Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:41:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ultraprune merged in mainline  (Read 25396 times)
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2012, 02:13:38 AM

What will be the new dependency(s) for a typical Linux box?
Will BDB still remain a dependency also?
No new dependencies right now. BDB is still used for the wallets and will remain a dependency for the foreseeable future even after it moves off it for the wallets just for import if nothing else.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 03:02:28 AM

I've just merged my "ultraprune" branch into mainline (including Mike's LevelDB work).

Does this require downloading and re-processing the blockchain from the beginning?

Yes.  However, to save downloading, you may provide
Code:
-loadblock=DATA_DIR/blk0001.dat -loadblock=DATA_DIR/blk0002.dat

to import the old data files into the new bitcoin database backend (ultraprune/leveldb).

* "DATA_DIR" should be replaced with the directory where your blockchain was stored in <= 0.7.1.
It doesn't do this automatically? It really should before this is officially released. You could even just add them as implied bootstrap.dat files.

Luke-Jr
Legendary
expert

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 03:29:31 AM

I've just merged my "ultraprune" branch into mainline (including Mike's LevelDB work).

Does this require downloading and re-processing the blockchain from the beginning?

Code:

to import the old data files into the new bitcoin database backend (ultraprune/leveldb).

* "DATA_DIR" should be replaced with the directory where your blockchain was stored in <= 0.7.1.
It doesn't do this automatically? It really should before this is officially released. You could even just add them as implied bootstrap.dat files.
I'm sure 0.8 will do this (and more!). Seriously, we just released 0.7.1 (from master)... 0.8 is at LEAST a month off (probably longer). Git master isn't supposed to be end-user friendly and go-for-production right now. If you need something stable, use a release!

(I'm not necessarily addressing you specifically, just the general "omg it's crazy broken" sentiment I've seen lately)

Maged
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 04:19:39 AM

Code:

I'm sure 0.8 will do this (and more!). Seriously, we just released 0.7.1 (from master)... 0.8 is at LEAST a month off (probably longer). Git master isn't supposed to be end-user friendly and go-for-production right now. If you need something stable, use a release!

(I'm not necessarily addressing you specifically, just the general "omg it's crazy broken" sentiment I've seen lately)
I'm not worried that it won't be added now. I was just concerned that such a simple upgrade path didn't appear to have been considered, because statements like that would have usually added a mention that those commandline options will not be needed by release in order to avoid a full re-download.

gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2012, 04:31:09 AM

I'm not worried that it won't be added now. I was just concerned that such a simple upgrade path didn't appear to have been considered, because statements like that would have usually added a mention that those commandline options will not be needed by release in order to avoid a full re-download.
It's been considered and discussed, including trade-offs between upgrading in a way that allows switching back to old versions (but requiring a lot of extra disk space) or cleaning up... or offering a choice at first start up.

You're reading too much into a technology and development announcement. This isn't release notes. Tongue
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 05:00:43 AM

It's been considered and discussed, including trade-offs between upgrading in a way that allows switching back to old versions (but requiring a lot of extra disk space) or cleaning up... or offering a choice at first start up.

You're reading too much into a technology and development announcement. This isn't release notes. Tongue
Glad to hear it.

Mike Hearn
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 07:55:03 AM

The original LevelDB branch I made did an auto-migration, actually. It was a pretty bad hack and it seems to have got lost when sipa rebased it onto ultraprune, but it's not like we don't think about these things.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 03:13:42 PM

hey guys, decided to check out ultraprune (git git://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin from about 20 hours ago) and ran into problems:

First, I wanted to load the old block files. bitcoin-qt started up and showed me that it's downloading (or loading?) blocks. Pretty slowly (slow atom cpu here). Next morning I see this:

#> ./bitcoin-qt -loadblock=~/.bitcoin/blk0001.dat -loadblock=~/.bitcoin/blk0002.dat
Application asked to unregister timer 0x2b000010 which is not registered in this thread. Fix application.

Trying to start again gives the following popup:

And then:

And exit:

#> ./bitcoin-qt
bitcoin-qt: /usr/include/boost/thread/pthread/recursive_mutex.hpp:62: boost::recursive_mutex::~recursive_mutex(): Assertion `!pthread_mutex_destroy(&m)' failed.
Aborted

So I thought maybe I should report this here. Need more info?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Mike Hearn
Legendary
expert

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 04:19:42 PM

Could you provide your debug.log file please?

The timer warning can apparently be a bug in Qt itself:

https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-18910

What version of Qt do you have installed?
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2012, 04:35:27 PM

I'd like to have this implemented before moving anyone to a pruned chain.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=100779.20
(bitcoind saturating upload and affecting whole connection reliability)
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2012, 05:37:05 PM

I'd like to have this implemented before moving anyone to a pruned chain.
It's a good thing this has nothing to do with moving anyone to a pruned chain.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 07:08:31 PM
Last edit: October 23, 2012, 05:14:14 PM by molecular

debug.log: http://pastebin.com/mDYEG2d1
db.log: http://pastebin.com/fiXu6e2L

This contains the original "crash" and 2 tries of starting it (with the popups as described above).

#> qmake --version
QMake version 2.01a
Using Qt version 4.7.2 in /usr/lib/qt4
#> pkg-config --modversion QtCore

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
ChrisKoss

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2012, 08:25:04 PM

Mods, could you fork this discussion to keep it on topic?

Atlas, please make a new thread if you wish to discuss something that is not on-topic for this thread.

I am a consultant providing services to CoinLab, Inc.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 05:13:58 PM

original problem description: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=119525.msg1290009#msg1290009

This contains the original "crash" and 2 tries of starting it (with the popups as described above).

#> qmake --version
QMake version 2.01a

sipa suggested on #bitcoin-dev to try again with empty .bitcoin directory. I did (with loadblock= from old moved-away file)

it synced allright (30 hours), of course I had fresh empty wallet.

I then swapped in the pre-ultraprune (0.7.0 I think) wallet backup and voila: everything works.

This means I can't reproduce the error, at least not without re-loading the whole chain and the old wallet in place while doing that. Is this something I should do? Mabybe with newest git? Or just ignore the problem?

Mike Hearn
Legendary
expert

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 06:32:59 PM

Well the problem is probably that your old node had got stuck on block 178441 and wasn't making any further progress. I don't know why that might have happened though, was that block a special one (p2sh or something?).

It may be there's some kind of migration bug that only occurs when your node is in a particular stuck state. I'm not sure it's worth debugging all possible permutations of this given the ease of re-initialization.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 07:34:00 PM

Well the problem is probably that your old node had got stuck on block 178441 and wasn't making any further progress. I don't know why that might have happened though, was that block a special one (p2sh or something?).

It may be there's some kind of migration bug that only occurs when your node is in a particular stuck state. I'm not sure it's worth debugging all possible permutations of this given the ease of re-initialization.

This is possible. My old node wouldn't start any more ("out of memory").

So it's probably some special case, as you suspect, and I agree it's probably not worth the effort to dig into it.

The bad thing, however: it seems (at least to me as a user) to have screwed the wallet.dat (although it says the keys can still be loaded). Some users might have forgotten to back up and run into this. I wouldn't know how to progress from this state without a backup. I'm not sure a blockchain reload with the "screwed" wallet.dat would work... maybe I could try this (fresh .bitcoin dir + "screwed" wallet.dat)

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 07:49:10 PM
Last edit: October 23, 2012, 07:59:22 PM by cypherdoc

did you devs digitally sign the file bitcoin-0.7.1-win32-setup.exe?  SHA256SUMS.asc file for 0.7.1?

nvm
Pieter Wuille (OP)
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2012, 08:07:18 PM

For those who are interested, I've created test binaries of the current development code.

Use with caution - several bugs were already fixed, and there are probably some left - so don't use for mining or merchant purposes.

The auto-import system is not yet implemented, so please run on a clean data directory. There are still issues with the inital block downloading, which require another major refactor to fix entirely, and with the recent improvements, those may now be the limiting factor. Use -connect to a trusted/local node, or use -loadblock or bootstrap.dat for initial sync, if you want to see the full potential speed.

The binaries are here. Use at your own risk.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
Diapolo

Activity: 769
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2012, 08:44:49 PM

#> qmake --version
QMake version 2.01a

I'm rather sure more recent Qt version on the Linux boxes would save a few headaches...

Dia

Liked my former work for Bitcoin Core? Drop me a donation via:
1PwnvixzVAKnAqp8LCV8iuv7ohzX2pbn5x
bitcoin:1PwnvixzVAKnAqp8LCV8iuv7ohzX2pbn5x?label=Diapolo
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 06:22:30 AM

#> qmake --version
QMake version 2.01a

I'm rather sure more recent Qt version on the Linux boxes would save a few headaches...

Dia

no headaches here. That "timer bug" only occurs at exit time.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: