Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:40:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where I've been for the past week  (Read 3514 times)
eMansipater (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2011, 06:12:47 PM
Last edit: June 04, 2011, 09:55:22 PM by eMansipater

Some of you may have noticed I've been scarce around these parts for the past 7 days, and that despite a couple new donations to the "New to BitCoin" thread I haven't done any more writing for it, updated bitSyndicated, been drumming up support for the BitCoin Q&A site, moved things any further on the BitCoin Wikipedia translation bounties, pushed to increase usability on the forums, or generally done any of the things that I'm normally seen puttering about on here.

The reason for this is very simple--on May 28th (last Saturday) the most beautiful woman in the world agreed to marry me!  In order to fit the wedding in before some family members leave the country we will be getting married on June 19th (two weeks from tomorrow).  To say it's been the busiest week of my life would be the understatement of the century.

So why isn't this in Off-topic?  Well, despite all the joking about this community being so male-heavy my fiance is (if possible) even a bigger fan of BitCoin than I am.  So I suspect that our wedding, with similar echoes to PLATO's BitCoin road trip, is going to be essentially the first "BitCoin Wedding":

When we send out invitations today, we will be including a bitcoin address alongside the gift list as our preferred financial favour.  Bitcoins we receive are not going to be sold for fiat currency.  Instead they will either be held for our future together, invested as bitcoins within the bitcoin economy by buying goods or services denominated in bitcoins, or donated to worthy BitCoin causes.

Given the number of friends and relatives we have who are now bitwealthy after buying on my advice, this is more practical for us than it would be for most couples at such an early stage of BitCoin adoption.  Also, our friends and relatives are spread out all over the world so sending money by other means is difficult at best.  The bitcoin economy isn't quite broad enough yet for all the little things (decorations, etc.) to be bought in bitcoins, but a significant part of the income that pays for them will have come from bitcoin earnings (now the majority of my income for several months running).  Our sound technician has expressed interest in being paid by bitcoin, and if we receive enough we hope to pay our photographer partly in bitcoin as well.  Even the minister officiating our wedding (who holds more bitcoins than I do!) would likely accept his honorarium in bitcoins.

We are still working out the details, but my fiance and I want to try and stream the wedding (for which a videographer would be paid in bitcoins) and/or record it to upload for our friends and family around the globe.  If we get it all figured out, we might be able to acknowledge bitcoin donations as they come in live during our special day.  This is the digital age and this is what a wedding looks like.  BitCoin is at home here.

There's been some joking around in the community about kitty activism (using BitCoin for emotionally unassailable things in order to protect it), but I think the more serious issue this idea brings to mind for me is that if bitcoins don't have uses in the everyday world where people live, they're going to at best be relegated to the dark alleyways of Silk Road and Tor.  Getting married is a part of my real life, and I want to use BitCoin to make something possible that wouldn't be possible without it.  It's as simple as that.

Thank you all for understanding that I might not be as active around here until after my wedding and honeymoon, especially Meni/Holy-Fire.  After your verbal and financial support I wanted to pump out one or two more threads right away but now those probably won't happen until the end of June.  Just know I didn't forget about you Smiley .  Here's to a beautiful technological future for my kids to grow up in!

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 06:18:38 PM

congratulations!

and all the best.
nussbi

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 06:30:58 PM

congratulations having found your special someone!
paulie_w

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 06:37:24 PM

that's so awesome -- the whole thing. congrats!
Pieter Wuille
Legendary

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2011, 06:39:20 PM

Congratulations!

I do Bitcoin stuff.
PLATO

Activity: 493

Don't trust "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange"

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 06:42:29 PM

Dude! Congrats! Where's the wedding going to be?

All posts by me after 2012 were a compromised account. Probably by "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange". SORRY Y'ALL
carlerha

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 06:49:33 PM

congrats! let us know what reactions you get Smiley
Dansker

Activity: 740

Hello world!

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 07:46:29 PM

Congratz, good luck, and do send us all a postcard from the big day Wink

shady financier

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

etcetera

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 08:20:28 PM
Last edit: June 04, 2011, 08:40:24 PM by ~~~~~

Huzzah!  Smiley

1G8AUgSTAw8hfatNnDHuYEqBAUzC3qvAAL

Bitcoin news: http://thebitcoinsun.com/

Rapidlybuybitcoin here.

The value of goods, expressed in money, is called “price”, while the value of money, expressed in goods, is called “value”. C. Quigley
airdata

Activity: 1148
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 08:20:36 PM

The story will only get better if you tell me that you met her on these forums or through a bitcoin transaction Smiley

Congratulations!  May your wedding and honey moon go off without a hitch, and many btc slide into your wallet.

▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  █████████████████▀      ▀████████████████▀      ▀████████
▄█████████     ████████████████   ▄██▄   ██████████████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
████████████   ███████████████████████   ████████████████████▀   ████████
████████████   █████████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████     █████████
████████████   ███████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████████▄   ████████
▀███████████   █████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████   ▀██▀   ███████▀
███████████   ████████████████          ███████████████▄      ▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀
......swap...Swap, Earn, Bridge, Mint Crypto
& NFT in Multiple Chains
...MVP LIVE...
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2011, 11:27:03 PM

I'm so happy for you! Have the best of luck for this new phase of your life.

I'm glad I was able to motivate you a little. Obviously you have more important things on your mind right now. Now you can also work on bringing little Bitcoiners to the world Smiley.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 04:31:54 AM

gosh, when i saw the title of this thread, i thought you were going to apologize for spending so much time on that Bitcoin4Cash thread!  glad it was about something more pleasant!
enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 04:36:32 AM

That's awesome! I've been funding my upcoming (Sept. 5) wedding with proceeds from bitcoin mining but I never thought to put an address on the invitations, which is frankly brilliant. Unfortunately I've still got to pay the vendors in USD otherwise maybe we really *would* be competing to have the first "bitcoin wedding"  Grin
DamienBlack

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 03:40:20 PM

Congratulations. I just so happen to own a wedding photography and videography company that works all over the US. I would, of course, be willing to arrange something in bitcoins. I've been wondering if there is a demand for bitcoin wedding photographers. I guess there is. PM me if you want information.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 09:30:54 PM

Congratulations to you and your fiancé.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Threshold

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2011, 09:40:38 PM

I'm a newbie, so I hadn't had the opportunity to miss you this past week... ...but I am also a married man and I certainly give you my heartfelt congratulations.

I pray your marriage is a joy and that both of your love grows stronger each day.

Earn free bitcoins at:  http://www.freebitcoins.org/4296
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 10:48:47 PM

Congratulations, and yes I had noticed a void of intellectualism on the forums recently
eMansipater (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 01:50:34 AM

Congratulations. I just so happen to own a wedding photography and videography company that works all over the US. I would, of course, be willing to arrange something in bitcoins. I've been wondering if there is a demand for bitcoin wedding photographers. I guess there is. PM me if you want information.
Thanks Damien, but I'm not in the US.  Worth adding yourself to the wiki, though!

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
Quantumplation

Activity: 308

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 11:16:04 PM

Where are you located?  My mom just offered to make the wedding cake in bitcoins, if you're somewhere she can transport it to easily.  She's been doing cake decorating since 2008, and Pasty in general for 12 years.  She graduated from the prestigious Le Cordon Bleu (before they sold out to the US Wink We lived in London at the time).  If you're interested, she can send a portfolio, and if you can provide travel accommodations she's more than willing to travel to be a part of this.  She's been increasingly excited about the bitcoin phenomenon since I started with it last year, and wants to do anything she can to help the bitcoin economy grow (and secure some for herself).  I mentioned this in a conversation with her in the context of "look how the bitcoin economy is growing", and she leapt on the idea to do the wedding cake.

NOTE: This account was compromised from 2017 to 2021.  I'm in the process of deleting posts not made by me.
PLATO

Activity: 493

Don't trust "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange"

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 02:31:05 AM

oh my god emansipater you HAVE to have a bitcoin wedding cake

it must look like a bitcoin

All posts by me after 2012 were a compromised account. Probably by "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange". SORRY Y'ALL
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: