Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:41:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What INTEL CPU socket type do you use.
Bah move to AMD, it's better
I am still on 775 or older!
I use 1150
I use 1155/1156
I use 1366
I am on the 2011
I use a duel/quad CPU mobo or xenon or server option.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Time for a CPU upgrade, is 2011 worth it?  (Read 423 times)
squall1066 (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1032

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 08:14:28 AM

My system is long overdue an upgrade, I built it over two years ago I have the 1155 I3 2100 with a R9 280x, and you know what? it has run everything I needed! 

Well until now, I use MSI AB to check gpu/cpu load and my cpu is not enough for some things. BTW I am a gamer but not the latest releases, I love skyrim/LOTRO/MWO/TF2 etc... so nothing too demanding.

The long and the short of it is, Can I really afford to move to 2011? I hear many games wont use more than four cores? so other than mobo bandwidth on memory/PCI-e, Can I justify the still outrageous prices?

So I am thinking just move to I7 on my 1155? will this last me another 3 years lol
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2015, 09:35:32 AM

i want to play Fallout4 and some other games in high quality so i just bought a new pc with a core i7, 16 GB Ram and a nvidia 970 gpu. that should be enough for the next years  Wink

Oculus could be interesting too in the next years  Cool

paid 1500,- USD

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2015, 09:39:57 AM

Longer than 2 years? Sure, I'd say any modern CPU is worth the upgrade, It was about 5 years before I upgraded my PC finally, I'm going to do it sooner next time.

And LOL LiteCoinGuy I know exactly how you feel, I was sick of having an underpowered and laggy PC so I bought an 8 core AMD CPU 4.0ghz, it's doing very well with all modern games so Fallout 4 should be a breeze. The one thing I will say is the CPU is very vital to having a smooth PC, better to have too much CPU processing power than too little and then upgrade your card later which is easier because you shouldn't need a new motherboard.

Oh and I don't know how much experience the OP has in building computers but for everybody else WHEN BUYING A NEW CPU DO NOT PUT ANY THERMAL PASTE ON IT! THEY SHIP THE CPU WITH THERMAL PASTE ALREADY APPLIED! JUST PLACE IT IN BY ITSELF! IF YOU EVER NEED TO APPLY THERMAL PASTE ONLY PUT A VERY SMALL AMOUNT ON THE CPU!

I had an absolute disaster trying to put on my CPU by myself a second time when I wanted to replace the cooling fan so I just thought I'd point that out lol.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2015, 10:01:44 AM

Obviously the i3 isn't enough these days. It was never designed for gaming though, more like a low end CPU. I don't see why you would need to upgrade to a i7. You can do the same if not more with the right i5 and right cooling. Since you want to play games I'd suggest maybe i5 4th generation. Intel Core i5-4690K ; not even expensive at $235.

i want to play Fallout4 and some other games in high quality
Yes, with a single GPU. That works in standard resolutions (e.g. HD, FHD).

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
bojan92

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 03:44:59 PM

I am still using a 775 CPU, the new 2011 generation is very nice, i am planning to buy a lap top and it would be with some of those CPUs, Their performance is very nice, even if it is an I3 Cpu.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2015, 04:57:58 PM

I am still using a 775 CPU, the new 2011 generation is very nice, i am planning to buy a lap top and it would be with some of those CPUs, Their performance is very nice, even if it is an I3 Cpu.
i3 on a laptop? That's really not a performer, no idea where you got that impression from. That's just low end. If you want the battery to last long then I'd recommend U series. If you want to also have decent performance then go for the newest i7 - U and you should be good. I have that on my laptop and it's perfect (for my current needs).

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
bojan92

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 09:59:48 PM

i3 on a laptop? That's really not a performer, no idea where you got that impression from. That's just low end. If you want the battery to last long then I'd recommend U series. If you want to also have decent performance then go for the newest i7 - U and you should be good. I have that on my laptop and it's perfect (for my current needs).

Thanks for the advice but i7 is just too much for me, i don't have the money to buy it and even if i do have the money i do not need it, i would be satisfied with some middle range i5.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: