Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:40:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 96 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [AEON] Aeon Speculation  (Read 190012 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 04:49:32 PM
Last edit: January 15, 2016, 06:43:09 PM by TPTB_need_war

The only reason you can use the Bitcoin symbol and be understood is because it is universally acknowledged.  There was a time when a B with a line through it would look like a misprint.  

In time, the joined "ae" will also become second nature.  

But that means the prior logic of needing something that will work interim to getting your symbol into the Unicode table is violated.

Also BTC is more clearly not a misprint (even before we knew of Bitcoin). It creates curiosity and is a marketing lead. Significant difference. The symbol æ is abusing old english text and you will likely suffer for this unless you append 'on' to the tail. Well that is my 2 cents input.

Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
americanpegasus (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 04:51:40 PM

AEON (COIN LOGO) Version 9.1

Without circle.

I agree without a circle, but I am not totally set on "without any shape whatsoever around it".  I need to do some experimentation: how would a diamond around it look?  A horizontally stretched diamond?  A horizontally stretched hexagon?  An upside-down triangle? 

Anyway, its good to see Aeon still inspiring interest in this tumultuous times.  I'm hoping we can get an official new release that will work with a smaller memory footprint soon.  There's only five cryptocurrencies in this world that matter right now, as far as I can see: an Aeon is one of them.  

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 04:56:29 PM

how would a [vertical] diamond around it look?

That might look good but might be confused with gambling.

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 07:07:11 PM
Last edit: January 15, 2016, 07:21:27 PM by TPTB_need_war

Just did this for brainstorming...

I prefer the second one and it has a nearly equivalent in unicode Æ. For my eye, thesecond one above looks more like a currency symbol than the unicode approximation.

BitcoinForumator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 07:30:17 PM

Just did this for brainstorming...

I prefer the second one and it has a nearly equivalent in unicode Æ. For my eye, thesecond one above looks more like a currency symbol than the unicode approximation.

The first one looks like a fork, plate and knife.

The second one would look better if the mid sections of A and E would connect imo.
americanpegasus (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 07:58:52 PM

TPTB, you may be a technical, economic, and possibly mathematical genius... But you have possibly the worst marketing and design sense imaginable.  It's like the Wheatley of design.  

But hey, we all have our talents.  I, for example, frequently fail at simple arithmetic.  Your enthusiasm and passion are always valued, and I'm honored that of all the many crypto projects in existence, you seem to be fascinated with this one.  

Don't forget though:  

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 08:21:24 PM
Last edit: January 15, 2016, 08:45:24 PM by TPTB_need_war

TPTB, you may be a technical, economic, and possibly mathematical genius... But you have possibly the worst marketing and design sense imaginable.  It's like the Wheatley of design.

You should learn the difference between conceptual rough brainstorm sketch that I did in 35 seconds, and serious attempts to produce an aesthetic graphical artwork. Take a look at the graphical art at CoolPage.com or the following ad I designed for WordUp in the 1990s. I also designed the concepts for packaging and the FONTZ! packaging was intended to be gaudy so it would stand out on retail shelves (I would do it more subdued, less saturated colors in a professional market). Note the final drawings were done by a female professional graphic artist in consultation with me on the concept I wanted to convey and my specification on how to convey the idea. For example, the color blasting out of the monitor is my specification.

The conceptual ideas presented for those currency symbols are:

1. Thinking about ways to visualize an ion or electric movement in a currency symbol, if possible. The result was quite poor, thus demonstrating so far it is difficult to convey that concept aesthetically.

2. Altering the angle of descent on the right side glyph from the A on the junction between A and E to obtain an E that appears to be more like lines coming out of a normal A (as compared to Æ), since currency symbols normally have lines extending out from the single currency character (not two characters overlapping).

I certainly hope you never invest in anything I do, because you are very territorial and this impacts your ability to be objective, open-minded, and creative. Everything is you buy low and everyone else follows you, you get rich and you are in control. It is unlikely to work out that way. Rpietila found out the hard way (and I warned him many times) what happens as an investor when you try to control a group of investors. What normally happens is you will get your hands burned for being too sure of yourself.

Your ego gets in the way of your objectivity in investing. This is a serious problem for an investor. It is much better to remain flexible. That is why buying huge quantities of a highly illiquid pink sheet stock is not usually rational. The better way is to buy small morsels along the way as progress is made and reevaluating at every juncture.

I was just seeing if I could add anything about the A+E symbol concept. Doesn't mean I am taking a huge interest in Aeon. I have an interest in seeing the community succeed in general. It is unlikely I could take a huge interest in Aeon in its current incarnation as a Cryptonote block chain design. But I don't rule out what can morph in the future.  I rather enjoy the flexibility to be creative and come what may.

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 08:31:59 PM

The first one looks like a fork, plate and knife.

It is an i, O, and N. But the fact that the human is going to see other shapes and not focus on it being a word indicates the concept won't work. Realize I didn't spend any time analyzing the result. I just tried to make an integration of the letters with the concept of a electric charge traveling a path through the O. It obviously doesn't work well.

The second one would look better if the mid sections of A and E would connect imo.

Yeah I think so too. Noticed that after quickly producing it in less than a minute.

It was just roughs for brainstorming what works and what doesn't.

americanpegasus (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 12:27:31 AM

You're right TPTB, no ideas are bad ideas at this point and all creativity is welcome.  All due respect to the pioneering work you did while I was still in my diapers learning QBASIC.  But sometimes it's fun to poke you.  Couldn't help myself.   Tongue 

I definitely can be very territorial about the things I invest my time, money, and passion into.  This can be both a boon and a curse.  It is advantageous because enthusiasm is contagious, but can sometimes prevent me from being rational and neutral.

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 05:26:17 AM

Thanks americanpegasus. And here is an example of why it is not wise to go "all in" on complex new technology:

ArticMine is correct about the problem and incorrect to claim Monero (or Aeon or any other crypto currency) has a solution. Only my design has a solution. Details at the following link:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1319681.msg13569087#msg13569087

americanpegasus (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 05:36:42 PM

Thanks americanpegasus. And here is an example of why it is not wise to go "all in" on complex new technology:

Meh, I've gone 'all-in' three ways: Bitcoin, Monero, and Aeon.  The only thing I think has a future that I don't own any of is Ethereum. 

If your 'tangle-based' (or whatever it is) currency can explain to me in simple terms why it is vastly superior to any of the above then I'll consider taking all upcoming savings and funneling into it as well.  But so far, I haven't seen anything concrete besides promises. 

In any case, it is considered off-topic for this topic, so let's return to Aeon - unless the method you are championing can somehow be incorporated into this blockchain (which I suspect it can't).  But talk is cheap, and Aeon is real and here now. 

If there ever exists a more elegant and technologically superior blockchain to it, I will have a look, but fact is (disregarding anything that has been promised to come out in the future) nothing like that exists today.

cryptodromeda

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 09:41:40 AM

The prioritization of being able to type a Unicode symbol into a UTF-8 text document makes assumptions which might not hold true:

• User doesn't have æ key on his keyboard and can't figure out how to search for the symbol on Google and copy+paste it.
  • The document format doesn't support Unicode correctly.
  • The renderer doesn't render the specific Unicode character.
  • The document is HTML so it could support an image or other CSS means of superimposing decoration on a glyph.
  • The symbol æ is intellectually confusing in some contexts, e.g. when not adjacent to a number which is a price in the context.

I would compare the tradeoffs of that prioritization to the ideas for a more aesthetically and less intellectually confusing symbol.

Some good points here.

To play devil's advocate I'd also add that popular usage of æ would most likely transmute simply to ae out of sheer laziness. This then poses the question: Do we really want the dual-letter ae to be the defacto currency symbol...?

If not, then Æ may be a better choice. I would hazard a guess that Æ is less likely to decay to AE, than æ is to ae.

It's a kind of blindness that reason alone cannot cure.
BitcoinForumator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 09:48:31 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2016, 10:02:25 AM by BitcoinForumator

The prioritization of being able to type a Unicode symbol into a UTF-8 text document makes assumptions which might not hold true:

• User doesn't have æ key on his keyboard and can't figure out how to search for the symbol on Google and copy+paste it.
  • The document format doesn't support Unicode correctly.
  • The renderer doesn't render the specific Unicode character.
  • The document is HTML so it could support an image or other CSS means of superimposing decoration on a glyph.
  • The symbol æ is intellectually confusing in some contexts, e.g. when not adjacent to a number which is a price in the context.

I would compare the tradeoffs of that prioritization to the ideas for a more aesthetically and less intellectually confusing symbol.

Some good points here.

To play devil's advocate I'd also add that popular usage of æ would most likely transmute simply to ae out of sheer laziness. This then poses the question: Do we really want the dual-letter ae to be the currency symbol...?

If not, then Æ may be a better choice. I would hazard a guess that Æ is less likely to decay to AE, than æ is to ae.

To me it seems very important if you can scribble the currency symbol quickly when you draw it by hand and when you write it next to a number.

And æ is a bit complicated. Not too much but it might be a slight hassle. Either you draw an 8 first and then a hook. Or you draw an a and e together. What i'm getting at is - it's not as easy as drawing a € or a $ sign.

8 and a hook. 8 and a hook. 8 and a hook. 8 and a hook. 8 and a hook. Try it on a paper! It gets easier and easier...

Æ looks easier but still not easy enough?

You should be able to not think about it and just do it with a few strokes.
aeoncurrency

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 02:06:36 PM
Last edit: January 19, 2016, 02:17:16 PM by aeoncurrency

When I tell people about Aeon I am often asked about what makes it different from Monero. It might help to update the OP both here and in the announcement thread to highlight the information contained in this post from smooth:

I've also been monitoring the status of Monero development including their most excellent very-low-memory database implementation (which is a great fit for our plan to target mobile and low cost devices).

Curious use of language. Is smooth mainly an AEON guy these days?  Grin

I'm liking the way Aeon's coming together. Watching.

No just wrote it that way because this is an AEON thread. I'm a Monero guy too.

So just curious, I've just been starting to get interested in Monero recently and have been reading up on the threads and gathering some information about them.  So what does AEON do that Monero doesn't? How are these two related? Easiest place to get some would be where?

What AEON has that Monero doesn't have:

1. It has a few changes intended to facilitate thin client lightweight wallets, lower end computers, etc. The block time was changed to 4 minutes from 1 minute and the PoW was changed to better support a broad range of mainstream and mobile platforms that don't have multiples of 2 MB of cache. These changes make it possible to sync in approximately 1/10 the time as Monero.

2. There is a pruning branch (beta test release) which reduces storage requirements and also makes them grow much more slowly over time (especially if usage of the coin picks up).

3. There is a solution to cascading anonymity failures which involves viewing this as a statistical process where a limited fraction of low-mix transactions in the overall mix is not problematic. This needs a somewhat better writeup/white paper still.

4. Reference GUI is in development and will probably be released before Monero releases one

How they are related:

1. AEON was originally a fork of Monero

2. The original developer handed it over to me after deciding not to support the project any more

3. I'm a Moenro core team member as well as lead developer of AEON. I approach AEON as being more aggressive in experimentation and focused on developing technologies that facilitate mobile use. Monero is a much bigger project, with more resources and a (in my opinion) a justifiably more conservative and careful focus.

Right now this is my typical response:
https://twitter.com/aeoncurrency/status/689446842870796293
americanpegasus (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 04:17:28 PM

You should be able to not think about it and just do it with a few strokes.

You can literally do it with one stroke, without even lifting your pen???  æ  

Also, consider that perhaps we shouldn't be so worried about how easy it is to longhand write a digital currency symbol.  When was the last time you had to write something that wasn't filling out a form or signing your name?  I doodle for fun, but it's clear that all money and business has gone digital.  

I don't mind either way at this point, but I recognize the need to not bicker about it for 900 years.  So I think we should begin consolidating opinions at this point rather than bringing up new dissent.  Six months is enough time to debate something.  

On the flip side, as I was walking through Wal-Mart last night I watched both a thick-spectacled grandma and a poor Mexican immigrant both clumsily playing with touch screen smart phones.  So the mobile era has finally reached all demographics here in the states.  I realize though that Aeon will have to be that simple if it wants mass adoption.  It needs to be baked into their smart phone, dead super easy for them to use, and secure enough that they don't have to worry about losing it.  

I recognize that may come from services built on top of the original protocol, but it is a necessary long-range vision.

cryptodromeda

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 04:27:49 PM

I don't mind either way at this point, but I recognize the need to not bicker about it for 900 years.  So I think we should begin consolidating opinions at this point rather than bringing up new dissent.  Six months is enough time to debate something.  

Agreed. Time to push the button.

SmoothCurves

Activity: 379
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 07:55:32 PM

Where do you gents buy your Aeon?
cryptodromeda

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 08:07:25 PM

Bittrex.

languagehasmeaning

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 09:47:21 PM

If you also want the option to buy Aeon on Shapeshift you might want to contact them now to show support of the idea

I have decided to help both you and Boolberry because your communities have been supportive of Monero and have helped to advance CryptoNote innovation. If Shapeshift decides to add more CryptoNote coins I believe AEON and BBR should be next

https://twitter.com/XMRpromotions/status/689328498893144064

I will also send Shapeshift a follow up email
aerbax

Activity: 201

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2016, 10:28:59 PM

I know with Monero, ShapeShift uses Poloniex as a middleman.  I'm not sure if they have the same setup with Bittrex.  So, if we want ShapeShift to support AEON, we might have to get Poloniex first.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 96 »
  Print  

Jump to: