Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:38:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Difficulty level for mining  (Read 877 times)
Devious (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 04:35:02 PM

With the rise of the ASIC machines, the difficulty level will obviously go up.  I just don't think it's going to go up as much as the numbers I've been seeing ( !0x or more).  Perhaps the logic is flawed, but here's my theory.

The difficulty level will go up as the ASIC's are released, this will/should stop GPU miners if for no other reason that power costs, and insignificant BTC payout.  The GPU miners will slowly leave the playing field, which will "slowly" lower the difficulty, or most likely prohibit it from rising too quickly.  There will be a shift from a lot of miners to a few, as most miners aren't going to buy an ASIC's to mine with.  Most used the BTC to justify that gaming rig, IMHO.

So do you think the GPU's leaving will be enough to stop the difficulty from rising too drasticly?

and

Will the shift from a lot of people mining and making a little, to a few mining making more per person hurt the BTC economy? Or will they simply buy them?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
osmosisjoe

Activity: 9

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 04:46:33 PM

If anything it should stabilize the economy and make this a more "serious" currency as not every teenager with a gaming rig will be able to pull more bitcoin out of thin air.

BTC is starting to reach a critical mass where small businesses are starting to accept it. Soon it will break through to mainstream and the value will skyrocket like Gold did from the 1980's-currently.

And this is one bubble that could only pop if the Government decided to outlaw bitcoin.
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 06:28:29 PM

BTC is starting to reach a critical mass where small businesses are starting to accept it. Soon it will break through to mainstream and the value will skyrocket like Gold did from the 1980's-currently.

And this is one bubble that could only pop if the Government decided to outlaw bitcoin.

There will be a critical point, and the sooner it is passed the better, at which prohibition will become totally ineffective, nay, counterproductive. We see it with drugs, books and other things: outlawing them just draws more attention to them, and possible resultant supply cuts send the price soaring.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
SAC

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 07:07:24 PM

With the rise of the ASIC machines, the difficulty level will obviously go up.  I just don't think it's going to go up as much as the numbers I've been seeing ( !0x or more).  Perhaps the logic is flawed, but here's my theory.

The difficulty level will go up as the ASIC's are released, this will/should stop GPU miners if for no other reason that power costs, and insignificant BTC payout.  The GPU miners will slowly leave the playing field, which will "slowly" lower the difficulty, or most likely prohibit it from rising too quickly.  There will be a shift from a lot of miners to a few, as most miners aren't going to buy an ASIC's to mine with.  Most used the BTC to justify that gaming rig, IMHO.

So do you think the GPU's leaving will be enough to stop the difficulty from rising too drasticly?

and

Will the shift from a lot of people mining and making a little, to a few mining making more per person hurt the BTC economy? Or will they simply buy them?

Some numbers. 150th/s minimum ASICs on order right now or roughly 7x the 22th/s of existing network. Right there that is a 7x increase in diff once it is all deployed take into account the reward halving and your at 14x present day diff. If all gpus stop then your back to 6x or in present day 12x.
Monkey1

Activity: 868
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 09:13:22 PM

Exactly. Plus many current miners use free electricity, so they will continue regardless.  ASIC will make the difficulty skyrocket.  No Question.

▄▄█████▄▄
         ▄▄███████████▄▄
      ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
   ▄▄███████████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▀██▀       ▀▀████████
███████  ▄████  ███████▄  ███████
███████ █████  ██████████ ███████
███████ ██████████  █████ ███████
███████  ▀███████  ███▀   ███████
████████▄▄        ██   ▄▄████████
 ▀█████████████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████████████▀▀
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
         ▀▀███████████▀▀
            ▀▀█████▀▀

.THRIVING CRYPTOCURRENCY..
.MARKET WITH CRYPTOBONDS..

▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

INITIAL COIN OFFERING
SEPTEMBER 30

██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
██████
         ▄▄████████▄▄
     ▄████████████████▄
   ▄███▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀███████▄
  █████ ███████ █▄▀███████
 ██████ ███████ ███▄▀██████
▐██████ ███████▄▄▄▄▄▄ █████▌
▐██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████▌
▐██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████▌
 ██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████
  █████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ ████
   ▀███▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄██▀
     ▀████████████████▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀

...READ THE....
.WHITEPAPER.

▄▄████████▄▄
     ▄████████████████▄
   ▄████████████████████▄
  ███████████████▀▀  █████
 ████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
 ████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
  ████████████████▄▄██████
   ▀████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
MEDIUM
REDDIT
GITHUB
SLACK
Fjordbit

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 03:04:04 PM

and

From the known numbers in sales from the first day ASICs went up, there was at least 8TH ordered and more likely about 12TH just for the one day. This is enough to offset half the current miners. Plus, there was a post where BFL Josh confirmed they had enough pre-orders to multiply the difficulty by 10. Personally, I think that's small, and as long as the return is there, the difficulty will keep rising.
Devious (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 03:40:41 PM

With the difficulty going up so much and the halving happening, shouldn't BTC go up in value? 
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 03:54:03 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2012, 04:22:18 PM by DeathAndTaxes

With the difficulty going up so much and the halving happening, shouldn't BTC go up in value?  

Price affects difficulty, difficulty doesn't affect price.
miner2049

Activity: 42

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 04:25:46 PM

With ASIC mining, it seems that once FGPU/GPU mining becomes cost prohibitive, then the new ASIC mining will be the new standard.  Since I am new at this, I understand that CPU mining became cost prohibitive once GPU mining took over.  I think the same will be true even more so with the reward being reduced to only 25BTC per block. Surprisingly the difficulty, rough estimate by eyeballing this chart http://bitcoin.sipa.be/ , increased nearly a 100 fold during the first six months of 2011.

Most likely there will be a geometric increase again once the ASIC miners come online.

Devious (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 04:48:07 PM

Right, but what about the halving?

Price affects difficulty, difficulty doesn't affect price.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 04:52:12 PM

Halving will have some effect on price but the halving has been known for a long time.  It has been know since prior to the first block being mined.  There is a large existing supply.  The halving doesn't cut the supply if half it simply cuts the increase in the supply in half.

IMHO the effect has already been accounted for by the market.
bitpapers

Activity: 8

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 05:00:52 PM

Soon it will break through to mainstream and the value will skyrocket like Gold did from the 1980's-currently.

Gold's value hardly skyrocketed in that time.
Devious (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 05:02:45 PM

Thanks.  I've been wondering if that was the reason for the increase this year...

Halving will have some effect on price but the halving has been known for a long time.  It has been know since prior to the first block being mined.  There is a large existing supply.  The halving doesn't cut the supply if half it simply cuts the increase in the supply in half.

IMHO the effect has already been accounted for by the market.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: