Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:47:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Self-Driving Cars Could Save 300,000 Lives Per Decade in America  (Read 1222 times)
silverleafy (OP)

Activity: 538
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 07:57:50 PM

I found something quite cool to share. In the next decade, you might have the chance of buying a self-driving car. And those self-driving cars will be saving hundreds of thousands of lives in the US alone. That's according to new research that shows that self-driving cars could save 29,447 lives a year.

You can read more about it in this article: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/09/self-driving-cars-could-save-300000-lives-per-decade-in-america/407956/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ThePrinceofTea

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 07:59:07 PM

I prefer donkey.
ThePrinceofTea

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 09:02:28 PM

it was a joke of my donkey and I Cheesy, we are both very happy to know that a Caravan version will be made, as such we both will be able to travel great distance in safety, speed, harmony and having fun inside the "craft" Cheesy. forward !!!

and the last argument of the prohibitionist will crumble before their little restrictive, uncreative, noninnovative, conventional framed minds, and from their the gateway to drugs will be open Cheesy.

how to stop technology :p

it's gonna be HUUUUUUUUUGGGGGE :

http://www.technologyblogged.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/vin-diesel-caravan.jpg
Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2015, 01:42:10 AM

It IS going to be huge. Not only will it make the road safer but it'll give people time and productivity - think about all the time spent in traffic that will now be available for work or other things. Think about the people that are immobile (handicapped, elderly) that can now travel safely in their self driving car.

It's pretty amazing  and  it's great to see traditional car companies follow Google's lead in creating this technology.

Here's a video from Google: https://www.google.com/selfdrivingcar/

BCwinning

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 01:43:49 AM

I prefer cars with little to no sensors/computers in them.
So no thank you to the driverless car that will allow the police to disable at will.

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
Coinonomous

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 01:45:20 AM

So no thank you to the driverless car that will allow the police to disable at will.

Same here. Every other month i have tire pressure sensors or some stupid sensors to replace. I'd rather have my old 1987 honda accord, that thing would probably still be running if I never sold it! Sad

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,     

,p████████████████████N,   

d█████████████████████████b   

d██████████████████████████████æ 

,████²█████████████████████████████,

,█████ ╙████████████████████╨ █████y

██████  `████████████████`  ██████

║██████   Ñ███████████`   ███████

███████    ╩██████Ñ    ███████

███████  ▐▄  ²██╩  a▌ ███████

╢██████  ▐▓█▄     ▄█▓▌  ███████

██████  ▐▓▓▓▓▌▄█▓▓▓▌ ██████─

▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌     

▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌     

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─ 

²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩   

▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀   

²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`     

²²²         

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3015

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2015, 01:45:40 AM

Ah, so you are a fan of the high speed chase, which kills innocent people?

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
BCwinning

Activity: 770

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 01:48:45 AM

yea because they happen so often and kill so many people.
You one of those, "we need to do it for the children" type huh
coddle the darwin candidates.

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 05:07:12 AM

I am not sure whether these Self-Driving Cars will reduce the risk for the passengers or not. What happens if someone hacks in to the control panel, and makes the car jump off a cliff? Unless these concerns are addressed, I will remain opposed to this new innovation. Also, I don't want to drive a car which can be stopped at will by the police authorities.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 01:22:36 PM

Are you a fan of police disabling every car in a 5 mile radius, because of one bad guy they need to root out?
ThePrinceofTea

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 01:27:02 PM

I am not sure whether these Self-Driving Cars will reduce the risk for the passengers or not. What happens if someone hacks in to the control panel, and makes the car jump off a cliff? Unless these concerns are addressed, I will remain opposed to this new innovation. Also, I don't want to drive a car which can be stopped at will by the police authorities.

mod the software with open source, install a firewall (russian made), enjoy your vodka until reaching your destination.

why should a self driving car be connected to anything? all roads and paths take a few gigs... no need for outside connection...
silverleafy (OP)

Activity: 538

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 03:54:50 PM

Some cars are already hackable... hack-able? Anyways, there have already been tests in which a car was taken control of in the highway, speeding up and slowing down as the driver input was completely ignored. Best part of it is that it left no trace. So if you're driving a recent model of car, you might already have a car vulnerable to hackers. There's always inherent risk in new technology, it's up to each of us to decide whether or not to take that first step early, or afterwards, when everything has been ironed out.

Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 05:57:41 PM

Locomotive Acts

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Locomotive Acts (or Red Flag Acts) were a series of Acts of Parliament in the United Kingdom regulating the use of mechanically propelled vehicles on British public highways during the latter part of the 19th century.

The first three, The Locomotives on Highways Act 1861, The Locomotive Act 1865 and the Highways and Locomotives (Amendment) Act 1878 contained restrictive measures on the manning and speed of operation of road vehicles; they also formalised many important road concepts such as vehicle registration, registration plates, speed limits, maximum vehicle weight over structures such as bridges, and the organisation of highway authorities.

The most draconic restrictions and speed limits were imposed by the 1865 act (the "Red Flag Act") which required all road locomotives, which included automobiles, to travel at a maximum of 4 mph (6.4 km/h) in the country and 2 mph (3.2 km/h) in the city - as well as requiring a man carrying a red flag to walk in front of road vehicles hauling multiple wagons.

The 1896 Act removed some restrictions of the 1865 act and raised the speed to 14 mph (23 km/h).

The "Locomotives on Highways Act 1896" provided legislation that allowed the automotive industry in the United Kingdom to develop soon after the development of the first practical automobile (see History of the automobile). The last "locomotive act" was the "Locomotives Act 1898".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locomotive_Acts

Atomictie

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 06:00:08 PM

The idea of having self-driving cars scares me to the death
Preen

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 07:50:29 PM

Self driving cars can improve efficiency greatly. Save alot of money as well as lives.
CoinBateman

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 07:55:30 PM

Tesla are on the verge of making this a full reality. I believe Google has had self driving cars on their campus for quite some time.

@CoinBateman | Killer Crypto Instinct
ThePrinceofTea

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 08:01:53 PM

Tesla are on the verge of making this a full reality. I believe Google has had self driving cars on their campus for quite some time.

the NRA are kitty compared to what's coming to the opponents of this EVOLUTION. opposing autodrive(tm (C) (R)) would be like climbing back from the biggest black hole horizon event (and even that may be possible). opposition is useless.

those that don't will called antiques, relics or collectors Wink.
christycalhoun

Activity: 378

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 08:45:29 PM

I wonder how many people will be killed due to errors in these self driving cars. GPS navigation systems and google maps are not even fully accurate.

MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 08:47:57 PM

I wonder how many people will be killed due to errors in these self driving cars. GPS navigation systems and google maps are not even fully accurate.

Really important point. I've often found myself in locations that don't exist on GPS systems, and it saying we're home when we're miles away, etc.
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 09:52:34 PM

Really important point. I've often found myself in locations that don't exist on GPS systems, and it saying we're home when we're miles away, etc.

GPS is more then accurate enough that is not the problem.
Core parts of the self driving car are the information gathering sensors and the software that handles the information correct. There is still more testing needed, also there would be a need to fundamentally change the law regarding car driving (and probaly car insurance).

Imagine a "bug".

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌