Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:29:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Contract Work] C++/C# Bitcoin developers wanted  (Read 1197 times)
Lotus (OP)

Activity: 107
Merit: 7

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2012, 06:55:28 AM

I am looking for a developer experienced with bitcoin development to develop/port units/modules of bitcoin functionality to C#. This is an ambitious project (whose details won't be disclosed yet) that will hopefully push Bitcoin more into mainstream, but each module will be developed independently and paid for separately in BTC and/or USD.

We will begin with basic functionality that's already available everywhere like generating address pairs, sending requests and queries to the network, and then take it up to more customized tasks. Note that this is a commercial project, so we'll not be able to just copy open-source code and use it as-is. Ideally, I would prefer to have one single developer do all the work for consistency, but if it proves too much work we can have a team of up to 3 developers.

To qualify you need to be very familiar with bitcoin, with some relevant software/web site you wrote in any language that shows it. You also need to be able to write C# code of decent quality.

If you are interested, just post here and I (or someone from my team) will PM you to discuss the details.

Feel free to post any questions/concerns/suggestion and I'll respond here if it is general enough, otherwise I'll send a PM.

Forgotten Crypt - Zero-Trust trading. Take the guesswork out of trading.
http://www.ForgottenCrypt.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 07:40:40 AM

You can actually use open source software commercially, depending on the licence.

Lotus (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2012, 07:43:17 AM

You do know you can use open source code, if you read the licensing agreement and give credit where credit is due. Hence why it is open source, for people to use and build upon. You also make reference to a team, if someone on your team is lawyer and didn't point that out then he should fired LOL Also did you know mysql is open source you better not use it. LMAO Thank you for the laughs, with your commercial fail project LMAO

Unfortunately it's not as simple as you put it. You are mistaken. While there are numerous open-source licenses, they are typically restrictive in how you can "freely" use them. Most of them, including GPL, would require you to release your derivative work that's based on the open-source code or at least make it available upon request. Others may have different sets of restrictions. There are of course situations where it "can" be used, but that's not the norm as you are suggestion.

My team does not have a lawyer, as I do not represent a company, but I'm well-vested in the software industry to know what to avoid.

You are also confused about "using" open-source software like MySQL and "incorporating" the open-source code into your own. They are distinctly different.

Also, whether the project fails or succeeds, should have no effect on the developers as this is strictly contract work for deliverable that is NOT based on profits.

Insu Dra

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 07:48:31 AM

If a project under gpl/lgpl with a separate commercial license is acceptable let me know and I might be able to steer my current efforts to wards your needs.

I'm working on a similar project (bitcoin to C#) that follows the dual license structure. See Xamarin to get a better idea of how dual license works. http://xamarin.com/licensing

"drugs, guns, and gambling for anyone and everyone!"
Lotus (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2012, 07:55:48 AM

If a project under gpl/lgpl with a separate commercial license is acceptable let me know and I might be able to steer my current efforts to wards your needs.

I'm working on a similar project (bitcoin to C#) that follows the dual license structure. See Xamarin to get a better idea of how dual license works. http://xamarin.com/licensing

Sent you a PM.

Lotus (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 01:17:42 AM
Last edit: November 01, 2021, 06:13:47 AM by Lotus

Thanks for taking the time to post these thoughtful comments, they help clear up what kind of person we're dealing with. As entertaining as this have been, let's put this point to death for the sake of other serious users that may get misinformed reading your posts. Here is what GNU says about their own GPL:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLCommercially

They also explicitly state that: "You cannot incorporate GPL-covered software in a proprietary system. The goal of the GPL is to grant everyone the freedom to copy, redistribute, understand, and modify a program"

* Recent Note: This response was for a post that had since been deleted. I just came across this ancient post and wanted to point out that this was directed at gweedo not insu. *

Insu Dra

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 02:02:56 PM

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLCommercially
They also explicitly state that: "You cannot incorporate GPL-covered software in a proprietary system."

That same link states the following a bit further down: "The GPL says that any extended version of the program must be released under the GPL if it is released at all".

So you can adjust or incorporate GPL software for use inside a commercial entity or for personal use. You are even allowed to write applications that include GPL software for external services as long as these external services do not represent a copy or a license. (the later being legally debatable in allot of cases)

That is GNU, you do know a lot of people use a modified version of that. Including MYSQL which allows commercial use, but clearly you don't understand that. You never said GNU GPL you just said GPL

MySql is actually released under both GNU GPL and FLOSS GPL, however nether of them allow you to derive commercial work of MySQL. Unless you write your own connectors (and some other tools) you cant use MySQL in a commercial application. However if that does not suit your needs you can buy one of the commercial friendly licenses they offer.

The term commercial application is the most confusing part for most people. Under GPL this means you distribute copies and/or licenses to use the application (even if these are distributed for free).

Also what kind of person am I? A person that knows a lot of about this stuff, that has developed real world commercial applications.

Is that who you are ? Here I was thinking you where 'a angry old man' or 'a little know it all spoiled brad' make you pick.

"drugs, guns, and gambling for anyone and everyone!"
Lotus (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2012, 01:02:21 AM

So you can adjust or incorporate GPL software for use inside a commercial entity or for personal use. You are even allowed to write applications that include GPL software for external services as long as these external services do not represent a copy or a license. (the later being legally debatable in allot of cases)
In some cases using open-source libraries from propriety is possible without having to share the source, as long as they remain well separated. But if the library is linked statically this is typically not possible. Anyway, let's discuss licensing issues offline as this it will require some more context.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: