Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:14:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why was this deleted?  (Read 4214 times)
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2015, 05:56:42 PM

Posting brings your thread back to the top. If nobody else is posting in the thread, this may show the topic is either uninteresting or doesn't merit much discussion. Bumping the thread isn't just bumping the thread, it's also removing another topic from the front page, which may be more interesting or worthy of discussion.

This means that bumping a thread isn't just a marketplace guideline (relevant, note it's located in Bitcoin Discussion, in a thread about general moderation), though it's typically enforced more heavily in the marketplace for obvious reasons.

Whether this should be applied in the discussion portion of the forums is largely a judgement call on that particular situation, and the posts in question.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ahpku (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 12:14:32 PM

You are exceeding the bump limit in this topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1191177.msg12677013#msg12677013. The limit for bumping your topics is once every 24 hours. "update" posts also count as bumps.

If I listened long enough to you
   I'd find a way to believe that it's all true
   Knowing that you lied straight-faced while I cried
   Still I look to find a reason to believe...

ahpku (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 12:08:24 PM

Bump?

ahpku (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 12:07:16 PM

Bump. Why wasn't this user banned yet?
Have you issued a similar warning to my sister thread?
actually I did
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 04:23:05 PM

Aren't  you just another NotLambChop alt? You certainly have the smell on you, maybe that's why mods treat you differently.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
ahpku (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 04:29:49 PM

Aren't  you just another NotLambChop alt? You certainly have the smell on you, maybe that's why mods treat you differently.

Aren't you a bit off topic?
This thread is about fair and evenhanded moderation, also about keeping one's word, so that shit like NotLambchop/BtcCoScammedMex_xxxxx/MrFudged wouldn't happen.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 04:30:04 PM

I think TheBear did a pretty good job in explaining why you are unable to post consecutively as you have been while the other thread can.

If no one is replying to your thread and you are continuously posting additional content then another, possibly interesting thread is going to get removed from the 1st page. The fact that there is not a lot of conversation in your thread might be a sign that others do not find your thread interesting. On the other hand if there is some amount of conversation going on in a particular thread then adding additional content via a new post is not going to cause that same damage because there is evidence that others find it interesting based on the amount of conversation in that thread.

I think it would probably be a good idea to refine the 1 bump per 24 hour rule a little bit for threads outside of the marketplace sections, and even possibly for threads in the marketplace sections (IMO there should be two separate rules -- but both should be changed somewhat).

I also think the fact that it took so long to get a solid answer as to if threads can be bumped multiple times per day outside of the marketplace sections with solid evidence is a pretty good reason to have the rules be more centralized and not have moderators have to rely on rules that are scattered throughout the forum, and that were made over several years.
ahpku (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 04:43:01 PM

I think TheBear did a pretty good job in explaining why you are unable to post consecutively as you have been while the other thread can.

If no one is replying to your thread and you are continuously posting additional content then another, possibly interesting thread is going to get removed from the 1st page. The fact that there is not a lot of conversation in your thread might be a sign that others do not find your thread interesting.

Or it might be a sign that news reportage is not a dialectic/an interactive activity. I read The New York Times, and, at times, find it interesting. Not once have I felt the need to reply.  I also read books. Without ever writing "OMG, ur awesom! <3!' to the authors.

On the other hand if there is some amount of conversation going on in a particular thread then adding additional content via a new post is not going to cause that same damage because there is evidence that others find it interesting based on the amount of conversation in that thread.

We're talking about dozens of consecutive posts, containing nothing but screen captures and links, the very definition of 'spam.' As opposed to my 2 to 4 posts per day of original content.

But most of all, we're talking about fair, evenhanded moderation, impartiality, and keeping one's word.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 01:54:48 AM

If no one is replying to your thread and you are continuously posting additional content then another, possibly interesting thread is going to get removed from the 1st page. The fact that there is not a lot of conversation in your thread might be a sign that others do not find your thread interesting.

Or it might be a sign that news reportage is not a dialectic/an interactive activity. I read The New York Times, and, at times, find it interesting. Not once have I felt the need to reply.  I also read books. Without ever writing "OMG, ur awesom! <3!' to the authors.
People writing comments like "OMG, ur awesom! <3!' would not be conversation, it would be useless garbage. Posts that would indicative of interesting content in a thread would be posts that actually discuss the content of the articles you are posting.

If you have a better way to reliably measure how interesting a thread is then feel free to propose one.  
Quote from: QS
On the other hand if there is some amount of conversation going on in a particular thread then adding additional content via a new post is not going to cause that same damage because there is evidence that others find it interesting based on the amount of conversation in that thread.

We're talking about dozens of consecutive posts, containing nothing but screen captures and links, the very definition of 'spam.' As opposed to my 2 to 4 posts per day of original content.
The posts themselves may be of somewhat low quality, however if the threads they are posted in generate constructive discussion based on those low quality posts then maybe the posts are not as close to "spam" as you claim.

Bear in mind (no pun intended) that this is a discussion forum, not a news forum, so topics posted should be discussed.
But most of all, we're talking about fair, evenhanded moderation, impartiality, and keeping one's word.
Global moderators only have the ability to permanently ban someone, and if they want someone to be banned on a temporary basis then they must post in the staff section of the forum requesting a ban. I don't think anyone is going to be permanently banned for bumping multiple times as both of you have been doing without first receiving at least 3 temp bans, although I may be wrong about this.

This means that Grue is most likely not going to be able to ban the OP of your sister's thread. Also when a moderator is working a report, they have three choices, to mark it as "good" (this means they took some kind of action -- for example they deleted a post), mark it as "bad" (this means they took no action as a result of your repot, and to "ignore" the report (this means they took no action on the report, but the report will still show up in other moderator's queues for them to handle if desired). If Grue does not feel strongly enough to take action on your reports then he may simply ignore the report. Moderators are volunteers, not employees and they are not specifically required to take any action they do not wish to take.

You also need to take into consideration that moderation is designed to benefit the community as a whole. As I mentioned before, if a potentially interesting thread (as evidenced as one that is frequently replied to) is removed from the first page of a section because a potentially uninteresting thread (based on the lack of replies to such thread) then it is probably fair to say the community would be harmed by the lack of moderation of multiple updates, while the lack of moderation of an interesting thread would not do the same damage.

Additionally, having multiple unreplied-to  posts in a single thread is a sign that the posts you are making may be of low quality and low quality posts are generally removed.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 07:35:25 AM

Aren't you a bit off topic?
This thread is about fair and evenhanded moderation, also about keeping one's word, so that shit like NotLambchop/BtcCoScammedMex_xxxxx/MrFudged wouldn't happen.

Not really. AFAIK bans are meant to apply to people, not their accounts. Perhaps the mods aren't quite sure you're NotLambChop but smell the stink anyway. (you know, specific writing style, modified propaganda posters, often Chinese, a rather obsessive nature, highly annoying and utterly biased...) Perhaps you're just not being afforded the same leeway as normal users would, since it's highly likely you're an alt of a banned user and shouldn't be allowed to post anything at all any more.

Just like a few others in Speculation... I guess the mods are trying a nuisance mitigation tactic of some sort.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
ahpku (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 01:28:28 PM

Global moderators only have the ability to permanently ban someone ... This means that Grue is most likely not going to be able to ban the OP of your sister's thread. ... If Grue does not feel strongly enough to take action on your reports then he may simply ignore the report.
Grue claims that he has issued a warning, as he has done in my case. While I have heeded the warning, my sister thread has chosen to blatantly disregard it. This leaves me with two possible interpretations:
1. The user should be banned for ignoring the warning.
2. No such warning was issued.
Is there a third?
You also need to take into consideration that moderation is designed to benefit the community as a whole.
The 'and also do whatever the fuck I feel like because it is for the greater good' clause. Once introduced, all further discussion is irrelevant.
As I mentioned before, if a potentially interesting thread (as evidenced as one that is frequently replied to)-snip-
Again, you're straying off topic. We aren't discussing the merits of a particular thread, but a user who has [allegedly] been told to stop, and continues to ignore the warning.

@rebuilder: Please stay on topic. If you wish to make an accusation against me, feel free to do so. But not in this thread.
>smell the stink anyway
And lighten up on the insults, faggot.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: