Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:15:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is it so damn hard to get hold of Bitcoins?  (Read 2654 times)
chickenado (OP)

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 11, 2010, 07:27:02 PM
Last edit: October 11, 2010, 07:50:52 PM by chickenado

MtGox and Bitcoinmarket are frozen, Bitcoin Exchange only selling small amounts, the other traders accept Liberty Reserve, but getting hold of Liberty Reserve itself is tricky  - all the exchanges listed on their site bring up scam complaints on Web of Trust.  Then there's still cash in the mail, but that too is too risky for anything above $100.

It almost feels like someone doesn't WANT me to own Bitcoins.  Angry

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 11, 2010, 07:35:00 PM

I agree.

Perhaps it is some bigger group / government bodies even..

Someone smart here in this forum ought to qwuickly come up with an idea to solve this issue.

where are all the experts?

Beelzebuddy

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2010, 07:45:48 PM

You don't need conspiracy theories here.

Like all real money - funny money conversions, scammers are everywhere, which makes the most convenient routes (eg paypal) steer well clear.

Also, this is the bitcoin community.  EVERYONE here wants bitcoins.  Not everyone wants to part with them, for any price.  Therefore, the local economy here will favor hoarding.  It'll take a concerted effort to shift people into parting with their BTC.

Also also, bitcoins are currently rising in value, at least according to mtgox.  This encourages further hoarding in hopes that BTC will rise more, which in turn does make BTC rise more.  This will continue until people start realizing that their tulip bulbs just aren't going to sell in any significant volume, and the price will crash.

Possible Solution

Forget buying with money.  What else could someone pay you BTC for?  Do you play any games that involve trading?  Do you have any skills to lend?  Post it to the bartertown thread, and look for other people you could sell things to.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 11, 2010, 09:13:45 PM

Also, this is the bitcoin community.  EVERYONE here wants bitcoins.  Not everyone wants to part with them, for any price.  Therefore, the local economy here will favor hoarding.  It'll take a concerted effort to shift people into parting with their BTC.

Hoarding and saving are the same thing.  It won't take any kind of 'concerted effort' to get those with mass volumes of Bitcoin to start spending when the time is right.  Bitcoins aren't mature yet, not really ready for mass consumption anyway.  This will change at some point in the next couple of years, after the price stablizes.  Which cannot happen while either the market is still in it's massive expansion, or with the inflation of Bitcoin over 10% APR.  I'd say sometime around 2012 bitcoin will either be a maturing technology, or it will become obvious that we've all been fools.

Also also, bitcoins are currently rising in value, at least according to mtgox.  This encourages further hoarding in hopes that BTC will rise more, which in turn does make BTC rise more.  This will continue until people start realizing that their tulip bulbs just aren't going to sell in any significant volume, and the price will crash.

There is no evidence that I've seen that Bitcoin is in a bubble.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
October 23, 2010, 03:04:10 PM

There is no evidence that I've seen that Bitcoin is in a bubble.

There may be a small bubble waiting somewhere, even the hard currencies as gold and silver sometimes get overpriced by speculation.

Lucky for us, bitcoin is even more deflationary than gold, silver or any bullion based currency, so it should be less suspective to price bubbles.

Anonymous

October 24, 2010, 02:45:57 AM

Bitcoin  Market appears to be doing well again. I recently sold 3000 coins there with no problem. I recommend them highly.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2010, 03:50:37 AM

Bitcoin  Market appears to be doing well again. I recently sold 3000 coins there with no problem. I recommend them highly.

New registration is not open. It has been suggested that it be opened, but PayPal buying blocked. That seems like a good idea to me, haven't heard from dwdollar about it though.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
pointbiz

Activity: 437
Merit: 415

1ninja

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 07:38:21 PM

how does someone go about getting an invite to bitcoinmarket.com ?

Coder of: https://www.bitaddress.org      Thread
Open Source JavaScript Client-Side Bitcoin Wallet Generator
Donations: 1NiNja1bUmhSoTXozBRBEtR8LeF9TGbZBN   PGP
saqwe

Activity: 700
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 09:28:18 PM

i understand bitcoinmarket for going back to invite-only, since the media attention, i guess the scammer-rate rose exponentially...

i sell invites for 0.01 if you have an ebay-history 10+ positive reviews

cheers,
jan
Kevets

Activity: 16

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 09:40:43 PM

I'm crazy enough to buy an invite.  What info do you need from me?  I'm +390 on eBay.
saqwe

Activity: 700
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 11:57:35 PM

I'm crazy enough to buy an invite.  What info do you need from me?  I'm +390 on eBay.
If you have a 10+ eBay-history I'll send you an invite to www.bitcoinmarket.com after you send me 0.01 BTC to
17BVkXsLp1c39KmLE6uTuhc1VoiooM3qMY
Its an invite-only website so send the identifier of your transaction to  jandermann22 @ eBay and the eMail-adress you'd like the invite to be sent to.
Kevets

Activity: 16

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 12:38:49 AM

Sent you 0.01BTC and a message via eBay.   Still waiting for transaction confirmation though.
froggy

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 12:55:02 AM

I was going to recommend coinpal at http://coinpal.ndrix.com/ but I've just noticed that Paypal have shut them down.  I was lucky to have used them only about 2 or 3 weeks before the shutdown appears to have happened and got my bitcoins within an hour or so.  The difficulty in transferring dollars/pounds etc to Bitcoins is indeed something that is a bit concerning for the Bitcoin economy. 
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 01:18:04 AM

It's not hard at all. There are plenty of people on bitcoin-otc that will take checks (you can fax checks AFAIK), cash in the mail, wire transfer and Western union.

You can use credit cards with western union too, fwiw.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: