Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 06:22:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Googlecoin or Facecoin?  (Read 745 times)
pilscoop (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 05:55:08 PM

Would it make sense for companies like these to issue a coin?
Facecoin could be used for tipping inside Facebook for example.
What do you think? Could something like this help spread cryptocurrencies to the masses?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinNational
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1010

Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 06:14:51 PM
Last edit: October 24, 2015, 04:01:16 AM by BitcoinNational

yeh lurking beast

---

but the uber fiat richeez are making sure we'all build-up the neo crypto empire for them to later buy up with the wave of their magic fiat wand.

Or is it fiat flute?

Or sugar mountain cubes?

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄████▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▄
         ▄████████████████▄▄▄███████
       ▄█████████████████████████████
     ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████████▄
   ▄████████▀█▀███▀        ███████████
 ▄████████▀███             ███████████
▄███████▀████                ██████████▄
███████████▀                  ██████████
 ██████▄████                   ██████▄███
  ██████▄████                 ▄█████████
   ██████▄████              ▄██████████
    ██████▄█████▄▄▄▄▄     ▄████████▀
     ██████▄████████████▄████████▀█▀██▀
      ██████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀█▀██▀
       ██████████████████████▀█▀█▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
                      ▀██▀▀
─────────────────
Revolutionized.  ──

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.WHITEPAPER.
ANN Thread
Reddit

█████
██
██ █
██ █
██ █
   █

─────────────  Join
SMARC token ICO

█████
   ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 06:34:38 PM

What do you think? Could something like this help spread cryptocurrencies to the masses?

As a distributed token without KYC built in? Not a chance. These companies will never give up control of tokens since it would open them up to massive regulatory issues. Can Facebook or Google compete by easily moving around USD or fiat? Hell yes. But with a crypto token that the end user can transfer at will and doesn't have to disclose identity? No way.

canth
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 08:23:15 PM

No, no it certainly would-fucking-not.

Fortunately for the rest of the world it's illegal for the same reason google isn't allowed to pay your salary in google bux, and facebook isn't allowed to pay your salary in facebux.

Good thing there's stuff like laws people much smarter than you happened to enact before you were born so you didn't grow up one day and soil yourselves while they retired.

Cryptocurrency isn't going to the masses. It's going to broke AF basement dwelling creeps who don't realize that there's still a world going on outside of the internet, where most of the people are.

There are more than 3 billion people on the internet. The main reason the other 4 billion people aren't on the internet is poverty. While there will always be a world outside of the internet, you'll be kidding yourself if you think that brick and mortar stores are going to outcompete the likes of Amazon.com and other ecommerce platforms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MnQJFEVY7s

tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3948
Merit: 1418

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 12:06:57 AM

FB could just easily issue "Like Tokens" without it being crypto.  Isn't there a Dogecoin tipbot for FB?  

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 12:17:11 AM

a currency i think is suppose to eventualy* replace paper money.
Tip's ?
Waste of time dumb crap.

I want a currency not a tipping token.
and no i don't think either would waste their time making a tipping coin..

FUD first & ask questions later™
asepticskeptic

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 12:30:31 AM

Fortunately for the rest of the world it's illegal for the same reason google isn't allowed to pay your salary in google bux, and facebook isn't allowed to pay your salary in facebux.

Good thing there's stuff like laws people much smarter than you happened to enact before you were born so you didn't grow up one day and soil yourselves while they retired.

Cryptocurrency isn't going to the masses. It's going to broke AF basement dwelling creeps who don't realize that there's still a world going on outside of the internet, where most of the people are.

There are more than 3 billion people on the internet. The main reason the other 4 billion people aren't on the internet is poverty. While there will always be a world outside of the internet, you'll be kidding yourself if you think that brick and mortar stores are going to outcompete the likes of Amazon.com and other ecommerce platforms.

I don't think that these 4 billion people living in poverty are there because amazon didn't give them a good deal on shea butter and charcoal filters, and that they have no way to settle their debts without an ecommerce platform.

They need what the rest of the world has right now - a fully funded debt fueled top down controlled government structure that isn't constantly being destabilized with the full force of a military that is actually strong enough to decimate public uprisings. Or the technology to cause them from not happening to begin with.

Not some seeds, dreams and a belly rub. Not moon rockets.

No it won't be brick and mortar, but composites printed from the front of the welfare line that gets them in order. And it won't be blockchain technology they pay in, because they won't have any need for money. Commerce will be something that gets phased out anyways, and as you've already pointed out, doesn't even currently exist for over half the people on the planet.

Can't need what you never lost to begin with, right?
cinnamon_carter
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

It's about time -- All merrit accepted !!!

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2015, 12:46:22 AM

Unless companies have specific uses in mind and plan to use only proof of work, well secured blockchains with specific use cases I think large corporations like this would be smarter to allow those of us who understand cryptography and how to run open source projects stay in control of the alt coin scene..     Yes probably 90% or more of all alt coins are junk including imo almost every proof of stake and almost every largely premined coin although not every one.......

There still are several strong alt coins running that anyone can use and adopt with secure blockchains and good development teams who are not even asking to be paid.

Also, on tipping.  Let's be honest. If the only use of an alt coin is tipping there is limited  growth for the future imo.... i could be wrong...

Check out my coin Photon
Merge Mine 5 other Blake 256 coins - 6x your hash power  https://www.blakecoin.org/

The obvious choice is not always the best choice.

LOOK DEEPER - Look into the Blake 256 Family -- CC
canth
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 12:51:39 AM

FB could just easily issue "Like Tokens" without it being crypto.  Isn't there a Dogecoin tipbot for FB?  

If it's not crypto then facebook can require you to have a facebook account, can revoke the tokens at will, change the total supply etc. At that point, it's no longer competitive with cryptocurrency, IMO. Can't fund wikileaks with Like Tokens. Smiley

canth
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 12:56:43 AM

I don't think that these 4 billion people living in poverty are there because amazon didn't give them a good deal on shea butter and charcoal filters, and that they have no way to settle their debts without an ecommerce platform.

They need what the rest of the world has right now - a fully funded debt fueled top down controlled government structure that isn't constantly being destabilized with the full force of a military that is actually strong enough to decimate public uprisings. Or the technology to cause them from not happening to begin with.

No it won't be brick and mortar, but composites printed from the front of the welfare line that gets them in order. And it won't be blockchain technology they pay in, because they won't have any need for money. Commerce will be something that gets phased out anyways, and as you've already pointed out, doesn't even currently exist for over half the people on the planet.

I agree that BTC in its current form is not the answer for hundreds of millions of people living on < $2/day in wages. However, BTC will change, evolve and may ultimately play a major role in democratizing access to finance with any mobile device (not just smart phones).

As far as ecommerce going away, I think you've drank a bit too deep from the Star Trek koolaid. Smiley I don't see this happening anytime before AI takes over, becomes a hive-mind and then there's no personal need to allocate resources or services. Short of this, even AI devices need electricity, maintenance, raw materials, etc.

As an example, take a look through the comments here: http://entertainment.slashdot.org/story/15/10/12/006239/can-star-treks-world-with-no-money-work-in-real-life

languagehasmeaning

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 01:18:33 AM

Googlecoin and Facecoin will have less privacy and less decentralization than bitcoin. Many uneducated people may them but the tech savvy will not.
mtnsaa
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 01:55:26 AM

I find it weird that neither of these companies established a token, especially Facebook. People pay for stupid stuff on games, actual dollars so you can imagine they will buy some tokens. And with some like tokens you can fund a cause on Facebook or used in groups, etc. I mean the possibilities are endless. I know there are many similar ideas, but it just takes Facebook or Google to do it and will be instantly used everywhere (mostly Facebook, Google had plenty of misfires in its recent history).
canth
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 02:14:55 AM

I find it weird that neither of these companies established a token, especially Facebook. People pay for stupid stuff on games, actual dollars so you can imagine they will buy some tokens. And with some like tokens you can fund a cause on Facebook or used in groups, etc. I mean the possibilities are endless. I know there are many similar ideas, but it just takes Facebook or Google to do it and will be instantly used everywhere (mostly Facebook, Google had plenty of misfires in its recent history).

The issue is that it's tangential to their business models and it opens them up to scrutiny and regulation that otherwise they can ignore. For example, in certain countries game companies (Blizzard) that offer goods in game are not allowed to also host a marketplace for those goods. Aka, you can't create infinite Bags of Holding and then put them on the marketplace to sell since that would essentially be a market manipulation.

Facebook and Google are smart to concentrate on moving around USD - let's face it, it's in far higher demand than tokens.

mtnsaa
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 02:46:27 AM

The issue is that it's tangential to their business models and it opens them up to scrutiny and regulation that otherwise they can ignore. For example, in certain countries game companies (Blizzard) that offer goods in game are not allowed to also host a marketplace for those goods. Aka, you can't create infinite Bags of Holding and then put them on the marketplace to sell since that would essentially be a market manipulation.

Facebook and Google are smart to concentrate on moving around USD - let's face it, it's in far higher demand than tokens.

I see how that can be difficult to implement due to those issues. Maybe taking out fiat altogether? Just tokens that can be used within the site and not bought. Facebook just send you some, or you win them with likes, etc. I know this raises other issues, people still paying to get some but Facebook is known for its security (I know laugh all you want but it's impressive if you think about it) so maybe they can handle or ban you.

I agree with you though that if they didn't do it until now, then maybe they are better without it or the options they have are too complicated and not worth it.
asepticskeptic

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 02:52:17 AM

I agree that BTC in its current form is not the answer for hundreds of millions of people living on < $2/day in wages. However, BTC will change, evolve and may ultimately play a major role in democratizing access to finance with any mobile device (not just smart phones).

As far as ecommerce going away, I think you've drank a bit too deep from the Star Trek koolaid. Smiley I don't see this happening anytime before AI takes over, becomes a hive-mind and then there's no personal need to allocate resources or services. Short of this, even AI devices need electricity, maintenance, raw materials, etc.

As an example, take a look through the comments here: http://entertainment.slashdot.org/story/15/10/12/006239/can-star-treks-world-with-no-money-work-in-real-life

Always drink extra deep from the kool aid. If it's anything non toxic they'll just call you greedy and you can carry on to the next cult.

I don't believe that finance can be democratized any more than I believe these 4 billion people need anything from the other 3 at all, but were moving a bit far away from whether or not companies should issue funbux.

As far as maintaining the illusion of choice in a post scarcity economy - there's 7000 alt coins. Infinite horizontal value scaling has brought no real value to this. Yet the hivemind continues to follow the value over and over again. These people rarely invest in value, they invest in the illusion of choice, and sometimes by random chance or manipulation by those who see that that's what these people follow, they make a dollar or two.

But the value is diminishing, because people are realizing that investing in random chance or manipulation is degenerate. The scammer can't make money if he's the only one playing the game. Btc won't evolve because its not something that can.

Ecommerce will, sure. But btc isn't fiat. Not just btc either. Every single crypto is a bitcoin as far as the rest of the world can tell.

Even if they hear about an altcoin, nobody's gonna fall for the 'new gold of the week' trick more than a few times.

Crypto is much easier to manipulate than fiat, so its much less suitable than fiat to hold value, and as such, all crypto tends to zero. And its not an implementation or design flaw, its something a little more close to home. For as long as crypto is in a parasitic relationship with a fiat denominated society, it will never be decentralized. If it's not decentralized, it can't hold more value than fiat.

This is why we don't use facebux, and this is why we don't use googlebux. How could you people forget that?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: