Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:18:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ Fixed ] Problem on Ubuntu  (Read 4747 times)
letsplayagame

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 11:38:21 PM

Get a Mac.

UBUNTU SUCKS!

That was not a very helpful response.

Chess, Bitcoin, Privacy and Freedom
Code:
 Make BTC Donations via XMR.TO or Shapeshift XMR: 47nMGDMQxEB8CWpWT7QgBLDmTSxgjm9831dVeu24ebCeH8gNPG9RvZAYoPxW2JniKjeq5LXZafwdPWH7AmX2NVji3yYKy76 
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HardcoreSuperstar (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:35:27 AM

Thank you knight, but it still doesn't work.
The same message is displayed.
Ok...

Try
Code:
sudo apt-get -u dist-upgrade
And post the output of the running the command.

Code:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

HardcoreSuperstar (OP)

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:41:32 AM

I haven't used Ubuntu in a while but debian is my normal OS, which is similar.  Anyway, it'd be helpful if you could cut-n-paste the entire terminal sessions to either a pastebin or to this forum when requesting these kinds of help.  Oftentimes, someone who's very familiar with how the system works will see a specific detail if you post the sessions rather than just saying "it's the same message".  In any case, I'd consider ditching that PPA and just building from source.  On debian I'd get the source version of that bitcoin package and then do builddep to install dependencies.  After that you just make && make install.

Let us see some sessions, please!

Thank you for your reply.
Here is a complete terminal session: http://pastebin.com/7zeuZHHM

I just followed the instructions contained in this website: http://www.distrogeeks.com/install-bitcoin-qt-ubuntu/

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 12:13:42 PM

If you can't install from source just download the binaries from bitcoin.org. They work out of the box. Just extract the tarball and run.
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 06:38:33 AM

I haven't used Ubuntu in a while but debian is my normal OS, which is similar.  Anyway, it'd be helpful if you could cut-n-paste the entire terminal sessions to either a pastebin or to this forum when requesting these kinds of help.  Oftentimes, someone who's very familiar with how the system works will see a specific detail if you post the sessions rather than just saying "it's the same message".  In any case, I'd consider ditching that PPA and just building from source.  On debian I'd get the source version of that bitcoin package and then do builddep to install dependencies.  After that you just make && make install.

Let us see some sessions, please!

Thank you for your reply.
Here is a complete terminal session: http://pastebin.com/7zeuZHHM

I just followed the instructions contained in this website: http://www.distrogeeks.com/install-bitcoin-qt-ubuntu/

Yes, I did take a closer look at your session.  I've run into this problem on debian in the past and usually it's resolved by using dpkg to do the configure step by hand, as knightdk had suggested.  If I were you, I'd look more closely at *why* the packages which is says "cannot be installed" cannot be installed.   Perhaps you get that info with "apt-get install -f"?  I can't recall at the moment.
Bitmix.in

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2015, 07:18:30 AM

I've reproduced the same steps you took in a Ubuntu 15.04 Virtual Machine.

The installation was successful and the package manager resolved the dependencies automatically.

That's why I asked: Are you using a clean Ubuntu installation? Or, on the other hand, this machine did already have Ubuntu installed along with other packages which could have caused the holding broken packages error?

Take a look at:
Official Ubuntu Documentation on broken packages: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto#How_to_fix_broken_packages
http://askubuntu.com/questions/223237/unable-to-correct-problems-you-have-held-broken-packages
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2113213
HardcoreSuperstar (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 10:44:20 AM

If you can't install from source just download the binaries from bitcoin.org. They work out of the box. Just extract the tarball and run.

Ok. I have downloaded it from bitcoin.org and then extracted the tarball. But which application do I need to run the bitcoin-qt file? I am trying with Ubuntu Software Center but I get an error message  Angry

achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2015, 01:50:10 PM

Ok. I have downloaded it from bitcoin.org and then extracted the tarball. But which application do I need to run the bitcoin-qt file? I am trying with Ubuntu Software Center but I get an error message  Angry
Open up a terminal in the bin folder and run the following commands
Code:
chmod +x bitcoin-qt
./bitcoin-qt
Every time you want to run bitcoin at, you need to use the second command. Don't close the terminal while the program is running.

HardcoreSuperstar (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 07:39:24 PM

Ok. I have downloaded it from bitcoin.org and then extracted the tarball. But which application do I need to run the bitcoin-qt file? I am trying with Ubuntu Software Center but I get an error message  Angry
Code:
chmod +x bitcoin-qt
./bitcoin-qt
Every time you want to run bitcoin at, you need to use the second command. Don't close the terminal while the program is running.

Thank you very much Abdussamad and knightdk!
Now it works  Grin

I would like to make a donation to both of you to thank you for your patience and help.

Please send me a PM or reply under this post writing your addresses.
I am gonna make it as soon as possible.

tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 08:21:58 PM

I'm glad to see that you got it working.  In the end, you just downloaded the precompiled binaries?

Code:
chmod +x bitcoin-qt
./bitcoin-qt

Now it works  Grin

I would like to make a donation to both of you to thank you for your patience and help.

HardcoreSuperstar (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 08:31:48 PM

I'm glad to see that you got it working.  In the end, you just downloaded the precompiled binaries?

Code:
chmod +x bitcoin-qt
./bitcoin-qt

Now it works  Grin

Yes, I downloaded the precompiled binaries from bitcoin.org, extracted the tarball and then opened bitcoin-qt by the terminal.
The procedure described here didn't work.

achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2015, 08:40:12 PM

You can tip me at 16mT7jrpkjnJBD7a3TM2awyxHub58H6r6Z

HardcoreSuperstar (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 08:47:29 PM

You can tip me at 16mT7jrpkjnJBD7a3TM2awyxHub58H6r6Z

Tip sent: https://blockchain.info/it/tx/e46601bf8f22bfe62714069e7ecc41afc5132388f49762e14e638d79a4942792
Thank you again!

tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 12:04:08 AM

Yes, I downloaded the precompiled binaries from bitcoin.org, extracted the tarball and then opened bitcoin-qt by the terminal.
The procedure described here didn't work.
I wonder if that particular ppa isn't updated very often, if that's why the dependencies couldn't be installed (perhaps because newer versions are already installed on your system or something along those lines).  Anyway, I'm glad you got it figured out.
Bitmix.in

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2015, 09:52:17 AM

I wonder if that particular ppa isn't updated very often, if that's why the dependencies couldn't be installed (perhaps because newer versions are already installed on your system or something along those lines).  Anyway, I'm glad you got it figured out.

I personally performed a clean Ubuntu 15.04 installation. Then, I replicated the same steps that HardcoreSuperstar did, and I did not have that dependencies problems.
The PPA is updated in each bitcoin-qt revision, If I'm not confused.

I would like to know if you are able to install any other package:
Try doing: apt-get install <some-package> - (for example: apt-get install build-essential)
Because this problem might not be PPA or bitcoin-qt-package related, but I misconfiguration in Ubuntu and the package manager itself.

Do this if you would like to further continue diagnosing.
HardcoreSuperstar (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 02:00:06 PM

I wonder if that particular ppa isn't updated very often, if that's why the dependencies couldn't be installed (perhaps because newer versions are already installed on your system or something along those lines).  Anyway, I'm glad you got it figured out.

I personally performed a clean Ubuntu 15.04 installation. Then, I replicated the same steps that HardcoreSuperstar did, and I did not have that dependencies problems.

Try doing: apt-get install <some-package> - (for example: apt-get install build-essential)
Because this problem might not be PPA or bitcoin-qt-package related, but I misconfiguration in Ubuntu and the package manager itself.

Yes, I can install build-essential.

achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2015, 03:31:31 PM

The problem hardcoresuperstar had is not a problem with the ppa, but a problem with his install of Ubuntu. At some point during the installation or during use, something happened that misconfigured something so that he gets all of those dependency errors.

tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
October 12, 2015, 07:09:22 PM

The problem hardcoresuperstar had is not a problem with the ppa, but a problem with his install of Ubuntu. At some point during the installation or during use, something happened that misconfigured something so that he gets all of those dependency errors.

Right, and usually you can, if you're a glutton for punishment, drill down into those errors and find out exactly what packages are preventing each other from installing, but in this case harcoresuperstar wasn't really advanced enough to do this.  In the end, it seems to me like downloading a precompiled binary might have been a good match for this user's level of experience and pluck.
Bitmix.in

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2015, 07:37:09 PM

In the end, it seems to me like downloading a precompiled binary might have been a good match for this user's level of experience and pluck.

When downloading a precompiled binary, it's also a good practice to perform checksums.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: