Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:30:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Roger Ver, ex-con?  (Read 10081 times)
MPOE-PR (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 09:36:49 AM

I just happened upon

The United States Attorney's Office for the Northern District of California announced today that Roger Ver was sentenced to 10 months in prison for selling explosives on the online auction site, eBay. The sentence was handed down by U.S. District Court Judge Jeremy Fogel following a guilty plea on one count of dealing in explosives without a license in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 842(a)(1); one count of illegally storing explosives in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 842(j); and one count of mailing injurious articles in violation Title 18, United States Code, Section 1716. Mr. Ver, 22, of San Jose, was charged in an information filed in federal district court on August 8, 2001. According to the plea agreement, Mr. Ver admitted to engaging in the business of selling explosives without a license from January 1999 through August 2000. According to the information and plea agreement, Mr. Ver sold explosive devices described as "Pest Control Report 2000" on the online auction site eBay. He purchased approximately 49 pounds of the devices from a supplier in South Carolina, and sold at least 14 pounds of the devices to bidders on eBay. While engaging in the business of selling explosive devices, Mr. Ver stored the explosives in a residential apartment building and mailed the devices via the United States Mail in a manner contrary to Postal Service regulations. Judge Fogel sentenced the Defendant to 10 months in federal prison, a fine of $2,000, as well as a three-year period of supervised release. The Defendant will begin serving the sentence on August 2, 2002. The prosecution was the result of an investigation by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. Scott Frewing is the Assistant U.S. Attorney who prosecuted the case with the assistance of Legal Assistant Lauri Gomez.

via justice.gov.

Is this news to everyone or just me?

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 09:51:15 AM

Seems they were some sort of fireworks.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 05:28:59 PM

Is this news to everyone or just me?

maybe not just you, but he isn't keeping it a secret:

As a convicted felon,  I think [...]
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2012, 05:43:20 PM

This is well known.  We still support Roger 100% with his support of bitcoin.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 06:03:38 PM

I found the original post particularly offensive.  

This is yet another reason that when your ignore button gets dark enough the user should automatically be given the douche bag tag and their posts should not longer be visable anywhere unless other users click on them.

MOE-PR - You should change that subject line too.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 06:17:18 PM

This is yet another reason that when your ignore button gets dark enough the user should automatically be given the douche bag tag and their posts should not longer be visable anywhere unless other users click on them.
gee... Thanks a lot for that...

Now back on topic.
I'm also an ex-con. And so what? Am I less of a person because I decided to stand for what I believed and got sent to jail because of it?
jwzguy

Activity: 868

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 06:17:45 PM

This is well known.  We still support Roger 100% with his support of bitcoin.

All this does is strengthen my association of "ex-con" with living in a police state. It no longer has any automatic negative connotation.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 06:25:39 PM

psy,  I'll still like you no matter how dark your ignore button gets.
EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 06:47:29 PM

All this does is strengthen my association of "ex-con" with living in a police state. It no longer has any automatic negative connotation.

Exactly. According to this post of him, Roger apparently provoked the wrong people, and got sent to jail for a non-crime that normally is not actually punished.

It's crypto-totalitarianism. Everyone is a potential "criminal". Provoke the wrong people, and they may literally destroy your life.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2012, 06:53:24 PM

He purchased approximately 49 pounds of the devices from a supplier in South Carolina, and sold at least 14 pounds of the devices to bidders on eBay.

And each one has 1 gram of "explosives" in it? (per the "fireworks link") and probably weighs 50-100 grams in total?

I am pretty sure I legally bought "devices" like that for the fourth of July when I was fourteen years old.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
thebaron

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 07:00:11 PM

OMG HE BROKE VICTIMLESS CRIME LAWS WHAT A TRAGEDY
jwzguy

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 07:01:06 PM

Exactly. According to this post of him, Roger apparently provoked the wrong people, and got sent to jail for a non-crime that normally is not actually punished.

It's crypto-totalitarianism. Everyone is a potential "criminal". Provoke the wrong people, and they may literally destroy your life.
This exact same thing happened to a friend of mine's dad. He ran for state political office and they threatened to destroy his life if he didn't quit the race. When he didn't, they trumped up some absolute garbage about how the insurance company he owned sent some business paperwork with mistakes in it through the mail, constituting mail fraud. He spent 10 years in jail. The case was complete nonsense, his business was the very clean, and everyone involved knew it. Our "justice" system is a joke.
thebaron

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 07:13:18 PM

Looks like he made the mistake of not operating under a government created fiction called a corporation. The people who they should have prosecuted got away with just stopping sales of the product:

http://amarillo.com/stories/2003/01/18/usn_missouricom.shtml
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 07:25:20 PM
Merited by JimboToronto (1)

It would seem that conviction speaks louder against the US Govt than against Mr. Ver.

I found the original post particularly offensive.  

MOE-PR - You should change that subject line too.

What exactly is your problem?

westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 07:31:50 PM

This exact same thing happened to a friend of mine's dad. He ran for state political office and they threatened to destroy his life if he didn't quit the race. When he didn't, they trumped up some absolute garbage about how the insurance company he owned sent some business paperwork with mistakes in it through the mail, constituting mail fraud. He spent 10 years in jail. The case was complete nonsense, his business was the very clean, and everyone involved knew it. Our "justice" system is a joke.

That's insane.

Every day I feel less bad about wanting an economic collapse to come about and smash this system, and to ruin those sorts who depend on it and use it to enact such injustice.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
jwzguy

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 07:53:16 PM

That's insane.

Every day I feel less bad about wanting an economic collapse to come about and smash this system, and to ruin those sorts who depend on it and use it to enact such injustice.

It was completely insane. I have to fix my earlier statements though - it's been over a decade since I discussed this with my friend. He got 6 years + 3 years supervised release. He was not charged with mail fraud, but "conspiracy to commit mail fraud" - and there weren't any actual mistakes -  it was supposedly about his business solvency - but his business was solvent the entire time. They railroaded him and destroyed his life.

It's really scary to think about how easily it could happen to any of us, if someone with pull chooses to make it happen. Scary and infuriating.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 08:13:50 PM

This is totally OFF-TOPIC

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 08:24:25 PM

I vote to move this thread to the trash can and theymos, I'd gladly take GOAT back if you ban this FUD mongerer MOE-PR
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 08:41:23 PM

I vote to move this thread to the trash can and theymos, I'd gladly take GOAT back if you ban this FUD mongerer MOE-PR

Dude, seriously, who the fuck are you again? I must have missed the moment when you did something I should care about. Or at least remember or something.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 08:57:07 PM
Last edit: October 30, 2012, 01:20:26 AM by Maged

Dude, seriously, who the fuck are you again? I must have missed the moment when you did something I should care about. Or at least remember or something.

I'm nobody. I just find you annoying. Sorry.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: