Bitcoin Forum
December 08, 2016, 08:01:06 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cash out, or keep?  (Read 1822 times)
Confidence Man

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 06:05:37 PM

I'm currently using both of the high-end videocards in my main rig for pool mining (a GTX 580 that I had for games and an HD 5870 I recently got on eBay for this purpose). I'm running at 510 Mhash/sec in Phoenix with both of them active, and receive about 1 BTC every 24 hours or so.

Since I got started on May 19th, the price in USD of a bitcoin has more than doubled, and I'm trying to decide if I should cash out what I receive each month and pay down some high interest debt I have over the next three or four months, or save most of the bitcoins in hopes that they become worth even more, and just make slightly over minimum payments on these bills.

What would you do?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 06:09:34 PM

Paying interest is always a losing proposition.

First get rid of debts & paying interest to a third party, then save up your BTC or sell it as you wish later.

The more you postpone a high interest loan the more you set yourself up for cumulative losses. If I were you I'd pay it off a.s.a.p

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
PLATO

Activity: 277

Subversive

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2011, 06:15:56 PM

Well, if the value of your bitcoins continues to appreciate faster than the interest on your debt, it's in your best interest to save the bitcoins and pay off the debt later.

Of course, there's no gurantee that'll happen. IMHO value will continue increasing longterm but we'll see a correction soon.
jancsika

Activity: 81

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 07:20:37 PM

1. Pay debt now + future $1,000,000 Bitcoin + you generating 1 Bitcoin/day = Win

2. Pay debt now + future $0 Bitcoin + you generating 1 Bitcoin/day = Win

3. Pay debt later + future $1,000,000 Bitcoin + you generating 1 Bitcoin/day = Win

4. Pay debt later + future $0 Bitcoin + you generating 1 Bitcoin/day = Lose

The only possible way to lose is if Bitcoin market crashes AND you put off paying debt.  I assume you cannot control the future but that you CAN control whether or not you pay off your debt.

So if you want to be a sure winner, pay off that debt.  Unless of course the shame and regret that potentially comes from becoming rich-but-not-AS-rich-as-you-could-have-been-had-you-been-able-to-predict-the-future is just too heartbreaking to bear.
shady financier

Activity: 84

etcetera

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 07:43:33 PM

go with minimax.

1G8AUgSTAw8hfatNnDHuYEqBAUzC3qvAAL

Bitcoin news: http://thebitcoinsun.com/

Rapidlybuybitcoin here.

The value of goods, expressed in money, is called “price”, while the value of money, expressed in goods, is called “value”. C. Quigley
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1431

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 08:36:41 PM

What kind of answer do you expect?
tomcollins

Activity: 182

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 08:54:10 PM

First get rid of debts & paying interest to a third party, then save up your BTC or sell it as you wish later.

The more you postpone a high interest loan the more you set yourself up for cumulative losses. If I were you I'd pay it off a.s.a.p

Always?  You using Dave Ramsey logic or something?

I wonder why businesses take out loans to expand their business if it's always a losing proposition.  Must be a lot of idiots or something!
c-rock

Activity: 61

I love the Cloud, and Love Mining, how 2 combine?

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2011, 09:05:59 PM

Debt is slavery.

There is a happy medium.

They say the average millionaire saves more than 12% of their income.  Make a plan.

But my suggestion is pay off the debts.   I live a debt free lifestyle.  My mortgage is my only concern right now. 

Makes life simplistic in a way.   

Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 09:32:06 PM

Always?  You using Dave Ramsey logic or something?

I wonder why businesses take out loans to expand their business if it's always a losing proposition.  Must be a lot of idiots or something!

Debt is a bond.
We are not talking IPO's or new issues of shares/corporate loans with low annual rates.

Going as small scale as a single person with a few thousand bucks at best, I think it's pretty safe to say he has nothing to gain from paying 25% or higher interest per month
(he said high interest so I'm assuming one of those quick loan/payday schemes). Especially if he keeps postponing it & the interest starts compounding.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
error

Activity: 574

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 09:56:35 PM

Paying off your debt is pretty much always a good idea. I'd put at least half your bitcoin income toward it.

15UFyv6kfWgq83Pp3yhXPr8rknv9m6581W
PLATO

Activity: 277

Subversive

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 12:28:04 AM

Well, if the dollar crashed, and hyperinflated, I could pay off my fixed-rate loans with a single bitcoin.
Dobrodav

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 02:31:56 AM

Well, if dollar will hyper inflated, best currency`s will be bullets and alcohol.

We will  meet in not-so-distant future.
Today`s strange music :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8mCgjbBPMk
Yesterday`s  strange music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uCTyC1FGLw
rezin777

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 02:35:26 AM

Well, if dollar will hyper inflated, best currency`s will be bullets and alcohol.

You forgot beans. And bullion.  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.