Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:55:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can PP tell if you were hacked?  (Read 1128 times)
sublime5447 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 10:03:20 PM

The question is can paypal tell if you were hacked or not? They say they can.

I am not a tech guy. I know very little about hacking.

I have an on going debate about this with death and taxes. I have been told several times by Paypal that they can tell if your computer was hacked and a unauthorized transaction was sent or not. I asked if they could tell even if a proxy was used they say yes.
The reason that this is important to me is that if you send a payment as a gift from your home IP address it is not protected and can not be reversed. What makes you think that you might say?
Well I am glad you ask. The reason that I say that is I have tried to do it and could not. I had a guy rob me on 10 coins. I didn't think it would be a big deal. I will just charge back i say... fuck no i wont, no matter what I said they wouldn't refund.

So I say you can't charge back gifts sent from you normal IP address and that PP can tell if you were hacked or not and death and taxes says I am a dumb ass.
I said let bust this myth, he says he can no problem but isn't willing to risk his account standing  Roll Eyes I even offered a BTC if he could do it.

So what are the facts? can gifts be easily reversed? or is death and taxes the dumb ass?

John the dog made a good point about it saying that if it was funded by a CC you could just charge back with them, but my response to that is that you can set it up to only take payments from PP that are not funded with CC. 

---The point-- if you know someone sent from home (normal IP) as a gift that is not funded by CC IT CAN NOT BE REVERSED.

I am not interested in your bullshit theories, I dont care what some hero member says, If you can prove this is wrong with facts I would love to hear it. Other wise keep the smart ass comments to yourself.   

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 10:08:00 PM

The question is can paypal tell if you were hacked or not? They say they can.

I am not a tech guy. I know very little about hacking.

I have an on going debate about this with death and taxes. I have been told several times by Paypal

The point here is that you believe more in some anonymous paypal drone over a well known and high reputation community member. D&T is right, anyway.

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
sublime5447 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 10:13:57 PM

Ass kisser. I said I dont care what some hero member says. I am not here to suck off the senor members. I am here to find out the fucking truth. So like I said keep your dumb ass comments to yourself unless you can prove this wrong with facts.
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 10:21:46 PM

D&T is right, you and PP monkeys are wrong.
I would care to explain, but you will not understand.

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
sublime5447 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 10:23:29 PM

Thanks for nothing  Tongue
velacreations

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 10:45:12 PM

paypal can look at IP addresses and make a judgement based on that evidence.  If it is a gift, and if it is from one of the IP addresses you use with your paypal account, then no, they probably won't reverse it.

That being said, I have read accounts of people basically convincing the paypal operator at the time to reverse gifts, something they don't normally do.

John is right as well, if it was funded via CC, then they can chargeback.  The only method I know to avoid CC funding is through mass payments, which only works on pre-approved business or premium accounts.

The truth of the matter is that paypal does things differently on each case. 

For example, when it comes to virtual goods and/or services. Sometimes, they will back the buyer, sometimes the seller.  People say they always back the buyer, but that is not true (in fact, it even says so in the TOS).  I have been the buyer a few times for services/virtual goods where I was scammed and paypal failed to file in my favor, even when the seller provided no evidence whatsoever (they only replied with "virtual goods").

So, it depends on who you get looking at your case, basically.  Generally, no gifts can't be disputed, unless they claim hacked account.  If you can show that their account was not hacked (like an agreement, agreeing to pay), then paypal will likely find in your favor.  But not always.

sublime5447 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 10:56:01 PM

Thanks for the input, can you link or show one instance where a buyer was refunded when sent as a gift from their normal IP?

"That being said, I have read accounts of people basically convincing the paypal operator at the time to reverse gifts, something they don't normally do".

^ can you link to that?
velacreations

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 11:19:19 PM

Thanks for the input, can you link or show one instance where a buyer was refunded when sent as a gift from their normal IP?

"That being said, I have read accounts of people basically convincing the paypal operator at the time to reverse gifts, something they don't normally do".

^ can you link to that?
yeah, let me find them again.  Like I said, they are just personal accounts, so who knows if they are real, but it seemed possible.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 11:27:17 PM

PayPal looks at the logs and determines if they feel that the payment was unauthorized. You're the dumb ass here, not D&T.
velacreations

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 11:34:43 PM

PayPal looks at the logs and determines if they feel that the payment was unauthorized. You're the dumb ass here, not D&T.
every dispute I've seen they have asked for evidence from both sides.  If you can provide evidence that supports your case that the account was not hacked, then I say you have better chances.

But with paypal, nothing is 100%

sublime5447 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 11:42:42 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2013, 11:56:04 PM by sublime5447

Thanks TF. From what I hear you are the dumb ass who thinks he can write code, but cant.

And who doesn't understand macro economics and thinks we will have hyper inflation and not a deflationary collapse.

Shouldn't you be ignoring me?
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 04:06:09 AM

I'll put the points out here for the PP debate.

A) There is absolutely no way of the seller knowing if you are using your original IP addresses in a deal. I have seen examples where malicious buyers purposely using proxiesand unorthodox hours when sending money to an unwitting seller, and thus charging back easily over claims of being 'hacked'.

B) The CC company sides with the user 99% of the time. Nuff' said.

C) Ever hopped over Darknet? PayPal accounts are going at a dime a dozen over there. The rest is history.

D) and so on...

I still accept PP payments, but I am very selective of whom I conduct my business with. Even if the person is not malicious, his other customers might be. Unless you operate it like D&T where they only send out payment using PP and never accept payment via PP, there is always the inherent risk where you and your other customers might get charged back/frozen when a single customer of yours used bad accounts or charged backed you.
whitenight639

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 04:20:51 AM

I dunno about gifts but if you sent a normal payment for a good or service from your normal IP then you can always claim that the goods or service were not as described or were defective or never received.

But not everybody has static IP addresses and they can change daily even from the same PC.

125uWc197UW5kM659m4uwEakxoNHzMKzwz
sublime5447 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 04:44:15 AM

I'll put the points out here for the PP debate.

A) There is absolutely no way of the seller knowing if you are using your original IP addresses in a deal. I have seen examples where malicious buyers purposely using proxiesand unorthodox hours when sending money to an unwitting seller, and thus charging back easily over claims of being 'hacked'.

B) The CC company sides with the user 99% of the time. Nuff' said.

C) Ever hopped over Darknet? PayPal accounts are going at a dime a dozen over there. The rest is history.

D) and so on...

I still accept PP payments, but I am very selective of whom I conduct my business with. Even if the person is not malicious, his other customers might be. Unless you operate it like D&T where they only send out payment using PP and never accept payment via PP, there is always the inherent risk where you and your other customers might get charged back/frozen when a single customer of yours used bad accounts or charged backed you.

Man John the dog is the man or the dog one of the two! Two cheers for John! You do great work. Thanks
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 04:48:59 AM

Shouldn't you be ignoring me?
I definitely should, but your post title caught my attention because it shows the lack of knowledge you have. Either way, your ignore isn't going to come off again since your posting quality has somehow declined.
sublime5447 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 04:59:40 AM

just when you didnt think it could get any worse. Still going to be watching to see if you are a crook  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: