Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:59:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] BOUNTY: BFL SC die size (20BTC) and process node (20BTC)  (Read 8589 times)
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 10:30:42 PM
Last edit: November 08, 2012, 02:52:58 AM by eldentyrell

Edit 7-Nov-2012: BFL_Josh has posted both figures, so this bounty is now closed.

I will offer a 20BTC bounty to anybody who posts a measurement of the size of the die used in BFL's "SC" devices.  I'm assuming they all use the same chip.  It's really easy to get the die measurement from a broken device -- just grind off the plastic/ceramic top using a dremel and pull out a ruler.  I will be happy to escrow the bounty with a well-known forum member if you can present credible evidence that you're serious about this -- that way you can be sure you'll get paid before you totally wreck your already-broken device.

I need this figure in order to compute the η-factor for their product.

I will also offer a 20BTC bounty for knowledge of which process node BFL is using.  However, I caution in advance that it's not as easy to be 100% certain about that -- you can't just measure it with a ruler -- so claiming this bounty will be more difficult and will involve more verification (which might not even be possible) than the raw die-size bounty.  Please post here if you have any questions about what would be sufficient to claim this bounty; I don't want any hard feelings.

I have offered bounties like this in the past and have a history of paying promptly.

Both of these bounties become null and void if BFL releases the figures themselves.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Epicblood

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 10:35:09 PM

so you expect someone to get the die size from pics alone as the SC isn't out yet?

1AbYgR1FspHBB5EqyaxX6MrT6jmc7eMVEQ
Looking for Scrypt miner for ML605
Revolutionary MoneyMaking! Build your own cloud miner!
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 10:35:35 PM

so you expect someone to get the die size from pics alone as the SC isn't out yet?

Obviously I am not expecting this bounty to be claimed in the next few weeks.

Also, from past experience with bounties like this, the sort of information I'm looking for tends to bubble to the surface in ways I never expected.  So it can't hurt to post the bounty early.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 01:30:27 AM

With a "lifetime warranty", why would someone chop up a unit just to give you your information, rather than sending it back to BFL for a new one?

Also, if you're giving out 20BTC for a bounty, why not rather just spend the 15BTC for a Jalapeno directly from them?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2012, 12:56:30 AM

With a "lifetime warranty", why would someone chop up a unit just to give you your information,

Probably because they broke it.

Warranties don't cover abuse.  For example: got it wet, left it in an enclosed space without a fan where it overheated, wrong power supply, etc.  Yes, these things are rare, but I only need one person to damage one device out of BFL's entire customer base.  And I'm sure that poor soul will be glad to get their money back (and then some).

Also, as I mentioned earlier, there are always possibilities I couldn't imagine.  Somebody mailed ngzhang a broken BFL-Altera device out of the blue, which is how we got the IDCODE off of the device back when they were so expensive people were afraid to go near them with a soldering iron.  Could happen again.

Alternatively -- and less likely -- maybe somebody else is curious too and has the tools to do this without destroying the chip.  Those are QFN packages which means you can remove the lid and put it back on, though it's not easy.

Also, if you're giving out 20BTC for a bounty, why not rather just spend the 15BTC for a Jalapeno directly from them?

Probably the same reason why you aren't arbitraging the situation to pocket an easy 5 BTC.  Wink

Epicblood

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 05:10:41 AM

I could order a jalapeno, but I wont because I don't have the cash. Seeing as you are offering a bounty, you do, so why don't you?

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 05:56:34 AM

I could order a jalapeno, but I wont because I don't have the cash. Seeing as you are offering a bounty, you do, so why don't you?
He already answered that.

Epicblood

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 10:16:25 PM

He already answered that.
no, he said "probably for the same reason you aren't"  (paraphrasing)
The reason I am not is because I don't have the money, but here he is offering a bounty for more than the price of a jalapeno, therefore he has to have the money to buy one, unless he is intending to scam. Or am I missing something?

Zeek_W

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 11:46:30 PM

I think he is hinting on an insider leaking info to him

BFL

Activity: 217

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 12:29:44 AM

I will offer a 20BTC bounty to anybody who posts a measurement of the size of the die used in BFL's "SC" devices.  I'm assuming they all use the same chip.  It's really easy to get the die measurement from a broken device -- just grind off the plastic/ceramic top using a dremel and pull out a ruler.  I will be happy to escrow the bounty with a well-known forum member if you can present credible evidence that you're serious about this -- that way you can be sure you'll get paid before you totally wreck your already-broken device.

I will also offer a 20BTC bounty for knowledge of which process node BFL is using.  However, I caution in advance that it's not as easy to be 100% certain about that -- you can't just measure it with a ruler -- so claiming this bounty will be more difficult and will involve more verification (which might not even be possible) than the raw die-size bounty.  Please post here if you have any questions about what would be sufficient to claim this bounty; I don't want any hard feelings.

I have offered bounties like this in the past and have a history of paying promptly.

Both of these bounties become null and void if BFL releases the figures themselves.

Hi Elden, the node and method are detailed in the upcoming issue of bitcoin magazine.   (Issue #4).

Butterfly Labs  -  www.butterflylabs.com  -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
kwoody

Activity: 454

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 02:23:42 AM

Probably 90nm. Seems to be the most cost effective.
BFL

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 02:30:34 AM

Prepare for the improbable.  Smiley

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 02:34:47 AM

14nm? That'd be pretty improbable. Wink

BFL

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 02:35:55 AM

14nm? That'd be pretty improbable. Wink

Wouldn't that be nice...

mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 03:31:28 AM

Prepare for the improbable.  Smiley

I believe my prediction of 65nm will be shown to be right Smiley
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 03:36:47 AM

Hi Elden, the node and method are detailed in the upcoming issue of bitcoin magazine.   (Issue #4).

It'd be funny if BFL won this bounty.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 03:44:58 AM

It'd be funny if BFL won this bounty.

LOL Josh mails him a Jalapeno.

kwoody

Activity: 454

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 11:06:09 AM

sorry dude, i invested with your competitor(who is using 90nm apparently)... will be interested to see what you've got 'under the hood' either way.
BFL

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 11:44:18 AM

sorry dude, i invested with your competitor(who is using 90nm apparently)... will be interested to see what you've got 'under the hood' either way.

May the force be with you.

Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 12:47:35 PM

Maybe 45nm? That could be why Josh sees these as penultimate without room for much improvement.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: