Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:44:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting a S3 and need a power supply OR what to do...  (Read 828 times)
jmintuck02 (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 05:49:04 PM

I am getting a new S3 Antminer and need to know, should I go after what kind  of power supply for this? Can I run it from the computer PSU or where can I get one, or just pick one up from a shop?

What wattage before I commit? I am so fking EXCITED!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DanielRo

Activity: 689
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 06:33:34 PM

S3 is using 340 W.
https://bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=00020140630025130637RV8OhOwt06BC
You need a power supply to be over 450 W to be sure it wont die in a few months.
You need two PCI-E exits(one or two cables) for normal use and four for overclicking.

You can also try with a 400 W PSU only if you have PSU warranty.

Nothing is impossible :-)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 07:12:31 PM

I am getting a new S3 Antminer and need to know, should I go after what kind  of power supply for this? Can I run it from the computer PSU or where can I get one, or just pick one up from a shop?

Biggest advice is do not go out and get cheapest one you can find, there is a reason some are cheap to buy.   Avoid ones that split the PCIe with bad guage wiring  (this is part of problem on many cheap PSU's).

Cheapest might be getting a server PSU like many sell and hook it up to that.  But with so little power needed I could also see a ATX working will if you find good quality for a decent price.

Feel free to post a PSU in here and someone will be able to tell you if it's likely a good or bad pick.
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 07:46:11 PM

Before you get too excited have you checked that you will make money? S3 is a couple of generations old now and at Today's difficulty you need to be paying less than 10 cents / KWH to make a few Cents, and every 2 Weeks it will get worse.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 07:51:58 PM

I too would encourage you to resist the urge to buy the cheapest power supply you can find. My reasoning is that a high quality supply will last across mining hardware generations. In a year it's possible the S3 will become unattractive to you, or it may break or whatever. If you have a high quality PSU, then you don't throw it away just because you give up on the S3. You should be able to re-use your PSU on another miner, or sell it for a reasonable price. Consider your PSU as an investment, and not strictly an expenditure.

While a server PSU could serve you well, take note that server PSU's tend be much noisier. My understanding is that the S3 is a pretty quiet miner, and it would be unfortunate to pair it with a server PSU if noise matters to you. Maybe you don't care about sound.

Best of luck with your S3.
jmintuck02 (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 09:21:40 PM

Thank you for the advice. Will purchase these 2 Antminer S3's and no more. Will get all I can out of them a month and turn most of the profit to cloud mining as pet projects Keep some for myself, of course.

I will be getting 80 CAD at the end of every month by these two, possibly plus the Antminer U3 I already have tripletted together.

I ought to make in full, slightly over a Ths with all three running. So that ought to bring me 84 CAD a month. For now.  Have the purchases ready and one to pay for in the morning.

So I will have 3 miners on a worker and address, likely at HashnesSt.

Jake36

Activity: 331
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 12:41:32 AM

Thank you for the advice. Will purchase these 2 Antminer S3's and no more. Will get all I can out of them a month and turn most of the profit to cloud mining as pet projects Keep some for myself, of course.

I will be getting 80 CAD at the end of every month by these two, possibly plus the Antminer U3 I already have tripletted together.

I ought to make in full, slightly over a Ths with all three running. So that ought to bring me 84 CAD a month. For now.  Have the purchases ready and one to pay for in the morning.

So I will have 3 miners on a worker and address, likely at HashnesSt.

If your getting 2 X S3's get at least a 1000 watt and run them both from 1 PS.

Better yet get the EVGA 1300 watt Platinum put both S3 (stock) with the U3 on it or leave the U3 off of it and slightly over-clock the S3's.
Coinminer11

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

Never risk more than what you're willing to lose

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2015, 12:53:14 AM

Server psu's are nice and inexpensive. Atx psu's are ready out the box. Depends on what you like but you can get a nice server psu for $30 or less that can power 2 S3's off ebay. I had my first S3 powered by a regular ATX psu and later on switched to using server psu's because I like making my own beefy wires :-)

If you are reading this,  you have too much time on your hands hahaha! If you're still reading this consider sending me some btc to my wallet on my profile.  Pennies make dollars and dollars make my life more interesting.  Seriously though stop reading this! LOL
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 02:03:04 AM

Server psu's are nice and inexpensive. Atx psu's are ready out the box. Depends on what you like but you can get a nice server psu for $30 or less that can power 2 S3's off ebay. I had my first S3 powered by a regular ATX psu and later on switched to using server psu's because I like making my own beefy wires :-)

it depends on server PSU but some are ready out of box to.  Like antminer PSU it is already connected and ready to go.

Others you can get a breakout board which makes it very very easy to connect PCIe cords.    So I would not make server PSU's sound much harder then ATX as long as you have the right supplies, or order right one.
Coinminer11

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

Never risk more than what you're willing to lose

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2015, 02:56:39 AM

it depends on server PSU but some are ready out of box to.  Like antminer PSU it is already connected and ready to go.

Others you can get a breakout board which makes it very very easy to connect PCIe cords.    So I would not make server PSU's sound much harder then ATX as long as you have the right supplies, or order right one.

I didn't intend to make it seem hard. Sorry if I can across as such. You are correct some do come out of the box ready.  While I do have some with breakout boards I also have some with wires soldered direct to them because I didn't want to wait for the board s. It's actually not difficult at all.

If you are reading this,  you have too much time on your hands hahaha! If you're still reading this consider sending me some btc to my wallet on my profile.  Pennies make dollars and dollars make my life more interesting.  Seriously though stop reading this! LOL
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 03:07:48 AM

I didn't intend to make it seem hard. Sorry if I can across as such. You are correct some do come out of the box ready.  While I do have some with breakout boards I also have some with wires soldered direct to them because I didn't want to wait for the board s. It's actually not difficult at all.

No worries.  If you go with one soldered direct it does take more skill.   I personally would spring for the breakout board, and get one with a breakout board.

But if you have decent soldering skills, and proper wires you can get it even cheaper doing that.   But I like predone personally.
Meech

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 06:28:54 PM

Happy mining and congrats!  Yes a 450w at least on the psu with at least 2 pci-e 6 pin leads.
Generating any Btc is more fullfilling than not.  Just don't spend a lot on your setup and your good.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 07:37:26 PM

I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH, LOOK AT THE 12VDC BUSSES(RAILS).

If each rail supports 20A you'll be fine BUT YOU MUST power one card with each rail.  The CPU 8 pin connector is one rail and the rest are the other, you'll have to cut off 1 6 pin PCI cable from one rail, cut the two 4 PCI cables plugs off and wire them into the 6pin.

MOST CHEAPER POWERSUPPLIES USE RAILS AND YOU MUST SEPERATER THEM

SEPERATE
THE
RAILS.

Jump green wire to black wire to turn on Powersupply.

HAVE I MENTIONED THAT YOU HAVE TO SEPERATE THE RAILS?

Oh by the by SEPERATE THE DC RAILS.

It is REALLY EASY to seperate they but.. YOU MUST SEPERATE THE DC RAILS, ON RAIL PER CARD(SIDE)
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 08:42:07 PM

I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH, LOOK AT THE 12VDC BUSSES(RAILS).

If each rail supports 20A you'll be fine BUT YOU MUST power one card with each rail.  The CPU 8 pin connector is one rail and the rest are the other, you'll have to cut off 1 6 pin PCI cable from one rail, cut the two 4 PCI cables plugs off and wire them into the 6pin.

MOST CHEAPER POWERSUPPLIES USE RAILS AND YOU MUST SEPERATER THEM

SEPERATE
THE
RAILS.

Jump green wire to black wire to turn on Powersupply.

HAVE I MENTIONED THAT YOU HAVE TO SEPERATE THE RAILS?

Oh by the by SEPERATE THE DC RAILS.

It is REALLY EASY to seperate they but.. YOU MUST SEPERATE THE DC RAILS, ON RAIL PER CARD(SIDE)

Just get a good PSU. If you need something cheap but still high quality, there's the EVGA Bronze, its like 40$. Its not recommended because it is not Gold or higher efficiency but at least its reliable and has a 10 years warranty.

Also the EVGA's power rating are Very conservative and is set for efficiency in mind. The real limit of an EVGA to be run 24/7 safely is very close to its rated limit on paper.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌