Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 10:23:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HMRC makes statement on Bitcoin in New Scientist  (Read 6315 times)
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 06:45:23 PM

That's good news!

Glad to know I'm not gonna be thrown in jail for holding Bitcoins.

They wont through you in jail, but they'll be watching the exchanges and come down on you like a ton of bricks if you trade your coins for cash and don't pay taxes on it. I'd stick to face to face trades if you're selling a lot of coins. Or just pay your taxes  Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4186
Merit: 4406

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 06:51:13 PM

That's good news!

They wont through you in jail, but they'll be watching the exchanges and come down on you like a ton of bricks if you trade your coins for cash and don't pay taxes on it. I'd stick to face to face trades if you're selling a lot of coins. Or just pay your taxes  Cheesy

in actual fact they dont inspect or watch exchanges, they just look at your bank accounts for amounts over your tax free threshold. nothing has changed in the last few decades, this is how HMRC has always worked.

this is mainly done if they get a tip-off. government agencys work mainly retroactive in regards to general public. they only work pro-active inregards to people or communications that highlight valuable information.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 07:03:10 PM

That's good news!

in actual fact they dont inspect or watch exchanges, they just look at your bank accounts for amounts over your tax free threshold. nothing has changed in the last few decades, this is how HMRC has always worked.

this is mainly done if they get a tip-off. government agencys work mainly retroactive in regards to general public. they only work pro-active inregards to people or communications that highlight valuable information.

Interesting, but are you sure this is the case? Sources etc? I know they don't have the resources to go after everyone who's diddling their taxes, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they went after a few big Bitcoin busts to put the fear out there.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: