Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:14:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hearn Banned from #Bitcoin-dev  (Read 5053 times)
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1353

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 08:18:02 PM

While I don't agree with their mindless BIPs of raising the blocksize to ridiculous amounts all of a sudden without understand the big consequences in teh severe lack of decentralization that would constitute, I do not condone banning. I haven't seen the entire log tho, so I don't know. Maybe he was straight trolling at some point? or was the admin just having a bad day? who knows.

Dude has been going around routinely making sly remarks and straight up disrespecting Wladimir's position and competence.

Everything he touches becomes a political flame fest and diverges focus of other developers from important technical work.

Well after reading some things about him, including the IRC logs, he goes on questioning Wladimir's competence on being a lead dev. It's funny how he continues to bring up leadership/decision matters in a middle of a conversation. It's fun to watch lol.

The way he does it as if Wladimir is somehow absent from the discussion when he can actually read everything Mike writes shows total lack of respect.

Agreed, or must I say that he wants lead dev control that's why they're forcing BIP 101 in our asses? Roll Eyes He brings a lot of talks in regards with leadership and decision-making.

no one's forcing anything.  You're free to run XT, Core, whatever you want.

Meh. Here we go again--the endless 'you're free to run XT, Core, etc.' line. Roll Eyes
HotSwap

Activity: 806
Merit: 1000

COINMIXER.NET

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 08:20:43 PM

of course he deserved it ..

High Volume, Secure Bitcoin Mixer: https://CoinMixer.net
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 08:21:04 PM

In other word, no one is satisfied that the consensus rules among Core devs only leads to no decision making.

his reply didn't make sense in context of what he was replying to. So you're not really helping.

Vires in numeris
poeEDgar

Activity: 299
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 08:21:55 PM

or Blockstream  Wink no-one's forcing you to use that either, are they jonald?

Correct. 

The difference is that there is a certain entrenchment of the existing consensus rules based on the history and usage of the core repository. 
As is evidenced by miners voting on scalability with their block signatures, the core consensus rules are no longer satisfactory for everyone.

what?

In other word, no one is satisfied that the consensus rules among Core devs only leads to no decision making.

I don't think that's an accurate representation. If the decision-making rules are insufficient, what do you propose -- exactly? Has anyone actually attempted to amend the BIP process and bring the question to the Core devs?

Quote from: Gavin Andresen
I woulda thunk you were old enough to be confident that technology DOES improve. In fits and starts, but over the long term it definitely gets better.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 08:29:03 PM

or Blockstream  Wink no-one's forcing you to use that either, are they jonald?

Correct.  

The difference is that there is a certain entrenchment of the existing consensus rules based on the history and usage of the core repository.  
As is evidenced by miners voting on scalability with their block signatures, the core consensus rules are no longer satisfactory for everyone.

what?

I don't think that's an accurate representation. If the decision-making rules are insufficient, what do you propose -- exactly? Has anyone actually attempted to amend the BIP process and bring the question to the Core devs?

I think the market should ultimately choose. Other implementations should be launched in the wild like XT did until one finally reaches consensus. In that sense the consensus rules among Core devs become irrelevant and Wladimir should just do its job and take decisions for what happens with Core.  

VeritasSapere

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 08:46:37 PM

As I've told you before, your responses are by and large insufficient. In most cases, you are merely saying "I disagree..." or "I think that..." or "I don't think that..." I cannot refute an opinion if you provide nothing to support it. Your discussion of orphaned blocks is completely absent of facts or proof; it is just tortured logic. When your arguments repeatedly boil down to mere opinion rather than logic based in facts, there is little point in arguing. My points still stand.
I have given arguments to support my position you are just not acknowledging my arguments and in the specific cases you have quoted I have already made the arguments which you have not refuted.

And seriously, I just explained how spam is already defined by the Core software and how it can be individually set. And still it's impossible to identify spam? This isn't about fees; it's about blockchain and UTXO bloat and maximizing efficiency/minimizing unnecessary throughput. You think it's more important to forego other methods of scaling so that we have to subsidize people who want to send cents, fractions of cents? Subsidize spam like Coinwallet? Not interested. You need to lose this one-track mindset.
I still do not think that you can always differentiate between spam and other low cost transactions on the blockchain, what you consider spam could also be very meaningful from a different persons perspective.

And political commentary, by definition, cannot address technical flaws, nor the issue of ignoring engineering standards. The premise that politics can override technical knowledge and expertise is absolutely unacceptable. If that is the case, then by definition, breaking the protocol is acceptable for political reasons. WTF is the point of supporting bitcoin, then, if its procotol is constantly at the whims of a political majority? Why do you think "consensus" was established as a principle in the first place?
Consensus in Bitcoin is an aspect of the democratic and anarchistic nature of Bitcoin, furthermore Bitcoin is at the whims of the economic majority whether you like it or not. Decentralization for instance is very much a political principle for political reasons, if in the future this principle is at stake then it would be justified to fork away regardless of whether you are in the minority or majority.

Your arguments about governance, again, fall on deaf ears. It's meaningless hot air. Show me alternative implementations with widespread support. No go? Build them yourself. I don't see anything here to talk about. Again, you say you think the BIP process is a problem? Then provide your primer on what the governance model is supposed to look like. Bring it to the devs, see if anyone supports anything you are saying. Because if the only major code contributors on your side are Gavin and Hearn, you've already lost. What I see from you is all complaints, no action.
I have already told you what the governance model is supposed to be, the economic majority decides by choosing between alternative implementations of Bitcoin. I also already told you that I am looking forward to seeing more alternatives implemented which I would most likely support instead of BIP101 especially if they represent a middle ground between these two extreme positions.

Bitcoin is a form of democracy
I have already responded to most of the [technical] issues you have raised there and you do not acknowledge my counter arguments because they are political in nature.
I do not think that BIP101 threatens network security, and the t[h]reat of a political civil war should not sufficient reason to not support a contentious fork.
I think that fifty one percent is enough to justify a fork
miners will not be effected by an increase in the block size
On a fundamental level, I completely disagree with the first four statements. (The last is a technical point which you have not sufficiently proven.) You believe bitcoin is a democracy, and that 51% (aka a 51% attack through argument) is sufficient to hard fork. I believe your position is at odds with the ideas of "valid blocks" and the "consensus mechanism" stated in the whitepaper.
Bitcoin has democratic aspects build in to the protocol level. The economic majority deciding is a form of democracy whether you like it or not.

You've basically conceded that a civil war with multiple surviving blockchains is not only acceptable -- but it almost seems as if you think it's an optimal solution. If you think bitcoin is worth fracturing along the lines of something so insignificant as block size, this is another fundamental impasse.
I think multiple blockchains with the same genesis block will be inevitable in the long term, which is different to saying that I think it is the optimal solution. I also do not think that this blocksize debate is worth fracturing Bitcoin over, unless enough people really believe strongly that we should have one megabyte for ever more or less, which I do not believe is the case. However if that is what the majority of the people want then who are we to stand in their way, we actually could not stand in their way, we can inspire reason by discussing like we are here and hope for the best. These aspects of Bitcoin you might find troubling but that is the reality of the Bitcoin protocol today.

And re XT being buggy? Yes, it is. That's what happens with little to no peer review. Irresponsible to release the code as such. One recent example:
I was refering to BIP101 not XT, which can be implemented by itself over Core or even a bigblocksonly version of XT.

More importantly, though, BIP101 breaks the consensus mechanism and introduces a scaling regime with completely unknown conditions.
BIP101 does not break the consensus mechanism, seventy five percent consensus is consistent with Bitcoin, since fifty one percent consensus would be as well. The conditions under increased adoption and scaling can not be known even under any of the BIP proposals there are far to many variables including people who play an important part in how Bitcoin functions and who are impossible to predict with absolute certainty. I still do not understand why you think I am not on your side, essentially as far as I understand it you do not want the blocks to become consistently full over a long period of time, then we are in agreement that is really the main thing that I want out of all of this while preserving decentralization and financial freedom.
VeritasSapere

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 08:51:36 PM

The difference is that there is a certain entrenchment of the existing consensus rules based on the history and usage of the core repository. As is evidenced by miners voting on scalability with their block signatures, the core consensus rules are no longer satisfactory for everyone.
what?
This is the point that I have been making as well, very well stated in bold. Smiley
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 09:07:40 PM

The difference is that there is a certain entrenchment of the existing consensus rules based on the history and usage of the core repository. As is evidenced by miners voting on scalability with their block signatures, the core consensus rules are no longer satisfactory for everyone.
what?
This is the point that I have been making as well, very well stated in bold. Smiley

Well why won't you fork off already?

As of right now it's pretty evident the consensus is with core and anything else is just you noobs trying to distort reality.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
poeEDgar

Activity: 299
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 09:10:32 PM

@VeritasSapere

This kindergarten shit is a complete waste of my time. Repackaging the same arguments you've repeatedly made, which are backed by nothing but opinion -- this is not worth responding to. I hate to pat myself on the back, but I've completely ripped everything you've said to shreds. You're still quoting everything I said and merely responding with variations of "no, I don't think so" repeatedly without evidence. Often it seems that you are happy to produce endless meaningless fluff just to be able to say that you responded.

And for someone that endlessly complains about the governance structure, all you can say when asked to define an optimal governance structure is "the economic majority decides by choosing between alternative implementations of Bitcoin?" Seriously? That is not an adequate response to the question of how to amend the BIP process and improve decision-making. Apply those standards to XT as well as Core -- how do you expect decisions to be made? What is the formal process? Stop complaining until you at least have a proposal. (Then see if anyone actually supports it, or if you are still just speaking to yourself.)

Repeating "economic majority" like a buzz word doesn't accomplish what you think it does. It's a cheap excuse to redefine the consensus mechanism. Nobody is falling for that.

BIP101 does not break the consensus mechanism, seventy five percent consensus is consistent with Bitcoin, since fifty one percent consensus would be as well.

Please reconcile this with bitcoin's historical hard forks. I'm waiting.

I am not on your side. I couldn't be further from it. You emphasize "increasing block size limit" above all else (including other methods of scaling) -- consensus, decentralization, security. You've stated yourself that achieving this on political grounds is more important than any technical considerations. I couldn't imagine a position that is less logical, or less concerned with retaining value in bitcoin. You would fracture bitcoin many times over to get your political way. That's disgusting.

It's so obvious in these threads who has real money on the line here, and who doesn't.

Quote from: Gavin Andresen
I woulda thunk you were old enough to be confident that technology DOES improve. In fits and starts, but over the long term it definitely gets better.
brg444

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 09:12:32 PM

fifty one percent consensus

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 09:15:14 PM

Im no 8mber let alone 20mber but im still not convinced over blockstream to be honest. So all transactions that don't go through the blockchain will go throught a private company that is basically paypal 2.0? what's the point then? isn't this centralization again? how does this work like, there will be servers of blockstream that process payments? I don't fully understand the mechanism.
brg444

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 09:20:02 PM

Im no 8mber let alone 20mber but im still not convinced over blockstream to be honest. So all transactions that don't go through the blockchain will go throught a private company that is basically paypal 2.0? what's the point then? isn't this centralization again? how does this work like, there will be servers of blockstream that process payments? I don't fully understand the mechanism.

You don't fully AT ALL understand "the mechanism" yet you feel warranted to share you opinion and judge the character of someone based on this ignorance?

It seems this place is filled to the brim with fatherless individuals. Were you not educated to shut up when you don't know wtf you're talking about? Do you have no manners, no moral?

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 09:24:43 PM

@VeritasSapere

This kindergarten shit is a complete waste of my time. Repackaging the same arguments you've repeatedly made, which are backed by nothing but opinion -- this is not worth responding to. I hate to pat myself on the back, but I've completely ripped everything you've said to shreds. You're still quoting everything I said and merely responding with variations of "no, I don't think so" repeatedly without evidence. Often it seems that you are happy to produce endless meaningless fluff just to be able to say that you responded.

And for someone that endlessly complains about the governance structure, all you can say when asked to define an optimal governance structure is "the economic majority decides by choosing between alternative implementations of Bitcoin?" Seriously? That is not an adequate response to the question of how to amend the BIP process and improve decision-making. Apply those standards to XT as well as Core -- how do you expect decisions to be made? What is the formal process? Stop complaining until you at least have a proposal. (Then see if anyone actually supports it, or if you are still just speaking to yourself.)

Repeating "economic majority" like a buzz word doesn't accomplish what you think it does. It's a cheap excuse to redefine the consensus mechanism. Nobody is falling for that.

BIP101 does not break the consensus mechanism, seventy five percent consensus is consistent with Bitcoin, since fifty one percent consensus would be as well.

Please reconcile this with bitcoin's historical hard forks. I'm waiting.

I am not on your side. I couldn't be further from it. You emphasize "increasing block size limit" above all else (including other methods of scaling) -- consensus, decentralization, security. You've stated yourself that achieving this on political grounds is more important than any technical considerations. I couldn't imagine a position that is less logical, or less concerned with retaining value in bitcoin. You would fracture bitcoin many times over to get your political way. That's disgusting.

It's so obvious in these threads who has real money on the line here, and who doesn't.

I've read alot of your exchanges, and you've done incredibly well to maintain your composure in the face of such relentless and willful illogic.

I hope you can now agree that this behaviour cannot be anything but entirely conceited. Dishonest participants, who will do or say anything, no matter the internal contradictions, to force their position on the issue. All while complaining that they're being censored and oppressed.

What's next, Hearn and Andresen complaining to some authority figure or other about how their great idea is being oppressed by the people who are not clever enough to choose it freely?

Vires in numeris
VeritasSapere

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 09:25:38 PM
Last edit: October 02, 2015, 10:02:35 PM by VeritasSapere

I completely disagree with what you are saying here, it seems like you do not understand how consensus should work. You also keep repeating that I hold positions that I do not even hold, even after I have repeated that this is not the case. Just because you do not acknowledge the arguments that I have made it does not mean that my arguments do not hold weight. You should acknowledge my arguments instead and disprove them, this is not what you have done. I obviously do think that I have succeeded in rebutting your criticisms of my position. You are also being overly polarizing when we could all be much more united on this issue.
brg444

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 09:26:58 PM

I completely disagree with what you are saying here, it seems like you do not understand how consensus should work.

fifty one percent consensus

Roll Eyes

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 09:29:58 PM

You are also being overly polarizing when we could all be much more united on this issue.

So we should just accept everything you propose, for reasons that you cannot adequately frame?

You've got only one answer to every and any question, and yet you're the one complaining about others taking a fractious position? The hypocrisy is out of this world.

Vires in numeris
VeritasSapere

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 09:35:14 PM

You are also being overly polarizing when we could all be much more united on this issue.
So we should just accept everything you propose, for reasons that you cannot adequately frame?

You've got only one answer to every and any question, and yet you're the one complaining about others taking a fractious position? The hypocrisy is out of this world.
That is not what I am saying at all, you are again misrepresenting my views.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 09:43:00 PM

You've argued your points well.  I suggest you no longer waste your time and energy on
people that are more interested in arguing than anything else.  Let them beat their
anti-XT, anti-Gavin, anti-Hearn, anti-blockincrease drums as loud and as long as
they want. 

Everything's been said.

Miners are signing blocks. 

Companies are signing statements.

Bigger blocks will come, no matter how big of a tantrum a few forum yakkers throw.

brg444

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 09:45:51 PM

You've argued your points well.  I suggest you no longer waste your time and energy on
people that are more interested in arguing than anything else.  Let them beat their
anti-XT, anti-Gavin, anti-Hearn, anti-blockincrease drums as loud and as long as
they want. 

Everything's been said.

Miners are signing blocks. 

Companies are signing statements.

And nodes are signing "fuck you" letters

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 09:51:03 PM

That's literally addressing what you said head-on. How strange, though, that contorting the views of others is the tactic you were caught using so frequently earlier on in this debate.

You're trying to irritate me by accusing me of things you did but I demonstrably did not (it's all written a short way up the page after all).

I get it. You, jonald, knight22 and the rest of the BIP101 bible thumpers will do and say anything, with no shame or compunction, in order to impress an alternate reality on Bitcoin. You're sociopaths.

Vires in numeris
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: