Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:49:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions on how to sell coins here and get them graded  (Read 2081 times)
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 08:26:02 PM

Hey, I have just a few Physical Casascius and Titans Bitcoins, and would rather have a little bit more BTC, so I figure I will sell them.
I am in Germany, anyone know of a place that does grading or is there a "community" so to speak, of a graders association? (Meaning, can I go to any grader who abides by standards.)
I'd like to get them in the sealed clear plastic boxes I see others using with a description and the grade on it.

Any idea on the cost to get one graded?

Any suggestions and such is appreciated,
IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dazedfool
Legendary

Activity: 1511
Merit: 1127

derp

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 04:47:04 PM

Check the Goods section here. Lots of Casascius coin traders.

Grading is generally by ANACS out of the USA. ref http://www.anacs.com. Cost is about 20usd each plus shipping both ways.
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 07:33:29 PM

Grading is generally by ANACS out of the USA. ref http://www.anacs.com. Cost is about 20usd each plus shipping both ways.

Yeah, I've been through the Goods section but didn't want to post questions there.
I saw ANACS mentioned but isn't there something similar in Europe? Must be some kind of other grading companies.

Thanks for the reply,
IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 08:47:46 PM

There are other graders but ANACS has become the gold standard for physical coins. People may not be too turned on by a coin graded elsewhere. It is a major hassle getting coins to ANACS though and the shipping is a brute. You could do a group send with a trusted EU based coin dealer.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 12:39:59 AM

Someone just made a post about proving that grade from NGS also are just as good. I believe it was member Pistachio.
http://www.ngccoin.com/contact-us.aspx

I'm sure many graders are just as good or better, it's the expectations of the buyers that might assure that ANACS is preferred. I haven't seen many or any coins graded by others up for sale. Are there any precedents?
yenxz

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 05:12:23 AM

i also have one,i'm in indonesia..pm me soon Cheesy
monkeynuts
Legendary

Activity: 1251
Merit: 1259

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 11:08:14 PM

Yeah, I've been through the Goods section but didn't want to post questions there.
I saw ANACS mentioned but isn't there something similar in Europe? Must be some kind of other grading companies.

Thanks for the reply,
IAS

You may want to contact member "monkeynuts"
I believe him to be in Europe and deals with many graded coins.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Smiley

I missed this thread !!!

I am in the UK, and regularly have batches go to ANACS

Fire me over a PM if you are still wanting to do this. I will pretty much do it at cost, as more coins in a batch reduces the 'shipping costs per coin' down (for yours, and the other coins in the batch). Gives us Europeans more chance of a level playing field with the US guys. I can pass on a few names that I have done this for already so they can vouch (I will need to check that they are happy me doing this first), but I have done this for a number of forum members now.

Failing that, let me know if any of your cas coins are available for sale. I am looking for silver halfs, and 2011 series 2 brass.
Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2015, 05:19:57 AM

Thanks for the reply,
IAS

There are other coin grading companies but most of them (if not all except ANACS) don't grad physical bitcoins. ANACS has been very open to doing this service. BUT, ANACS is also considered the 3rd best/reputable (of three major) coin grading companies in the US so it's likely that ANACS saw an opportunity to make some money and become a service provider to an area of the coin grading world that wasn't being serviced by anyone else.

They'll probably accept international orders - it'll just cost more.

Here's what I'd do, sell your coins without grading. Majority of existing, loaded Casascius coins have never been circulated. Most have just sat in a roll or in a case. The quality is nearly the same across all of these coins. Those that have their coins graded insist that it increases the value - it doesn't. I'd offer your coins for whatever you think their worth, take good pictures, and negotiate with all interested buyers.

Good luck.

gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 01:02:34 PM

Those that have their coins graded insist that it increases the value - it doesn't.

They do fetch considerably more than ungraded coins. It's daffy but an easily verifiable fact.
Possum577

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2015, 04:46:16 AM

So a 1BTC 1oz silver coin should cost 1BTC + ~$15.......

No. A graded Casascius coin should sell for the same as a non-graded Casascius coin provided the two coins are the same mintage and style and condition. In fact, I would only pay less for a graded coin because it has that ugly slab around it which makes it terrible for display - but I'm rare in that category.

I don't care about the grading, I care about which coins s/he has because I may be interested in buying them? The coins in question are "the ones out for grading", which is why I refer to them as such.

then why do you care about grading??
Which Casascius coins are out for grading? What denomination? What year? Pics? Thanks.

Why so critical?

Possum577

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2015, 04:47:34 AM

Those that have their coins graded insist that it increases the value - it doesn't.

They do fetch considerably more than ungraded coins. It's daffy but an easily verifiable fact.

Thanks for agreeing with me - it's daffy indeed. If anything the premium should ONLY be equal to the cost of the grading service, but that's me.

So...to the OP...any pics of these coins? What coins are they? Let's talk business!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: