Bitcoin Forum
December 12, 2017, 09:18:08 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Email problems using Thunderbird & Enigmail for GPG  (Read 1151 times)
Longclaw

Activity: 16

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 12:39:38 AM

I'm trying to use Thunderbird and Enigmail (windows 7) for sending encrypted messages via GPG.  But the email providers I've tried haven't worked 100%.  Is there one that works best for Thunderbird or for another GPG interface?

The following are the email providers I've tried and the result:

Hushmail -  need premium service.  Kind of defeats purpose of being anonymous.

vmail  - kept getting "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender", saying my IP address is blocked to prevent spam, even though I tried sending from my home IP address.

hotmail - doesn't handle attachments using Thunderbird and couldn't send my public ID key using attachments or a simple cut/paste.

fastmail - can't send mail because doesn't allow SMTP (outgoing server) unless you upgrade to their paying service.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinOxygen

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 12:45:21 AM

I'm trying to use Thunderbird and Enigmail (windows 7) for sending encrypted messages via GPG.  But the email providers I've tried haven't worked 100%.  Is there one that works best for Thunderbird or for another GPG interface?

The following are the email providers I've tried and the result:

Hushmail -  need premium service.  Kind of defeats purpose of being anonymous.

vmail  - kept getting "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender", saying my IP address is blocked to prevent spam, even though I tried sending from my home IP address.

hotmail - doesn't handle attachments using Thunderbird and couldn't send my public ID key using attachments or a simple cut/paste.

fastmail - can't send mail because doesn't allow SMTP (outgoing server) unless you upgrade to their paying service.

why don't you post this on a technical forum?

BTCOxygen PPS Mining Pool 2% Fee  <<<  Join Now
Longclaw

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 01:20:30 AM

I'm a newbie, so restricted.  Eventually I want to move it.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 01:45:58 AM

Hotmail handles attachments very well in Thunderbird.
And I just sent an encrypted test mail from my Hotmail and it worked. Pub key attachment included.

Longclaw

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 02:04:41 AM

Hotmail handles attachments very well in Thunderbird.
And I just sent an encrypted test mail from my Hotmail and it worked. Pub key attachment included.

Thanks for the reply.

Which version of Thunderbird are you using?  I read that hotmail had attachment problems after version 3.*.*.  I have version 16.0.1.  Also, are you using a VPN client like hotspotshield while using Thunderbird?  I have hotspotshield enabled.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 02:08:39 AM

16.0.1 also.

No VPN. Just behind my wifi router lol
Most likely hotmail is blocking hotspotshield IP's, because of spam/scams, you know.

Longclaw

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 04:04:05 AM

Yeah, hotmail seems to work better with hotspotshield turned off.  Still playing with it.  Thanks for the input.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.