Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:46:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's a proper measure of economic growth?  (Read 2375 times)
amagimetals

Activity: 519
Merit: 501

:|: AmagiMetals :|: AnthemGold :|: HERC :|:

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 07:38:56 PM

Increased consumption is a consequence of economic growth, not the cause of economic growth.

Capitalism is called capitalism because economic growth occurs from an accumulation of capital. To find economic growth you should look at capital accumulation (investment and savings), rather than GDP which includes government and private consumption.

AmagiMetals.com is a global eCommerce precious metals retailer and advocates for free markets, free choice, financial responsibility, and sound money.
Join us on: Facebook - Twitter - Google Plus

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xxjs

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 12:35:01 PM

https://mises.org/daily/6306/Government-Bloat-is-Not-Growth
Vitalik Buterin

Activity: 330
Merit: 397

View Profile
December 31, 2012, 09:35:35 PM

GDP is actually quite useless IMO, even not taking into account arguments that an economy that "produces" less may still be better because it may have much more leisure time or non-monetary activity. Once you think about it, the reason why is quite obvious. Over the very long term, where busts and booms and structural shifts become irrelevant, what does the GDP ultimately track? The answer is simple: inflation. If you take the modern economy, and substitute computers and high-tech biomedical devices and all our other 21st century goodies with all their 18th century equivalents, chances are the GDP will still be something close to the exact same $15 trillion - what is being traded for the money will simply change. But if you keep the modern economy and pass a law that doubles the money supply every year for ten years, by 2023 the GDP is going to be at least $15 quadrillion, if not rapidly approaching infinity.

GDP indexed to CPI is a start, although CPIs tend to be very easy to politicize. Direct quality of life indices (eg. health, happiness, education, leisure, square feet housing per person) also have their weaknesses - failing a direct quality of life index may simply reflect a difference in preferences rather than any actual weakness in the underlying economy. If people don't care about one of the above variables (eg. hard working culture, anti-intellectualism, urbanism vs suburbanism, Achilles' attitude to fame vs longevity), then the score within that group will be quite low even though the wealth may be there to make everything trivially available for anyone who wants it. Ultimately I don't think there is anything close to an index that can say for sure if an economy is doing "well" or not. Targeted statistical measures like money supply inflation, disease mortality rate, etc, are all very useful for those who care about those specific variables, but the more general you get the less valuable the numbers become.

Argumentum ad lunam: the fallacy that because Bitcoin's price is rising really fast the currency must be a speculative bubble and/or Ponzi scheme.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 02:00:22 PM

I think the best measurement would be by measuring how much goods/services does a fixed amount of money buy. This of course could be a basket and goods could be divided into categories and assigned point value so you could end up with a sum of points per money unit as an index.

And to determine the basket and point value of categories you'd simply do a large and broad enough survey of the population. The more some type of goods show up the higher point value they'd get, the cheaper it is to buy them the higher the point multiplier.. ect.

Of course I wouldn't trust such an index coming from a centralized involuntary organization like a government either but if it were provided by the market I think it could give us a pretty good indication of economic growth especially since how I define economic growth is being able to afford more goods/services than before.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 02:12:07 PM

The trade balance is not GDP, but it helps to export more than you import. Growth has become a meaningless magic buzz word, like "IT".

If the medical profession took it as lightly as politicians defining growth, it would be sufficient to diagnose all deaths as accidents or old age.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 01:30:08 AM

Consumer surplus: median income - basic cost of living (adjusting both for family size).

If a new disease treatment is created that is far cheaper and more effective than previous treatments, GDP would fall but consumer surplus would rise (medical expenses portion of basic cost of living would decrease).

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 09:42:56 PM

Consumer surplus: median income - basic cost of living (adjusting both for family size).

If a new disease treatment is created that is far cheaper and more effective than previous treatments, GDP would fall but consumer surplus would rise (medical expenses portion of basic cost of living would decrease).

+1  Consumer surplus as you define it looks like a winner so far.. 
can you find some more data for us Smiley
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 06:24:21 AM

Why would GDP fall?  Unless you think the consumer will not spend the money (i.e. my insulun use to cost $200 per month but now I have this pill for $20 per month which does the same thing so I guess I should burn this $180 left over)?
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 09:44:43 AM

Why would GDP fall?  Unless you think the consumer will not spend the money (i.e. my insulun use to cost $200 per month but now I have this pill for $20 per month which does the same thing so I guess I should burn this $180 left over)?

Because the savings rate has been negative in this country since around 2001 so that $180 left over will go to paying down debt, which causes deflationary pressure.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: