Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:52:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] BOUNTY: BFL SC die size (20BTC) and process node (20BTC)  (Read 8589 times)
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 10:30:42 PM
Last edit: November 08, 2012, 02:52:58 AM by eldentyrell

Edit 7-Nov-2012: BFL_Josh has posted both figures, so this bounty is now closed.

I will offer a 20BTC bounty to anybody who posts a measurement of the size of the die used in BFL's "SC" devices.  I'm assuming they all use the same chip.  It's really easy to get the die measurement from a broken device -- just grind off the plastic/ceramic top using a dremel and pull out a ruler.  I will be happy to escrow the bounty with a well-known forum member if you can present credible evidence that you're serious about this -- that way you can be sure you'll get paid before you totally wreck your already-broken device.

I need this figure in order to compute the η-factor for their product.

I will also offer a 20BTC bounty for knowledge of which process node BFL is using.  However, I caution in advance that it's not as easy to be 100% certain about that -- you can't just measure it with a ruler -- so claiming this bounty will be more difficult and will involve more verification (which might not even be possible) than the raw die-size bounty.  Please post here if you have any questions about what would be sufficient to claim this bounty; I don't want any hard feelings.

I have offered bounties like this in the past and have a history of paying promptly.

Both of these bounties become null and void if BFL releases the figures themselves.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Epicblood

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 10:35:09 PM

so you expect someone to get the die size from pics alone as the SC isn't out yet?

1AbYgR1FspHBB5EqyaxX6MrT6jmc7eMVEQ
Looking for Scrypt miner for ML605
Revolutionary MoneyMaking! Build your own cloud miner!
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 10:35:35 PM

so you expect someone to get the die size from pics alone as the SC isn't out yet?

Obviously I am not expecting this bounty to be claimed in the next few weeks.

Also, from past experience with bounties like this, the sort of information I'm looking for tends to bubble to the surface in ways I never expected.  So it can't hurt to post the bounty early.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 01:30:27 AM

With a "lifetime warranty", why would someone chop up a unit just to give you your information, rather than sending it back to BFL for a new one?

Also, if you're giving out 20BTC for a bounty, why not rather just spend the 15BTC for a Jalapeno directly from them?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2012, 12:56:30 AM

With a "lifetime warranty", why would someone chop up a unit just to give you your information,

Probably because they broke it.

Warranties don't cover abuse.  For example: got it wet, left it in an enclosed space without a fan where it overheated, wrong power supply, etc.  Yes, these things are rare, but I only need one person to damage one device out of BFL's entire customer base.  And I'm sure that poor soul will be glad to get their money back (and then some).

Also, as I mentioned earlier, there are always possibilities I couldn't imagine.  Somebody mailed ngzhang a broken BFL-Altera device out of the blue, which is how we got the IDCODE off of the device back when they were so expensive people were afraid to go near them with a soldering iron.  Could happen again.

Alternatively -- and less likely -- maybe somebody else is curious too and has the tools to do this without destroying the chip.  Those are QFN packages which means you can remove the lid and put it back on, though it's not easy.

Also, if you're giving out 20BTC for a bounty, why not rather just spend the 15BTC for a Jalapeno directly from them?

Probably the same reason why you aren't arbitraging the situation to pocket an easy 5 BTC.  Wink

Epicblood

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 05:10:41 AM

I could order a jalapeno, but I wont because I don't have the cash. Seeing as you are offering a bounty, you do, so why don't you?

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 05:56:34 AM

I could order a jalapeno, but I wont because I don't have the cash. Seeing as you are offering a bounty, you do, so why don't you?
He already answered that.

Epicblood

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 10:16:25 PM

He already answered that.
no, he said "probably for the same reason you aren't"  (paraphrasing)
The reason I am not is because I don't have the money, but here he is offering a bounty for more than the price of a jalapeno, therefore he has to have the money to buy one, unless he is intending to scam. Or am I missing something?

Zeek_W

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 11:46:30 PM

I think he is hinting on an insider leaking info to him

BFL

Activity: 217

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 12:29:44 AM

I will offer a 20BTC bounty to anybody who posts a measurement of the size of the die used in BFL's "SC" devices.  I'm assuming they all use the same chip.  It's really easy to get the die measurement from a broken device -- just grind off the plastic/ceramic top using a dremel and pull out a ruler.  I will be happy to escrow the bounty with a well-known forum member if you can present credible evidence that you're serious about this -- that way you can be sure you'll get paid before you totally wreck your already-broken device.

I will also offer a 20BTC bounty for knowledge of which process node BFL is using.  However, I caution in advance that it's not as easy to be 100% certain about that -- you can't just measure it with a ruler -- so claiming this bounty will be more difficult and will involve more verification (which might not even be possible) than the raw die-size bounty.  Please post here if you have any questions about what would be sufficient to claim this bounty; I don't want any hard feelings.

I have offered bounties like this in the past and have a history of paying promptly.

Both of these bounties become null and void if BFL releases the figures themselves.

Hi Elden, the node and method are detailed in the upcoming issue of bitcoin magazine.   (Issue #4).

Butterfly Labs  -  www.butterflylabs.com  -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
kwoody

Activity: 454

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 02:23:42 AM

Probably 90nm. Seems to be the most cost effective.
BFL

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 02:30:34 AM

Prepare for the improbable.  Smiley

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 02:34:47 AM

14nm? That'd be pretty improbable. Wink

BFL

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 02:35:55 AM

14nm? That'd be pretty improbable. Wink

Wouldn't that be nice...

mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 03:31:28 AM

Prepare for the improbable.  Smiley

I believe my prediction of 65nm will be shown to be right Smiley
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 03:36:47 AM

Hi Elden, the node and method are detailed in the upcoming issue of bitcoin magazine.   (Issue #4).

It'd be funny if BFL won this bounty.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 03:44:58 AM

LOL Josh mails him a Jalapeno.

kwoody

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 11:06:09 AM

sorry dude, i invested with your competitor(who is using 90nm apparently)... will be interested to see what you've got 'under the hood' either way.
BFL

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 11:44:18 AM

sorry dude, i invested with your competitor(who is using 90nm apparently)... will be interested to see what you've got 'under the hood' either way.

May the force be with you.

Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 12:47:35 PM

Maybe 45nm? That could be why Josh sees these as penultimate without room for much improvement.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
bitboyben

Activity: 330

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 06:18:11 PM

28nm! I want bounty for random guessing!

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 10:53:54 PM

I'll tell for 40 BTC!  Do I hear 50? Smiley

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Easy2Mine

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

einc.io

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 11:08:51 PM

I believe my prediction of 65nm will be shown to be right Smiley

Smart thinking.
I believe you are right about this, after reading BFL posts.
45 is still too expensive, even AMD is stuck at 32.
Only Intel is capable to do 22 at the moment

RHA

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 11:48:33 PM

Inaba, you cannot get paid for that, because...

It was very craftily formulated to not let you earn a single satoshi. Wink
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2012, 12:00:58 AM

If Inaba tells me the figures but not in public then I can collect.  I'll only charge 50%, how about it Inaba?
Zeek_W

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 12:47:12 AM

If Inaba tells me the figures but not in public then I can collect.  I'll only charge 50%, how about it Inaba?

I'll undercut at 45% Cheesy

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2012, 01:05:54 AM

Damn, my plans to collect the booty are foiled! 

45%... do I hear 40%?

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
poon-TANG

Activity: 150

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 01:15:13 AM

I'll undercut at 45% Cheesy

Nice .....LOL
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 01:33:44 AM

He is Inaba, not BFL_Josh.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Zeek_W

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 01:38:19 AM

45%... do I hear 40%?

melmo

Activity: 213

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 04:07:57 AM

Lol - Does this qualify as a "Booty call"?  Smiley

45%... do I hear 40%?
hardcore-fs

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 02:57:37 AM

Maybe 45nm? That could be why Josh sees these as penultimate without room for much improvement.

There is ALWAYS room for improvement, if not we would all still be living in caves eating rocks.

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
thebaron

Activity: 434

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 03:06:08 AM

0nm

I win.
ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 03:11:15 AM

LOL Josh mails him a Jalapeno.

lol. good one.

scrybe

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 03:36:44 AM

I don't see a die-size prediction. I'm going with 24mm^2

"...as simple as possible, but no simpler" -AE
BTC/TRC/FRC: 1ScrybeSNcjqgpPeYNgvdxANArqoC6i5u Ripple:rf9gutfmGB8CH39W2PCeRbLWMKRauYyVfx LTC:LadmiD6tXq7gFZvMibhFUZegUHKXgbu1Gb
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 03:56:07 AM

I don't see a die-size prediction. I'm going with 24mm^2

From the board pictures, the chip packages appear to my eyes to be 11x11mm.

Not that that says a whole lot about the die size.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Hello!

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 06:23:53 PM

40nm
no 37
maybe 5?

hi
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 01:25:33 AM

Is the answer 42?

Buy & Hold
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 04:09:11 AM

Is the answer 42?
The answer is ALWAYS 42.

quasarbtc

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 03:15:37 AM

0nm

I win.

Perhaps -1 nm.
scrybe

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 05:06:38 AM

Or sqrt(-1) if you think BFL is creating imaginary ASICS...

I'm sticking with 24mm^2 at .065 micron.

BTC/TRC/FRC: 1ScrybeSNcjqgpPeYNgvdxANArqoC6i5u Ripple:rf9gutfmGB8CH39W2PCeRbLWMKRauYyVfx LTC:LadmiD6tXq7gFZvMibhFUZegUHKXgbu1Gb
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 04:06:33 AM

A source tells me that the Bitcoin Magazine article alludes to a 45nm or smaller process.

Not very concrete.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 04:18:26 AM

I can't believe there hasn't been someone who's claimed this yet.
scrybe

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 04:28:45 AM

I can't believe there hasn't been someone who's claimed this yet.

It's simple, those that know have an NDA.
(I've seen several of these for contract positions that have penalties that can actually add up to several times the wages paid for the contract if the NDA is violated. So non-disclosure gets kept (and the consultant gets paid a premium for keeping his mouth shut.))

Until official release we are unlikely to get confirmation.

MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 04:32:51 AM

The information is apparently in Bitcoin Magazine, and subscribers have reported getting the magazine already. A quick readthrough and post is worth 40BTC.
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2012, 04:49:26 AM

Or they are honorable people who value the trust and respect gained from not breaching confidentiality for some minor prize even absent a formal contract.
scrybe

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 05:46:50 AM

Or they are honorable people who value the trust and respect gained from not breaching confidentiality for some minor prize even absent a formal contract.

Potentially true, but since they have investors I'm pretty sure they would insist on having any commitments like that spelled out contractually. NDA's in particular have a psychological impact that helps folks remember to keep their mouths shut, and the assurance that the other actors in the company (coworkers) have the same motivation, without having to know them personally and trust them.

Even in a small organization, it is a good idea to spell out the rights and duties and often a general code of conduct just to make sure that everyone really understands. It also protects you from sometimes down the line when you have a falling out with someone in the organization, or a partner dies and their heir is an idiot.

I'm not saying you are wrong at all, just that given the past (Sonny, Costa Rica, etc.) and everything I have seen (except Inaba sometimes) leads me to believe that they have a pretty good understanding of the power of contracts and are used to using them.

It's like "Trust but Verify" principle often used with teenagers, except when you have a written contract you don't have to rely on the troll-patrol to call you out, you go to court. Not everyone is honorable, or at least not all the time under every circumstance, so a little insurance is a good thing for the whole company.

mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2012, 09:23:16 PM

The information is apparently in Bitcoin Magazine, and subscribers have reported getting the magazine already. A quick readthrough and post is worth 40BTC.

So, who has received the magazine?
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 09:31:18 PM

Psychoticboy has said his arrived.
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Hello!

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 02:49:29 AM

Psychoticboy has said his arrived.
which issue? 4?
I might buy it, maybe. I dunno.

hi
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 03:06:34 AM

Sounds like BTCCurious got one, too.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=83530.msg1311316#msg1311316
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 03:27:44 AM

It's lame that we have to pay for information that BFL should tell us for free....

Or I guess I could be patient and just wait for it to come out. But, where's the fun in that?
bitboyben

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 10:27:06 PM

I got my copy yesterday! hahahahahahaha!
I'm seriously impressed with the bitcoin mag. Once my ASIC arrives I know where I'll be spending some BTC.

As for the die size I just wanna say good choice! Efficient but room to grow.

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 11:12:10 PM

I'm seriously impressed with the bitcoin mag. Once my ASIC arrives I know where I'll be spending some BTC.

So have you claimed the bounty?
scrybe

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 03:38:19 AM

I thought the bounty was nullified when the Magazine started hitting. See the last line:

I will offer a 20BTC bounty to anybody who posts a measurement of the size of the die used in BFL's "SC" devices.  I'm assuming they all use the same chip.  It's really easy to get the die measurement from a broken device -- just grind off the plastic/ceramic top using a dremel and pull out a ruler.  I will be happy to escrow the bounty with a well-known forum member if you can present credible evidence that you're serious about this -- that way you can be sure you'll get paid before you totally wreck your already-broken device.

I will also offer a 20BTC bounty for knowledge of which process node BFL is using.  However, I caution in advance that it's not as easy to be 100% certain about that -- you can't just measure it with a ruler -- so claiming this bounty will be more difficult and will involve more verification (which might not even be possible) than the raw die-size bounty.  Please post here if you have any questions about what would be sufficient to claim this bounty; I don't want any hard feelings.

BFL released the specs to Bitcoin Magazine who got to do an "Exclusive" on it. Now all the other Bitcoin Magazines can report on it too!

bitboyben

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 04:50:26 PM

Nope.
 The Magazine is really good and I would recommend buying it for more than getting a few more stats on BFL hardware. Good price point just about any small time miner like myself can afford it. It is a good way to help grow the btc economy.

scrybe

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 05:05:29 PM

Nope.
 The Magazine is really good and I would recommend buying it for more than getting a few more stats on BFL hardware. Good price point just about any small time miner like myself can afford it. It is a good way to help grow the btc economy.

We would appreciate it if you would share the basic info, having it locked up in a dead-tree publication is stupid. We have little enough happening that I'd rather not see some huge game being played with a few people hoarding information just to act like trolls.

If they sell the magazine electronically (even for fiat) I'm there, but I get too much dead-tree as it is.

FYI, there is no moratorium on the info re: Josh.

Well I was hoping they would have a digital story on their website too. No moratorium though feel free to publish it.

LiteBit
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 05:18:30 PM

Nope.

Do you understand the reason for this thread and the reasons we're hoping you posted in this thread?  Please enlighten us on the BFL article.  Specifically the SC die size and/or process node. 
Gracias.
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 08:55:07 PM

Do you understand the reason for this thread and the reasons we're hoping you posted in this thread?  Please enlighten us on the BFL article.  Specifically the SC die size and/or process node. 
Gracias.
A user on the BFL forums posted the entire article and it doesn't appear to contain any information about die size or process node. The only interesting thing it says is that BFL is considering a future, next generation ASIC offering that moves to a smaller 45nm process node, or possibly even smaller than that. So we know that the process node they're using is bigger than 45nm - which we could've guessed anyway - but that's it.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
kwoody

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 09:31:05 PM

I'm going to guess BFL is using 65nm, seems to be a sweet spot between chip price, performance, and power consumption. Not that I really care though, I went with a manufacturer that's more transparent throughout the whole process(bASIC/cablepair/Tom).
SgtSpike
Legendary

Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 09:32:29 PM

http://bitcoinmagazine.net/bfl-confirms-65nm-process-for-sc-lineup/
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 12:05:46 AM

No, because the bounty clearly states (and has stated since the very first day it was posted) that it is null and void if BFL releases the figures.  BFL has released the process node, which is 65nm, so that bounty is no longer valid.

The die size bounty is still open.

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 12:09:06 AM

No, because the bounty clearly states (and has stated since the very first day it was posted) that it is null and void if BFL releases the figures.  BFL has released the process node, which is 65nm, so that bounty is no longer valid.

The die size bounty is still open.
Didn't Josh say 3cm x 3cm, or was that external chip size, not die size?
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 12:10:45 AM

Link?

MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 12:14:14 AM

Link?

I thought the package size was 11mmx11mm.

30x30 is huge.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 12:21:43 AM

Yes, sorry, 11mm x 11mm.  My memory was thinking of something else.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=119351.msg1311322#msg1311322
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 12:25:34 AM

The die size is 7.5mm^2
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 12:26:05 AM

The die size is 7.5mm^2
Where's the source for that then?
Phos

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:52:21 AM

Tell you guys what.  I can confirm process node and die size if I can get a chip.
I can get the die size with XRD and process node with cross section SEM.
Anything thing else?  # of Metals, bonding wire method, packaging durability,
well profile, die thickness
LiteBit
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 01:33:55 PM

The die size is 7.5mm^2
Where's the source for that then?

Check the comments section.  BFL_Josh clears up the die size question. 
https://forums.butterflylabs.com/content.php/125-BFL-ASIC-Update

The die size is 7.5mm^2
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 02:17:36 AM

Check the comments section.  BFL_Josh clears up the die size question.  

The die size is 7.5mm^2

Hrm, that would be a square die less than 3mm on each side, which is pretty hard to wirebond and in a package that would be ridiculously oversized for it.  There are sometimes power and thermal reasons for using an absurdly large package, but putting a 7.5(mm^2) die in an 11mmx11mm package means you're going to have bonding wires on the order of 4mm long on all sides -- at that point you have some serious inductance in the bond wires.  Not saying it's impossible, but it certainly is unusual.  That's the very upper limit of what MOSIS allows.

Can we get BFL_Josh to confirm that he didn't mean (7.5mm)^2 aka 56.25(mm^2)?  He's transposed those two units before claiming the package was 11mm^2.

7.5(mm^2) isn't impossible, but 56.25(mm^2) is more plausible.

scrybe

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 02:21:02 AM

Check the comments section.  BFL_Josh clears up the die size question.  

The die size is 7.5mm^2

Hrm, that would be a square die less than 3mm on each side, which is pretty hard to wirebond and in a package that would be ridiculously oversized for it.  OTOH there are sometimes power and thermal reasons for using an absurdly large package.

Can we get BFL_Josh to confirm that he didn't mean (7.5mm)^2 aka 56.25(mm^2)?  He's transposed those two units before claiming the package was 11mm^2.

7.5(mm^2) isn't impossible, but 56.25(mm^2) is more plausible.

He confirmed it on the BFL thread referenced earlier. 56.25mm2. 7.5x7.5mm.

eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 02:26:14 AM

He confirmed it on the BFL thread referenced earlier. 56.25mm2. 7.5x7.5mm.

Thank you, that makes way more sense.  Somebody please teach that man the difference between mm and mm2.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: