Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:36:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New [ANN] [$XSEED] BitSeeds - Rainforest Foundation Charity - SHA256 PoW/PoS 10%  (Read 19465 times)
delong

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2016, 03:45:19 PM

FYI, blockchain got a little stuck yesterday and into today, but I just got it moving again.

While the chain has been frequently a little slow, actually stalling out for an extended time like that has been really rare since last summer. As mentioned upthread, Luke will be giving us an ETA for the remainder of the work he needs to do before the relaunch and coin swap. Once we have POW reintroduced these slow blockchain issues will be a thing of the past since mining seems to work a lot better at keeping the network moving smoothly.

We're in the home stretch here, so in the mean time, please remember to open and stake your wallet to help get us there smoothly!

Thanks for the further update, really looking forward to mining this again, and hopefully seeing trading action resume a bit on Bittrex.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crypto182

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 09, 2016, 09:22:21 PM

Lol when you come here hoping for news and updates, and instead you see the thread is actually shrinking and the
last comments have disappeared  Roll Eyes

This is actually a cool project, but Its been so long and dragged out waiting for anything to happen with it,
its hard to keep interest in it. It is a shame. However, I still hope it still goes ahead and fulfills its plans.  Smiley

delong

View Profile
April 15, 2016, 07:28:40 PM

Lol when you come here hoping for news and updates, and instead you see the thread is actually shrinking and the

This is actually a cool project, but Its been so long and dragged out waiting for anything to happen with it,
its hard to keep interest in it. It is a shame. However, I still hope it still goes ahead and fulfills its plans.  Smiley

Yeah, I hear that... Still hoping that xocel and worth will pull off a good relaunch, but time seems to be stretching...
worth (OP)

Activity: 558
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2016, 03:41:46 AM

Yeah, when I signed in I was notified one of my posts was deleted by a moderator with no explanation as to why. I also see that the message I'd quoted and responded to was also deleted so maybe it had something to do with Cryptodatabase's post...? Not sure if any other messages were deleted or again whyHuh

Yeah, I hear that... Still hoping that xocel and worth will pull off a good relaunch, but time seems to be stretching...

Funny you should mention that...  Smiley 

Today happens to be the 1-year anniversary of the original launch for BitSeeds.  Wanted to post this sooner, but while we have a couple more details to work out it looks like we should be ready to go a little later this week. 

Unlike what we were thinking a while back, most likely we will not have to send all our funds into Bittrex for a swap, but should be able to import our existing wallet.dat files. Either way, I will be recording a video with step-by-step instructions for both Windows users and one for Mac users to make sure everyone is able to make the transition to the new codebase smoothly. 

We're going to be doing some private testing of mining and the new wallets before releasing them publicly to make sure everything goes without issues this time. To keep things fair we'll have an initial 0 reward per block during testing, then switch to 0.025 XSEED per block for a few days as we open up to the general public, before resuming 10 full XSEED per block to make sure nobody feels left out if they don't read the forums every day.

Will be back with more details later this week!
worth (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2016, 12:02:37 AM

OK everyone, so here's what we're looking at for our timeline:

We'll be getting copies of the new codebase and wallets in a few days which we will not be posting immediately.  We're going to do some mining tests on a private pool -- testing with zero reward blocks -- and we'll be sharing the code with Bittrex so they can do their standard code review and prep for the new version.

We'll wait a bit to make sure everyone has had a chance to learn that the swap is coming up (please make sure to share this on Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, etc. so people know it's coming) and then at 4PM GMT Thursday the 28th we will be taking a snapshot of all wallet balances from the old chain.

See http://www.timebie.com/std/gmt.php?q=16  to check what time this is in your local time zone.

Within 24 hours after that, your balances will be available to you again on the new chain and once we've verified everything is working smoothly we'll release the new wallets and source to the public along with a new pair of video lessons - one for Windows, one for Mac - showing the steps to follow to upgrade and recover your existing funds. 

Assuming everything has been going smoothly at this point we will then open up public mining with a brief period of extremely low POW reward before reverting to 10 full XSEED per block and the original planned gradual reward reduction schedule of 0.025 XSEED reduction every 90 days over the next ~99 years.  The initial low reward will give everyone a chance to start mining without being penalized for not being one of the first people to mine.

Let me know if you have any questions and please RT any tweets about this from @BitSeeds and share it elsewhere to make sure everyone is prepared. I'm excited, how about you guys?
delong

View Profile
April 21, 2016, 02:39:22 PM

We'll be getting copies of the new codebase and wallets in a few days which we will not be posting immediately.  We're going to do some mining tests on a private pool -- testing with zero reward blocks -- and we'll be sharing the code with Bittrex so they can do their standard code review and prep for the new version.

We'll wait a bit to make sure everyone has had a chance to learn that the swap is coming up (please make sure to share this on Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, etc. so people know it's coming) and then at 4PM GMT Thursday the 28th we will be taking a snapshot of all wallet balances from the old chain.

See http://www.timebie.com/std/gmt.php?q=16  to check what time this is in your local time zone.

Within 24 hours after that, your balances will be available to you again on the new chain and once we've verified everything is working smoothly we'll release the new wallets and source to the public along with a new pair of video lessons - one for Windows, one for Mac - showing the steps to follow to upgrade and recover your existing funds. 

Assuming everything has been going smoothly at this point we will then open up public mining with a brief period of extremely low POW reward before reverting to 10 full XSEED per block and the original planned gradual reward reduction schedule of 0.025 XSEED reduction every 90 days over the next ~99 years.  The initial low reward will give everyone a chance to start mining without being penalized for not being one of the first people to mine.

Let me know if you have any questions and please RT any tweets about this from @BitSeeds and share it elsewhere to make sure everyone is prepared. I'm excited, how about you guys?

Great news, thanks worth for the perseverance!  I'm excited for the relaunch, and the reward being set at 10 seems fair and shouldn't punish the original miners, which is great to hear.  Thanks again to you and xocel for persistence in what was surely a frustrating process.  Hopefully all will go smoothly at relaunch and $XSEED will flourish without the taint of the original launch and dev.  Keep us posted!

crypto182

View Profile
April 21, 2016, 03:12:55 PM

Great update man, particular thanks to you and xocel for the work and commitment you have put into this.

Have always said this was a really nice project and im looking forward to watching where it evolves to next  Smiley

solid12345
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 21, 2016, 10:14:37 PM

Excited to see bitseeds revival, I still think this is an underrated project and is a killer bullet point to add to a resume for xocel to work with the rainforest foundation.
worth (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2016, 11:51:23 AM

Thanks for the support, guys!  It's been a long haul, but we're finally about there. Once we've all upgraded to the new version then we can start seeing progress on all the other parts of the BitSeeds project that have been on hold for the past year. 

We've got the special gift cards the Rainforest Foundation will be loading with BitSeeds in exchange for donations coming in about a month. About another month after that, our payment processor coin.co will begin allowing merchants to accept BitSeeds while getting a charitable tax deduction as that extra incentive over the typical fee savings of regular cryptos.

There will also be press coverage of the project plus we'll start seeing the Rainforest Foundation itself making BitSeeds an important part of its fundraising efforts which will get it in the hands of their donors.  We also have plans for mobile wallets and other stuff we'll be announcing as things move along.

Still looking good for Thursday snapshot of everyone's funds, with a Friday release of the new wallets (in the evening most likely). Will keep you posted as the week progresses. 
worth (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 11:08:14 PM
Last edit: April 28, 2016, 10:52:34 AM by worth

OK, so we've got our source code and I've passed it along to Bittrex to prep for the update and to our private pool owner who will be letting us throw some hashing power at it to check everything is going smoothly.

Just to reiterate, we will be test mining with zero block reward initially. As you can see from the code below, to be on the safe side we've given ourselves ~1 week worth of zero reward mining, followed by ~1 week (assuming 5 minute block times or 2016 blocks per week) of the reduced 0.025 XSEED blocks, then back to 10 and the originally planned gradual reduction.  

Code:
// miner's coin base reward based on nBits
int64_t GetProofOfWorkReward(unsigned int nBits, int64_t nFees, int nHeight)
{
    int64_t nSubsidy = 0 * COIN;

if (nHeight == 1)
return 112000000 * COIN;
else if (nHeight <= 2016)
nSubsidy = 0 * COIN;
else if (nHeight > 2016 && nHeight <= 4032)
nSubsidy = 0.025 * COIN;
else if (nHeight > 4032)
nSubsidy = 10 * COIN;

int nReductionFactor = nHeight / 25920;

nSubsidy = nSubsidy - ((COIN * 0.025) * nReductionFactor);

if (nSubsidy < 0)
nSubsidy = 0;

if (fDebug && GetBoolArg("-printcreation"))
        printf("GetProofOfWorkReward() : create=%s nBits=0x%08x nSubsidy=%" PRId64 "\n", FormatMoney(nSubsidy).c_str(), nBits, nSubsidy);

return nSubsidy + nFees;
}

The premine you see in the code above is what will be used to recreate the custodial staking funds for the Rainforest Foundation and to reallocate funds to all current BitSeeds owners.  We rounded up a little to make sure we had enough, so the plan is to burn any extra coins that we may end up with after funds are sent to everyone.

Update: Mining is going smoothly so far. One change is it looks like we're going to hold off a day or two before taking a snapshot of everyone's balances. We're doing this to better coordinate with Bittrex since we weren't able to get the source to them earlier in the week when we'd originally hoped.

So that also means the release of the new wallets will be bumped back to the beginning of next week, which I guess is cool because it gives me more time to get the needed tutorials recorded, edited, and published.  Smiley
worth (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 11:07:38 PM

OK guys, it turns out Bittrex was in the middle of a big project so they couldn't deal with the update on Friday so we delayed things so we could coordinate. We now have Monday May 2nd at 4PM GMT as the time for the snapshot of funds, and the funds should become available on the new chain within 24 hours.  Until that point, Bittrex has disabled deposits and withdrawals of XSEED to prevent anyone from accidentally losing funds.

Once the funds are available on the new chain and I've verified the import process is working smoothly, I'll release the new source and the compiled wallets for Windows and Mac and Bittrex will update.  I'll include instructions here, but will also record a video for Mac and a video for Windows users to help people import their old wallet.dat files.

I've been mining on a private pool for the last few days without problems and people will be able to start mining as well of course once the wallets are available, but keep in mind that we have zero reward blocks until block 2017, and reduced 0.025 reward blocks for the next ~ week (2016 more blocks).

Again, snapshot of balances is happening again at 4PM GMT Monday the 2nd, here is a link to check what that is in your time zone:

http://www.timebie.com/std/gmt.php?q=16
worth (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 10:09:54 PM

OK, so the snapshot of balances happened earlier today on block 28553. Have just received the Windows wallet and am waiting on the OS X client. I'm going to import the balance from a test wallet shortly and record a video on the process for Windows users and will do the same for Mac users once I get the wallet.

In the mean time, here's a sneak preview of the v2.0 wallet - I think my redesign came out pretty well:

worth (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2016, 11:05:18 AM

OK, I've updated Github with the new source and you can download the compiled wallet there as well:

https://github.com/BitSeedsOrg/Bitseeds#download-bitseeds

We're still waiting on the Mac wallet, but should have it in the next 24 hours or so. 

Windows users, download the .zip file and extract the contents into a folder of your choice. Run it and let it sync, then exit and either delete or rename the brand new wallet.dat file from the BitSeeds-New folder in your Appdata/Roaming folder, then copy your original wallet.dat over from the old folder and run the one-time batch file.

Linux users compiling your own, you'll launch & sync, then move your wallet.dat as above and run bitseeds-qt -salvagewallet to recover the funds.

Any platform, if you have an encrypted wallet.dat file it will give you an error message and you'll need to follow some more complicated steps; there is a video on the way for this, too.

There is a readme file with more detailed instructions in the zip file and again, two video tutorials on the way.

Proof of Work is still running smoothly mining zero blocks for another 2 days or so. We have one pool already which will be made public before block 2017 when zero block rewards ends, and I'm sure others will join in as well.  If you have a favorite pool, ask them to add BitSeeds! 

Will be back as soon as I have the Mac client ready and the videos for you guys who need them. 
solid12345
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 03, 2016, 08:09:38 PM

The wallet looks slick, any chance we'll be getting a better block explorer soon too?  Smiley
worth (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2016, 10:55:30 PM

The wallet looks slick, any chance we'll be getting a better block explorer soon too?  Smiley

Thanks, the wallet redesign was my work. The plan is to have an Iquidus-based explorer soon including a rich list. I just emailed the dev about it a few minutes ago, actually. 

For anyone waiting on the Mac client, I just got it and I need to test it and then record the video on the migration process for Mac users, add the written instructions and an Automator script to help with the import process, then bundle it up in a .dmg file and make it available for download.  I'll be back with that in a few hours.
worth (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2016, 09:48:47 AM

I've updated the OP with the current download link for Windows and I added the Mac download.  

If you downloaded an earlier version of the Windows client and haven't imported your old funds yet, please re-download the zip file as I've improved the instructions and the bat file and made the process much easier for people with encrypted wallet.dat files!

You can also find both of the downloads via our git: https://github.com/BitSeedsOrg/Bitseeds#download-bitseeds

I've got the tutorial videos recorded and edited but still need to export and upload them, which I may not do until tomorrow since it's almost midnight Tuesday here and I just noticed I haven't eaten dinner.  Cheesy

Oh, also, Richie has updated the wallet at Bittrex, so you can withdraw and deposit funds again - just make sure to only do it with the new BitSeeds 2.0!

worth (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2016, 10:59:48 PM

The upgrade process is pretty easy to deal with, but I recorded tutorials for Windows and for Mac which I just posted to YouTube. Here are the links for those who need them.

Windows:
https://youtu.be/0uspoT5JJwg

OS X:
https://youtu.be/wq1iVFZsw6c

Please post an update letting me know you've upgraded successfully - not anticipating any issues, especially since simplifying the upgrade process yesterday, but I'd like to know how it's going for people.  Let me know!
worth (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2016, 11:24:10 PM

We have our first pool. You can point your SHA256 rigs at

stratum+tcp://wmikrut.com:4046

use your wallet address as the worker name and anything for the password.

wmikrut.com has stats for BitSeeds and all other coins on the pool.

Remember, blocks are zero reward until 2017 and we are on block 1820 as I type this, so we're roughly a day away.
worth (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2016, 12:28:48 PM

We have our first pool. You can point your SHA256 rigs at

stratum+tcp://wmikrut.com:4046

use your wallet address as the worker name and anything for the password.

wmikrut.com has stats for BitSeeds and all other coins on the pool.

Remember, blocks are zero reward until 2017 and we are on block 1820 as I type this, so we're roughly a day away.

Initial 0.025 XSEED block rewards have kicked in. Looks like there are 3 other people mining BitSeeds so far besides ourselves:

crypto182

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 09:19:43 PM

The upgrade process is pretty easy to deal with, but I recorded tutorials for Windows and for Mac which I just posted to YouTube. Here are the links for those who need them.

Windows:
https://youtu.be/0uspoT5JJwg

OS X:
https://youtu.be/wq1iVFZsw6c

Please post an update letting me know you've upgraded successfully - not anticipating any issues, especially since simplifying the upgrade process yesterday, but I'd like to know how it's going for people.  Let me know!

Awesome work man, very easy process to update, new wallet is really nice too.

Looking forward to future updates and seeing this incorporated with the Rainforest Foundation. Grin
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: