Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:08:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 96 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [AEON] Aeon Speculation  (Read 190013 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
americanpegasus (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 06:06:04 AM
Last edit: March 03, 2016, 04:46:40 PM by americanpegasus

Self-moderated thread for discussion of Aeon trading and price speculation.  

• Off topic posts will be removed. Off topic includes any extensive discussion of other coins, promoting other coins, or posting of promotional materials from other coins.
  • Non-substantive comments such as Aeon sucks, Aeon is a scam, Aeon is great, Aeon to the moon, etc. are considered off topic. Every post and reply should add to the discussion.
  • Hostile trolling (which includes but is not limited to use of "meme" pictures to attack or demean) especially by sock puppet accounts is not allowed.
  • When quoting posts, please remove any large charts or other images unless the quoted post is at least one page old. Please shrink (or remove) large images in replies in all cases.
  • When I am speaking as the moderator, and only then, I will write in red. Other messages using red text are not permitted.

People speculating on Aeon may be out of their mind, seeing as how they are worth half a cent each (as of posting), and it was essentially a blockchain-on-lifesupport until recently when smooth breathed new life into it as a testbed for innovative cryptonote ideas.  I have no connection with smooth, but don't think he should control both speculation topics (as well as being a core dev of both coins) so this will put some neutrality into the ecosystem.  

edit, 10 November 2015:  
All cryptocurrency should be considered extremely risky, and Aeon is a new and development stage blockchain based on Cryptonote.  As such, it should be considered insanely risky.  In the past month I have bought a significant amount of Aeon, but I consider that money "gone".  If you decide to buy any Aeon, you should too.  No statements in this topic or elsewhere myself or others should be construed as any sort of investment advice because Aeon should never be considered an 'investment'.  It is an experimental cryptocurrency project, regardless of how euphoric this topic may become at times.  Make your own decisions and never believe anything you read without proving it to yourself first.  

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
americanpegasus (OP)

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 06:06:19 AM

In case you're wondering, here's the recent Aeon movements on Bittrex, which is the only exchange that still deals with them:  

I don't own any right now, but seeing as how smooth has impressed me with his technical competence so far, I think it's worth it to own 10k to 100k.  The things are basically free right now anyway.  With some solid development and love, perhaps they will get back on other exchanges.

P.S. It would be nice if you buttholes don't run the price up before I buy some - kthx.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 06:18:25 AM

Link here added to ANN OP

Trading:
 - Speculation thread (moderated by americanpegasus)
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 06:24:15 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2015, 08:08:18 AM by smooth

If you are interested in acquiring this coin, there is nothing wrong with buying it (and given the chart above the market could certainly use the help) but also please consider mining it and even solo mining. The difficulty is low enough that a desktop can get a block or two a day pretty reliably, a laptop maybe half that.

The PoW is designed to work even on older or slower computers than Monero and the other cryptonotes (though AES-NI is still pretty much necessary, so anything pre-2010 is out, and some really low end later ones don't have it either), so if you have an old computer you aren't using, stick it in the corner and let it mine you some coins.

In addition to some market demand, this coin needs a better mining network since there is currently one guy with a office full of computers or a small botnet mining most of it on minergate. It's obviously not good for security to have that degree of concentration but hard to avoid without growing the hash rate.

rangedriver

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 05:31:52 PM

Aeon definitely the one to watch for 2016.
boolberry

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 03:04:25 AM

I speculate that as development progresses so will interest in this coin
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2015, 03:24:05 AM
Last edit: October 02, 2015, 05:41:45 AM by generalizethis

Would a Monero fork designed with mobile users in mind, be a fair assessment?

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 03:28:30 AM

Developed is a better word than designed, but yes I would agree with that description.
rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 05:34:56 AM

Where to go to read development plans - just the announcement thread? 

I might have a laptop I can throw at the hashpower ...
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 05:47:10 AM

Where to go to read development plans - just the announcement thread? 

I might have a laptop I can throw at the hashpower ...

There are some links in the announcement thread to the roadmap and other announcements.
languagehasmeaning

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 08:14:39 AM

Developed is a better word than designed, but yes I would agree with that description.

I know you have multiple ideas, but focusing on usability for mobile users is one of the things that interests me most about Aeon.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 08:22:33 AM

Of potential relevance to speculation:

Development update

I'm giving a candid update on the state of development, although it isn't necessarily great.

I've been busy with some non-crypto related work and that has prevented me from devoting the time necessary to finish up the GUI integration (the next item on the roadmap). I don't expect this to continue for much longer (maybe one or two weeks), and I'm very much looking forward to resuming active development on AEON. Meanwhile I'm still available to address any emergency issues that should arise, answer questions, etc. The project is not (at all) abandoned despite the lack of any new releases or updates over the past few weeks.

I've also been monitoring the status of Monero development including their most excellent very-low-memory database implementation (which is a great fit for our plan to target mobile and low cost devices), and that appears to be reaching a stable enough milestone to merge-rebase AEON based on that new code. Assuming no new problems arise there, that will happen immediately after the first GUI release.
I am the guy

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 09:37:09 AM

you guys never sleep.

americanpegasus (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 09:50:09 AM
Last edit: October 02, 2015, 02:58:24 PM by americanpegasus

For me, a non-coder, I spend endless waking hours (and have since 2013) on forums across the Internet reading and analyzing the various communities and personalities within.  

I've never been very good with details, so I don't worry about those: I swim in my strengths, taking in lots and lots of seemingly unrelated data and putting it together into a very large social & developmental worldview.  

I also think about what makes people tick, from the first innovators to the laggard adopters that are dragged kicking and screaming into the new generation.  

I haven't made much money on my time investment - maybe a little on the initial Dogecoin rise.  But I think that's going to change soon.  

Because the reward for all the thousands of hours of writing, reading, research and experimentation all tends to come together as exponentially as the price curves of the technology underlying the passion.  

Your reward for staying with the cryptocurrency revolution throughout the great winter we have experienced, and for swimming through the muck and shit of the altcoin universe?  Congratulations: you are among the first humans on Earth to know about Cryptonote coins and the next big thing.  

Now what you do with that knowledge is your own business but remember that one of the rules is not to just HODL but also BUILD.

languagehasmeaning

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 09:57:24 AM

you guys never sleep.

"Money never sleeps"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDCmNFD18nQ
cryptodromeda

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 12:18:04 PM

I've also been monitoring the status of Monero development including their most excellent very-low-memory database implementation (which is a great fit for our plan to target mobile and low cost devices).

Curious use of language. Is smooth mainly an AEON guy these days?  Grin

I'm liking the way Aeon's coming together. Watching.

It's a kind of blindness that reason alone cannot cure.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 12:51:34 PM

I've also been monitoring the status of Monero development including their most excellent very-low-memory database implementation (which is a great fit for our plan to target mobile and low cost devices).

No just wrote it that way because this is an AEON thread. I'm a Monero guy too.
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 07:38:19 PM

So just curious, I've just been starting to get interested in Monero recently and have been reading up on the threads and gathering some information about them.  So what does AEON do that Monero doesn't? How are these two related? Easiest place to get some would be where?

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 12:31:55 AM

So just curious, I've just been starting to get interested in Monero recently and have been reading up on the threads and gathering some information about them.  So what does AEON do that Monero doesn't? How are these two related? Easiest place to get some would be where?

What AEON has that Monero doesn't have:

1. It has a few changes intended to facilitate thin client lightweight wallets, lower end computers, etc. The block time was changed to 4 minutes from 1 minute and the PoW was changed to better support a broad range of mainstream and mobile platforms that don't have multiples of 2 MB of cache. These changes make it possible to sync in approximately 1/10 the time as Monero.

2. There is a pruning branch (beta test release) which reduces storage requirements and also makes them grow much more slowly over time (especially if usage of the coin picks up).

3. There is a solution to cascading anonymity failures which involves viewing this as a statistical process where a limited fraction of low-mix transactions in the overall mix is not problematic. This needs a somewhat better writeup/white paper still.

4. Reference GUI is in development and will probably be released before Monero releases one

How they are related:

1. AEON was originally a fork of Monero

2. The original developer handed it over to me after deciding not to support the project any more

3. I'm a Moenro core team member as well as lead developer of AEON. I approach AEON as being more aggressive in experimentation and focused on developing technologies that facilitate mobile use. Monero is a much bigger project, with more resources and a (in my opinion) a justifiably more conservative and careful focus.
owm123

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 12:58:35 AM

So Monero is rubbish now? Its strange to see monero devs or supporters jumping/launching a new coin. Its only shows luck of faith into monero, and it seems as xmr is already a lost cost, so it time to start new coin.

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 96 »
  Print  

Jump to: