Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 06:26:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane on East Coast - possible Bitcoin service disruptions  (Read 3259 times)
TheHarbinger

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Why is it so damn hot in here?

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 11:17:50 AM

We likely won't see enough of an effect that can't be confused with the normal network variance.  While the news is hyping this up significantly, just remember a few key things:

1) The hurricane is not going to be affecting that many people overall (outside of heavy rain/wind).  The vast majority of the east coast will still have power and internet service, though it might not be as reliable as they're used to.
2) Coastal cities tend to have fairly high living costs per square foot, and higher electric costs, so the concentration of huge mining farms is likely very small in areas affected by the hurricane.

Not trying to start an argument or anything but...

It wasn't a hurricane. I know, I know, the news stations were blasting out all over the airwaves that it was, but it wasn't when it made landfall.

I wouldn't say 6.5 million people without power isn't "affecting that many people overall".

Probably the highest concentration of BitCoin nodes on the planet is located in the northeastern U.S.  While the number of nodes does not directly indicate the total hashrate from an area, it's a pretty good correlation.

On the other hand, I doubt the hashrate drop from that area will be large enough, or long enough to make any major change to the next difficulty adjustment.

12Um6jfDE7q6crm1s6tSksMvda8s1hZ3Vj
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 12:56:53 PM

I'd just like to be clear, Bitcoin will not be affected by any storm. Maybe some other related services, but Bitcoin itself is too distributed to be affected by something so small as a hurricane.

Im wondering if all those power outage will reflect on total network hash power !!!   If many miners got power outage...

We'll see..

Six blocks in the last hour. It would be hard to tell any way, due to statistical variance.

Indeed, seems that normal variance account to a bigger proportion than the number of miner affected by power outage !    This conclusion helps figuring how big is the bitcoin computational power Smiley  impressive !

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: