Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:40:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Meanwhile in Las Vegas.....  (Read 22851 times)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 05:32:55 PM

PayPal has couch. Do you have couch? I will only use your payment service if you offer couches.

Bitcoin no need couch. Bitcoin got coffee table. Coffee table NSFW, so no pic. PayPal envy coffee table. Show over. Coffee table going back home to Rassah. Mongo sad.

Seriously, great work guys. Hopefully there's a video or two coming soon to curb our enthusiasm.

~Bruno K~

bitcoin coffee table feature ASIC-warm coffee mug. coffee-mug pay for coffee. paypal envy no end.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Desolator

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 04:08:19 PM

Sweet..... Great job Smiley  Anyone attend this conference I don't see many people walking about....
it's easier for paypal to hit you in the head and steal your wallet if you're sitting down
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 03:19:06 PM
Last edit: October 29, 2012, 03:47:57 PM by ArticMine

Hey All,

BitInstant is sponsoring the 3 day Money2020 conference in Las Vegas this week.

I'm also doing a panel on Virtual Currency and Payment Monday evening.

Erik made sure we got placed next to Paypal  Tongue

L to R: Roger Ver, Charlie Shrem, Erik Voorhees

It is only a matter of time before PayPal accepts Bitcoin as a funding source. If they do not do this themselves somebody else will make this happen. Wait a moment is there not a BitInstant Bitcoin funded debit card in the works?

Very good show by the way.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 04:34:32 PM

What we really should be asking ourselves is: what are all the reasons PayPal would NOT want to offer BTC as a currency option (whether it's legal, technical, lack of experts, fear of reprisal, etc.), and work on attacking those, rather than attacking PayPal as the enemy.

I can think of one serious technical inhibition: how could PayPal hope to enable Bitcoin chargebacks without a protocol change? To make that viable, Paypal would need the ability to prevent the amount that represents an individual transaction from being spent from the merchants wallet, for as long as the chargeback period lasts. I can't picture the dev team accepting that sort of change.

Vires in numeris
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 05:11:36 PM

What we really should be asking ourselves is: what are all the reasons PayPal would NOT want to offer BTC as a currency option (whether it's legal, technical, lack of experts, fear of reprisal, etc.), and work on attacking those, rather than attacking PayPal as the enemy.

I can think of one serious technical inhibition: how could PayPal hope to enable Bitcoin chargebacks without a protocol change? To make that viable, Paypal would need the ability to prevent the amount that represents an individual transaction from being spent from the merchants wallet, for as long as the chargeback period lasts. I can't picture the dev team accepting that sort of change.

Easy the same as they do with CAD, USD etc.

1) Qualify the merchant's credit to cover the chargeback risk
2) Do not release the Bitcoins and hold the funds for up to 6 months if there is a problem.
3) Do not allow the use of the service as a currency exchange as is currently their policy.

Bitcoin has one huge advantage for PayPal as a funding method namely that PayPal itself is not subject to chargebacks as is currently the case with credit cards as a funding method. The latter is a huge risk for PayPal hence a lot of their polices that many find so objectionable. What PayPal should never allow is the deposit of funds via a credit or debit card and the subsequnt withdrawal of the same funds as Bitcoin since that would leave PayPal with a huge chargeback risk. This is precisely what PayPal's introduction to BItcoin has been so it is hardly surprising that PayPal would ban Bitcoin on their system.  The other way around as BitInstant is proposing with their Bitcoin funded debit card works just fine.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4442

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 10:09:17 PM

no need to change the protocol to allow refunds/chargebacks. the term chargebacks comes from the banking structure with its card theft/fraud insurance policies.

but bitcoin doesnt have such insurance policies so all that is needed is positive feedback to make the transaction complete. so just like ebay, paypal holds the funds until positive feedback is given. end of story.

the only issue i can see is if paypal became their own fiat to bitcoin exchanger. but if they just kept it simple by allowing payment in GOODS/products for paypal fiat or bitcoin. there would be no protocol changes required.

-sidethought-
if any protocol changes are needed to make crypto currency more regulated maybe use litecoin for the regulated stuff and bitcoin for the anonymous stuff.. thus keeping everyone happy, while also getting a crypto currency to mass market

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
deeplink

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 02:53:28 PM

if any protocol changes are needed to make crypto currency more regulated maybe use litecoin for the regulated stuff and bitcoin for the anonymous stuff.. thus keeping everyone happy, while also getting a crypto currency to mass market

If that is going to happen at all, I'd expect it to be the other way around.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 04:36:34 AM

If that is going to happen at all, I'd expect it to be the other way around.

read the other threads, as there are too many drug dealers loving the anonymity of bitcoin to ever let bitcoin become regulated.. EG the 50+ pages of trolls objecting to the BTC foundation, the pages on the economy subsection hating the identification AML/KYC regulations that MTGOX and bitinstant NEED to follow. its soo much easier to start with a clean slate such as litecoin. instead of unsuccessfully pushing drug dealers away from bitcoin.

let druggies continue to use bitcoin after all its their money, no one should tell them what to do with it. let them live in their blissful existence. and allow the rest of us more reputable people concentrate on getting A cryptocurrency to mass market to counteract the FIAT ties that bind our hands.

by overcoming merchants main objections to handling propoganda'd media press of bitcoins (ponzi, silkroad reputation). It would get a lot more merchants accepting crypto sooner. which would then ripple onto merchants taking the risk and adopting bitcoin too.

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2012, 07:21:41 PM

Heh, your obvious bias towards litecoin is spilling out of your nose  Grin

Let's analyze:

read the other threads, as there are too many drug dealers loving the anonymity of bitcoin to ever let bitcoin become regulated

Do you have stats for that claim?

EG the 50+ pages of trolls objecting to the BTC foundation

It's 50 pages of people discussing the foundation, only a dozen of the same people are against it. They are not trolls, they are real people who have real issues with the foundation. Some of those issues have already been addressed in foundation meetings.

the pages on the economy subsection hating the identification AML/KYC regulations that MTGOX and bitinstant NEED to follow. its soo much easier to start with a clean slate such as litecoin. instead of unsuccessfully pushing drug dealers away from bitcoin.

Dude, for any Litecoin business or Litecoin itself to survive it needs legal businesses to exist within its economy.

You are pushing for a double standard. If Bitcoin becomes more friendly to the legal world the druggies will stop using it. If what you want to do to Litecoin happens, the druggies WILL use it. The only reason Bitcoin is attractive to the underground markets is because its unregulated.

let druggies continue to use bitcoin after all its their money, no one should tell them what to do with it. let them live in their blissful existence. and allow the rest of us more reputable people concentrate on getting A cryptocurrency to mass market to counteract the FIAT ties that bind our hands.

by overcoming merchants main objections to handling propoganda'd media press of bitcoins (ponzi, silkroad reputation). It would get a lot more merchants accepting crypto sooner. which would then ripple onto merchants taking the risk and adopting bitcoin too.

That makes absolutely no sense. Litecoin will never reach mass market or adoption without either the druggies using it or it becoming better regulated and consumer protection.

You are advocating both sides in your post, it makes no sense.

-Charlie

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
evlew

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 07:31:33 PM

Hey All,

BitInstant is sponsoring the 3 day Money2020 conference in Las Vegas this week.

I'm also doing a panel on Virtual Currency and Payment Monday evening.

Erik made sure we got placed next to Paypal  Tongue

L to R: Roger Ver, Charlie Shrem, Erik Voorhees

Thanks for your guys' work and for making bitcoin more widely known about. 

Very exciting stuff.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 09:05:45 PM

Let's analyze:

read the other threads, as there are too many drug dealers loving the anonymity of bitcoin to ever let bitcoin become regulated

Do you have stats for that claim?

EG the 50+ pages of trolls objecting to the BTC foundation

It's 50 pages of people discussing the foundation, only a dozen of the same people are against it. They are not trolls, they are real people who have real issues with the foundation. Some of those issues have already been addressed in foundation meetings.

the pages on the economy subsection hating the identification AML/KYC regulations that MTGOX and bitinstant NEED to follow. its soo much easier to start with a clean slate such as litecoin. instead of unsuccessfully pushing drug dealers away from bitcoin.

Dude, for any Litecoin business or Litecoin itself to survive it needs legal businesses to exist within its economy.

You are pushing for a double standard. If Bitcoin becomes more friendly to the legal world the druggies will stop using it. If what you want to do to Litecoin happens, the druggies WILL use it. The only reason Bitcoin is attractive to the underground markets is because its unregulated.

That makes absolutely no sense. Litecoin will never reach mass market or adoption without either the druggies using it or it becoming better regulated and consumer protection.

You are advocating both sides in your post, it makes no sense.

-Charlie

+1 Charlie lays the smack down.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 09:34:17 PM

lol. I don't see how franky1s idea would work at all: why would anyone want to regulate litecoin (whatever that my look like) and then expect everyone to jump on it because of that? Bitcoin survived for as long as it has precisely because it slips through the fingers of people attempting to control it and - like it or not - a lot of people use it precisely because of that (illegal trade, capital flight, tax evasion,...)

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 11:13:38 PM
Last edit: November 01, 2012, 12:10:11 AM by franky1

due to my reply being off topic to the good work bitinstant done at las vegas ill just link in my reply. to avoid sidelining the main topic.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=121480.msg1309971#msg1309971

i advocate ANY crypto for many different reasons, and i salute bitinstant because of the ideologies as an alternative to FIAT payment systems.

Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 03:40:45 AM

due to my reply being off topic to the good work bitinstant done at las vegas ill just link in my reply. to avoid sidelining the main topic.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=121480.msg1309971#msg1309971

i advocate ANY crypto for many different reasons, and i salute bitinstant because of the ideologies as an alternative to FIAT payment systems.

Wow, you've just earned so much respect in my book.

You are a gentleman and a scholar, sir.

I honestly would have kept the convo going, my forum etiquette is not as good as yours.

Thanks

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 09:56:10 PM

A pretty large Bitcoin contingent will be at Money2020 in 2013.
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=289370.0

What a difference a year makes.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 02:16:21 AM

A pretty large Bitcoin contingent will be at Money2020 in 2013.
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=289370.0

What a difference a year makes.

What a difference TWO years makes...

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
green king

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 02:28:24 AM

Nice! Good to see Bitcoin presented so professionally. I love that the PayPal folks have no choice but to stare at Bitcoin the entire show.

hope bitcoin can be accepted by more people, paypal is just so so.
Piston Honda
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064

Juicin' crypto

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 08:31:10 PM

I was ALMOST able to attend this show, would be a flight but too bad I missed it.  I followed a bunch of the news on twitter as best I could, looks like there was TONS of info there.  Great to see!

$ADK ~ watch & learn...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: