Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:17:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should you open source all code? Should Google opensourced PageRank?  (Read 423 times)
mczarnek (OP)

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 07:13:50 PM

In a decentralized project, is there ever a need to close source parts of the code?

Imagine if you had a decentralized project with a open sourced algorithm for Google's search result. How would you keep people from studying the algorithm to cheat it? There is a reason they keep it private. Is it an issue in the open source community if you close source only that part in a dll and feed info in, get info out and the rest of the system works with it?

I'm working on something sort of similar in idea.

BitSend ◢◤Clients | Source
www.bitsend.info
█▄
█████▄
████████▄
███████████▄
██████████████
███████████▀
████████▀
█████▀
█▀

Segwit | Core 0.14 | Masternodes
XEVAN | DK3 | Electrum soon
Bitcore - BTX/BTC -Project

BSD -USDT | Bittrex | C.Gather | S.Exchange
Cryptopia | NovaExchange | Livecoin
Litebit.eu | Faucet | Bitsend Airdrop

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2015, 07:36:20 PM

If it is part of a business, you should definitely close source some of it. You should be making the parts that would be considered "company secrets" like perhaps trading strategies in a piece of trading software.

For something like Google's search algorithm, since that is a a big part of their company and is also a company secret, they keep it closed source. It is an integral part of their business and by releasing it as open source does not make good business sense.

For just a project, I would say that you should make everything open source. Since projects are more like hobbies and not actually companies or for a business, then it would not make sense to make it closed source.

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 03:10:02 AM

Is this an X-Y problem? What are you really trying to do? Google's PageRank algorithm is only run on Google's own servers; end users never see the program in any form, closed or not. If you give your users a compiled binary, what's stopping anyone with a decompiler and other debugging tools from seeing how it works? If the program execution is under the user's control, closing the source won't actually keep any part of it secret.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
mczarnek (OP)

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 03:20:11 AM

Sort of could be XY problem..  let's put it this way, I have a method for basically 'mining' in a network, that method relies on something that I would prefer was closed source.  Is it an issue to close source a part of your mining algorithm?

I wouldn't but let's face, I could mine from my own account and this closed source part says make that account 2x as likely to mine or something.  I guess the question I'm trying to ask is: does a decentralized trustless algorithm have to be open source to remain trustless?

BitSend ◢◤Clients | Source
www.bitsend.info
█▄
█████▄
████████▄
███████████▄
██████████████
███████████▀
████████▀
█████▀
█▀

Segwit | Core 0.14 | Masternodes
XEVAN | DK3 | Electrum soon
Bitcore - BTX/BTC -Project

BSD -USDT | Bittrex | C.Gather | S.Exchange
Cryptopia | NovaExchange | Livecoin
Litebit.eu | Faucet | Bitsend Airdrop

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 05:35:08 AM

Yes. Not only will your users cry foul when (not if) they find out, but it's a security risk: in the system you describe, an attacker who figures out how the closed-source program works can double his effective mining power.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: