Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:14:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 12-Year-Old Girl Shoots Intruder During Home Invasion In Bryan County  (Read 4387 times)
Atlas (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 06:00:48 AM

A cop is minutes away when seconds matter. A gun on the other hand...

http://www.newson6.com/story/19858704/12-year-old-girl-shoots-intruder-during-home-invasion

BRYAN COUNTY, Oklahoma - A 12-year-old girl took matters into her own hands during a home invasion in southeast Oklahoma.
It happened on Wednesday when the girl was home alone. She told police a stranger rang the doorbell, then went around to the back door and kicked it in. She called her mom, Debra St. Clair, who told her to get the family gun, hide in a closet and call 911.

That was when St. Clair dropped what she was doing and raced home.

"I drove home at a really fast pace to try to get to her, and when I got here the police were already here. And they had the suspect," she said.

During that time, the intruder made his way through the house. St. Clair's daughter told deputies the man came into the room where she was hiding and began to open up the closet door. That was when the 12 year old had to make a life-saving decision.

"And what we understand right now, he was turning the doorknob when she fired through the door," said the Bryan County Undersheriff Ken Golden.

The bullet hit the intruder, who deputies identified as 32-year-old Stacey Jones. He took off but did not get far before officers took him down.

"He was sitting down, the policemen had him apprehended at the end of the block. All I saw was some blood coming down his back. I'm not exactly sure where his injury was, but I saw some blood there," explained St. Clair.

Jones was taken to a Texas hospital by helicopter after the incident. An investigator on the case said Jones was released from the hospital Thursday and extradited to the Bryan County Jail.

The 12-year-old girl was not injured during the ordeal.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 06:11:50 AM

Good girl.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Arto
Donator

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 09:05:20 AM

Good girl.

+1. This reminded me of the following essay by Marko Kloos a few years back:

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force. The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gangbanger, and a single gay guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat--it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed. People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser. People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level. The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weightlifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation...and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 09:08:16 AM

Heh... the International Criminals Union tweeted about this:

Need more #guncontrol / #victimdisarmament / #criminalsafety NOW to stop our blood running in the streets... http://ow.ly/eColw

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Arto
Donator

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 09:18:59 AM

There was some additional pertinent information in the video report:

[The suspect Stacey] Jones was also arrested back in September of 2011 for allegedly abducting a 17-year-old girl with a diminished mental capacity.

Charlie Prime

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 12:21:10 PM

This is why I trained my daughters to keep shooting until the threat stops moving.

Hollywood teaches people that one bullet kills bad guys.  That is a dangerous belief.

Ambit    ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  █████
██
████████████
Become part of the mining family
✔ SECURED  │ WHITEPAPER │  ★ 171% ROI
██   
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
█████  ██
██
████████████
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 01:27:07 PM

This is why I trained my daughters to keep shooting until the threat stops moving.

Hollywood teaches people that one bullet kills bad guys.  That is a dangerous belief.

I think it depends on the caliber, I would think something like a .308 rifle will pretty much 1 shot 1 kill, or at least disable the guy with one shot. Though any hand gun caliber would definite not do it.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 01:56:04 PM

I think it depends on the caliber, I would think something like a .308 rifle will pretty much 1 shot 1 kill, or at least disable the guy with one shot. Though any hand gun caliber would definite not do it.

It depends on if it hits and where it hits. Even a .308 will not kill you if it just grazes or hits your hand or something.

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
Atlas (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 10:35:24 PM

A .22 can kill if it hits the stomach, chest or head. It definitely has in home invasion cases. If it doesn't, it's easy to place another shot and fire again due to little recoil.

Mossad agents carry .22s for a reason.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 02:17:15 PM

+1 to good girl

It's a good news  Wink

BitcoinINV

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 02:40:33 PM

That is fantastic, I am glad I live in a state with the Castle Doctrine.

GernMiester

Activity: 285

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 04:28:56 AM

yay

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 04:32:32 AM

should be all over the national news

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Dancing Dan

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 04:36:30 AM

October 22, 2012 (GARY, Ind.) (WLS) -- Last Friday, Jerry Hood, 48, of Gary, Ind., left work and decided to go home during lunchtime. Gary police said Hood, who was with a co-worker, noticed activity in his house and called police for help, but did not wait for police to arrive. Instead he went in and lost his life when he disrupted a home invasion, police say. Hood died from multiple gunshot wounds.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local/indiana&id=8856120
myrkul

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2012, 04:51:30 AM

October 22, 2012 (GARY, Ind.) (WLS) -- Last Friday, Jerry Hood, 48, of Gary, Ind., left work and decided to go home during lunchtime. Gary police said Hood, who was with a co-worker, noticed activity in his house and called police for help, but did not wait for police to arrive. Instead he went in and lost his life when he disrupted a home invasion, police say. Hood died from multiple gunshot wounds.

That... was a poor decision.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2012, 05:35:37 AM

Never own more guns than you can carry at any time.

He could have handed a spare to the co-worker and watched both exits from cover.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 11:25:22 AM

In the first paragraph it says he is 48, but a couple lines lower it says he was about to turn 47 in November? Somebody failed a fact check.

The story does not say if he was armed. Based on what it does say about him, "said La Shawn Daniels, niece: 'He was a family man, family first, there for everyone'", I would venture to guess he was probably not armed.

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
myrkul

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 04:07:33 AM

What's your point and what do the two stories have to do with each other?

Nothing and nothing?

Well, both involve a home invasion, and both involve someone getting shot.

Interestingly, in the second story the invaders successfully defended the home from being "invaded" a second time. So guns remain a great home defense weapon... even if it's not your home.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 04:17:27 AM

So, both stories support the idea that having a gun in the home can prevent successful home invasions? Got it! Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I don't think that was the intent behind posting it, but that does seem to be the end result.

TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 06:14:15 AM

More like... having a gun in your hand (and that of your comrade) will ensure you have a fighting chance at not getting killed with impunity.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: