Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:45:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: hashkill windows version needed  (Read 2613 times)
dishwara (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 07:56:36 PM

hashkill, says it is faster than other miners.
But it is only LOCKED to Linux as developer "gat3way" is an opensource Linux fan or may be don't know Windows programming.
Some one with windows programming can develop windows version of hashkill in command prompt or better in GUI itself.

For this i hope a bounty can be set, so some programmers write windows version.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Atroxes

Activity: 119
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 08:16:48 PM

I support this initiative.

If hashkill is indeed faster (5% or more) a donation will certainly be sent.
gat3way

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 08:42:43 PM

It's a conspiracy to drive miners away from proprietary platforms. I also get a percentage from FSF's donations in BTC for doing this Smiley

Now seriously I would not mind someone porting that to Windows as I have no plans to do that soon (have other more important stuff to do - it is not about bitcoin mining only, but also password cracking and adding new algos is a priority over porting to windows. I also happen to have my own life, a full time job and a kid to take care of). However, porting this to Windows is not gonna be easy as the code itself is messy and depends on linux-specific stuff a lot. It was never intended to be ported to win.

Also, no, the performance advantage would be no more than 3% as compared to other miners. With the latest version, I had to focus on correctness and feature support over performance so the hashing speed kinda decreased using the "fast" command-line options. So no way you will be getting 5% more than phatk for example, except on 69xx hardware probably.

Also, it would not run nicely on multi-gpu systems on Windows and the reason for that is that the windows opencl runtime does not honor GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS. Until AMD fixes that on Windows, supporting multi-gpu configurations from inside a single-process application (even multithreaded) is useless as kernel invocations are to some extent serialized and CPU usage is high due to spinlock usage in the ocl runtime.

LegitBit

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 08:47:33 PM

....is useless as kernel invocations are to some extent serialized and CPU usage is high due to spinlock usage in the ocl runtime.

... wat.

Heh, well keep up all the good work, we who cannot code thankye for all the work you do.

Donate : 1EiAKUmTVtqXsaGLKQQVvLT9DDnHsT7jTZ (Block Explorer)
gat3way

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 08:53:31 PM

Well yes - you see you run your python miner and it uses a single device only. If you have e.g 4 GPUs, you would run 4 instances. That's no problem because those are 4 separate processes each of them having its own context and queue, operating on a single device only.

Hashkill works on all GPUs and creates one (or more) threads per device, each of them having its own context and own queue, all of them working withing a single process (single address space). On linux, this works if you have SDK 2.3 or higher. On Windows, this would still work, however performance would not be optimal and CPU usage would be always ~100%.

On single-GPU systems, that would not matter much. On multi-gpu systems on Windows (or Linux with older SDK) this sucks. And I can do nothing about it.
LegitBit

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 09:06:56 PM

Ahh ok, thank for the explanation.   Cheesy

Donate : 1EiAKUmTVtqXsaGLKQQVvLT9DDnHsT7jTZ (Block Explorer)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: