Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:41:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [BETA]Bitfinex.com first Bitcoin P2P lending platform for leverage trading  (Read 137460 times)
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 02:26:32 AM

Besides Gox lag, another risk maybe the loss of access to Bitfinex itself, which somehow happened last night when I was desperately trying to return my loans. Losing access for a considerable period of time when the market is volatile may even result in many margin positions unable to be closed until it's too late, something potentially fatal to both the user and the site.

I understand such risk maybe impossible to completely eliminate, but want to discuss what can possibly be done to improve the status quo.

Hi Oakpacific,

Was Bitfinex unaccessible last night? Did you have an error message or was it just a timeoiut (loading forever)? This is a very serious issue, we have to make sure Bitfinex is always available.

About this issue, you have to know that the backend server (trading engine, margin check,...) is on another server than the front-end one. So even if the front-end site is somehow unresponsive, the backend server continue to work and close positions if they have to be closed.

Also, we are curently taking steps to prevent too much losses in case of a flash crash. I can't get too much details right now, but this will be an insurance for us that the traders never end up with a negative balance. More later.

best regards,
Raphael

I don't know how technically feasible or desirable this is (I am not an IT guy), but perhaps it is a good idea to have 2 redundant backend servers that communicate with eachother (so 1 is like a backup server that is being constantly updated).  Should the main server crash, the second one can take over the margin calls etc.

I think it would be better if Bitfinex just support closing margin positions with E-mails, that would be much more practical.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 02:40:03 AM

Besides Gox lag, another risk maybe the loss of access to Bitfinex itself, which somehow happened last night when I was desperately trying to return my loans. Losing access for a considerable period of time when the market is volatile may even result in many margin positions unable to be closed until it's too late, something potentially fatal to both the user and the site.

I understand such risk maybe impossible to completely eliminate, but want to discuss what can possibly be done to improve the status quo.

Hi Oakpacific,

Was Bitfinex unaccessible last night? Did you have an error message or was it just a timeoiut (loading forever)? This is a very serious issue, we have to make sure Bitfinex is always available.

About this issue, you have to know that the backend server (trading engine, margin check,...) is on another server than the front-end one. So even if the front-end site is somehow unresponsive, the backend server continue to work and close positions if they have to be closed.

Also, we are curently taking steps to prevent too much losses in case of a flash crash. I can't get too much details right now, but this will be an insurance for us that the traders never end up with a negative balance. More later.

best regards,
Raphael

I don't know how technically feasible or desirable this is (I am not an IT guy), but perhaps it is a good idea to have 2 redundant backend servers that communicate with eachother (so 1 is like a backup server that is being constantly updated).  Should the main server crash, the second one can take over the margin calls etc.

I think it would be better if Bitfinex just support closing margin positions with E-mails, that would be much more practical.
One does not exclude the other.  Closing a position with email would indeed be nice when there is a problem with the front-end.
However if price tanks while a trader isn't paying attention, automatic liquidation needs to be enforced.  Emails won't help in that case.
oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 03:43:08 AM

Hi Oakpacific,

best regards,
Raphael

I don't know how technically feasible or desirable this is (I am not an IT guy), but perhaps it is a good idea to have 2 redundant backend servers that communicate with eachother (so 1 is like a backup server that is being constantly updated).  Should the main server crash, the second one can take over the margin calls etc.

One does not exclude the other.  Closing a position with email would indeed be nice when there is a problem with the front-end.
However if price tanks while a trader isn't paying attention, automatic liquidation needs to be enforced.  Emails won't help in that case.

AH, I see, you talked about the backend glitch, in that case yeah, though it has to depend on how big Bitfinex will grow into.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
Sage

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 04:09:48 AM

Any chance you'll be adding Litecoin and Namecoin?
myself
Legendary

Activity: 938

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 04:36:54 AM

Any chance you'll be adding Litecoin and Namecoin?
there is no armory fork for this chains  Cry

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
superbit

Activity: 763

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 03:23:21 PM

Here appears to be a glitch:  

Whenever my offers auto re-new they don't appear in the offers list:

Unfilled credit demand/offers
#    Currency    Type    Amount    Rate (% per 365 days) *    Maximum lending time (days)    Placed    Auto-renew    Status    
24066    USD    Lend Limit    200.0    490.0%    90    about 1 hour ago    Yes    active    Cancel   Will notify
24065    USD    Lend Limit    272.99    470.0%    90    about 1 hour ago    Yes    active    Cancel   Will notify

And here are the offers:

USD Lending offers
   Maximum lending time (days)    Rate (% per 365 days) *    Amount    Offer count
      0    Variable Interest Rate (current: 263.7%)    2111.29    6
      2    270.0%    30.0    1
      2    310.0%    199.24    1
      2    350.0%    30.44    1
      2    370.0%    130.49    1
      2    400.0%    3076.1    3
      90    410.0%    3460.07    1
      30    460.0%    2094.8    2
      60    470.0%    627.33    2
      60    480.0%    249.98    1
      60    490.0%    54.07    1
      2    500.0%    2043.32    8

So at 490% it is only showing 54.07 available max time 60 days.  I am offering $200 at 90 days.  Same goes for my other loan.

I just want to bump this as the loans I am adding are not showing

https://bitfinex.com/?refcode=UInJLQ5KpA <-- leveraged trading of BTCUSD, LTCUSD and LTCBTC (long and short) - 10% discount on fees for the first 30 days with the refcode
My feedback thread: Forum thread
myself
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 03:27:12 PM

i think thats because of merging on the table to save scroll space

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
superbit

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:28:29 PM

i think thats because of merging on the table to save scroll space

Then it should update the max days to what the maxed merge is I would think.

https://bitfinex.com/?refcode=UInJLQ5KpA <-- leveraged trading of BTCUSD, LTCUSD and LTCBTC (long and short) - 10% discount on fees for the first 30 days with the refcode
Ichthyo

Activity: 602

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:33:22 PM

seems we have a temporary outage....
Or is anyone else able to work with Bitfinex right now?
superbit

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:38:10 PM

Down for me too.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 06:50:21 PM

Down for me too.
Down, down, down...

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
unclescrooge (OP)
aka Raphy

Activity: 868

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:53:11 PM

Hello,

We are working on this.

Best regards
Raphael
nrd525
Legendary

Activity: 1867
Merit: 1023

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:54:07 PM

Extremely slow to the point of being effectively down. I was able to get to the sign-in screen.

Digital Gold for Gamblers and True Believers
myself
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 07:21:52 PM

the back end is working only front end is not, we keep you updated

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 08:21:44 PM

Is this another DDoS?  Another CloudFlare SNAFU?

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
myself
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 08:52:42 PM

Sad

superbit

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 08:59:28 PM

Sad

That a yes?

Ichthyo

Activity: 602

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 09:05:49 PM

Sad

That a yes?

I'd say those people have certainly more important stuff to do than to respond in forum messages. Lets just be patient...
unclescrooge (OP)
aka Raphy

Activity: 868

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 09:15:26 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm really sorry to not have answered sooner, I asked "myself" to update you.

Anyway, we seem to have the situation under control now. We had a DDOS that made our front-end fall and prefered to stop it while we managed the situation. I have set the cloud flare settings to very high so you may not access bitfinex properly at the momen (you can be blocked for some minutes).

The backend got a hard time accessing Mtgox during this episode (as you know it was also down for some moments). Hence why some stop orders wasn't triggered properly.

We are still working on this. If you have some questions/remarks about your trades, please contact us by email but understand that we may take a few hours to answer as we are still stabilizing the situation.

Thanks for your patience
Raphael and the Bitfinex team
myself
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 10:30:19 PM

@superbit and others

I did not give a clear answer because it was a clear manipulation, the ddos on bfx then another ddos on mtgox and price going down for me it was a clear attempt to create a panic sell so i did avoided to give a clear answer so it did not create more panic

i dont know if this can be used against me and call me a liar .... i kinda sux at damage control .... sorry

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 »
  Print  

Jump to: