Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:16:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Donations to setup a design studio/shop - 3D printer, laser cutter, etc  (Read 1105 times)
deathsythe (OP)

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 03:35:43 AM

Not exactly a "loan" per se, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to put this.

Just a little background.

5.5 years academic engineering background BE/ME in Mechanical Engineering.

~10 years work experience in both design and manufacturing environments.

Extremely proficient in 3D CAD (was an Adjunct Professor in DS SolidWorks and Autodesk Inventor related courses)

That in mind - I am looking to convert my workroom into a small shop where I can do little engineering projects, build small items/devices, and ultimately give it back to the community.

I've used all sorts of 3D printers in the past, from Stratasys' big FORTUS FDM machines, to a simple little Makerbot, and have always been intrigued by the idea of additive manufacturing.

I have a bit of a nerd boner for the RepRap project - and I may or may not have a published paper or two on the matter when I was in grad school. So naturally I am looking there first before examining any of the commercial printers.

http://printrbot.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/IMG_1089.jpg

I have had my heart set on a PrintrBot since its original kickstarter. Alas I did not have the funding available at the time to contribute enough to purchase one for myself but now that I am involved in Bit Coin, perhaps the community can assist me in this. (The other alternative is an Ultimakr, but that is far too expensive for this sort of project methinks)

Ideally I would like to be able to get myself a PrintrBot, and a PrintrBot LC. I already have a few dremels, a big bridgeport drill press, your basic rotary saws and various other tools.

I've spent the entire summer cleaning out my basement in preparation to turn it into a shop. I will then use the power of the internet, and the beauty of bitcoins to design and print items for anyone, anywhere, at any time.

Now this is where you guys come in.

I want to operate this in the same manner in which Kickerstarter works (mods - if this is an issue, please move to the appropriate location or close at your discretion)

I am going to need about 60 BTC to get this project off the ground.

Depending on what you can contribute - I will give you various rewards in return.

All backers will have their name (handle or username I guess if you want to remain anonymous) posted on the wall of my shop for any/all to see!

Pledge .25 BTC and you will receive a personalized thank you email from me.

Pledge .50 BTC and you will receive a written personalized thank you from me scanned and emailed.

Pledge .75 BTC and you will receive a written personalized thank you from me via good old fashioned letter/post (Anywhere in the world) and a copper wheat penney

Pledge 1 BTC and you will receive a personalized 3D printed/lasercut keychain with your username (or anything else you desire within a reasonable amount of characters) along with a personalized letter from me (anywhere in the world)

Pledge 1.50 BTC and you will receive a pre-65 US silver coin along with a personalized letter from me (anywhere in the world)

Pledge 5 BTC or more and you will receive a custom 3D printed geeky figurine of your choice (Dalek, Yoda, d20, Tux penguin, etc...)

Pledge 10 BTC or more and you will receive a custom 3D printed chess set designed by yours truly.

Please accompany all funds with a PM here noting where they came from and what you would like in return. Donations can be sent here: 1cmLgJNLQiHfkK4A657eU2dvexATjS9yu

If you wish to just make an anonymous donation (and Cthulhu bless you for doing so) you can send it here: 1Apy1m7CYhje15SQNQ798n6nentEbUWh4s

I don't know how charitable this community is compared to other's around the internet, but I figured this would be the best place to ask.

Thanks in advance.

"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3015

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2012, 02:47:08 PM

Solicit your family and friends for the money to pursue your hobby before you start begging anonymous strangers for money.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
BlackHeartFund

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 06:59:40 PM

Solicit your family and friends for the money to pursue your hobby before you start begging anonymous strangers for money.

Not everyone has family with money to lend, Mr. Romney!

This forum would be tiny if it weren't for people begging for BTC! lmao

deathsythe (OP)

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 01:09:35 AM

It isn't exactly a hobby. I am just getting funding to get off the ground so that I can start offering my services to give back to the community.

3D Printing and BTC go hand in hand.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: