Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:39:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rebuilding Damaged ATX EVGA PCI-e cables. Where to get parts in Canada?  (Read 1099 times)
VirosaGITS (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 02:25:38 AM

I have about a dozen of these cables that are burnt or damaged from the same source, this is the worse one;
https://i.imgur.com/2I2b8fW.jpg?1

I plan on cutting the burnt part and re-crimping new connectors on them. To do this i would need to find an inexpensive source of these pin and connectors, something of decent enough quality so they don't become the weak link.

I currently have this tool;
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/251814735843?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And this wire stripper (diff color but seem to be exactly the same thing);
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61S03eg2KxL._SL1000_.jpg

So for clarity;

-What tool do i need to crimp those PCI-e pins if either of the 2 i have won't work?

-Where is a inexpensive place that ship to Canada that i could buy what i need for to rebuild the connectors?

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 03:00:14 AM

I have about a dozen of these cables that are burnt or damaged from the same source, this is the worse one;

I plan on cutting the burnt part and re-crimping new connectors on them. To do this i would need to find an inexpensive source of these pin and connectors, something of decent enough quality so they don't become the weak link.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/251814735843?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So for clarity;

-What tool do i need to crimp those PCI-e pins if either of the 2 i have won't work?

-Where is a inexpensive place that ship to Canada that i could buy what i need for to rebuild the connectors?

What model PSU are you using?  Is it modular where you can get a new cord or do you really need to re-use those cables.  Generally speaking reusing a burnt cable is a bad idea.

What miner did you have it hooked up with that damage happened?
VirosaGITS (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 03:18:03 AM

So for clarity;

What model PSU are you using?  Is it modular where you can get a new cord or do you really need to re-use those cables.  Generally speaking reusing a burnt cable is a bad idea.

What miner did you have it hooked up with that damage happened?

EVGA's G2.

The part that goes into the PSU is mint, only one time out of the 10 times was there any surge back from the shit asic (GAW rebranded Zeus's) connectors darkened that end.

This happen accross 3 PSU, its not the PSU is the shit connectors that came with the ASIC and the replacement i got, they all had bad connection so they would warm up. Over the course of 1.5years they eventually melted the connections.

The bad portion of the wire only extend 1-2cm, cutting the bad part should be a-ok. You can visibly see corrosion up until a part.

Both GAW Falcon's eventually burnt their corresponding connectors.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 03:42:11 AM

I get all my connectors from:  

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g51/c385/list/p1/Connectors-6_Pin_Connectors.html

Be sure to add the pins,they don't come with them in most instances:  

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1789/ele-132/FrozenCPU_ConnectRight_ATX_PCI_EPS_Connector_Pins_-_Female_-_4_Pack.html

They do ship to Canada  Wink

http://www.frozencpu.com/help/h18/Ordering_from_outside_of_the_US.html#99

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
VirosaGITS (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 03:49:18 AM
Last edit: October 18, 2015, 04:03:27 AM by VirosaGITS

It look like they do, however;
USPS First Class International (15-30 days)   $7.99
or
UPS Standard   $19.20

A bit expensive or slow as hell for 14$ of stuff.

Also, they sell 4pack of female pins for 0.3$ or you can get 6 females pins for twice the price, 0.6$ as an option coming with the plastic connectors.

Did i miss something, like they need different connectors or its just a marketing trick?

Its too bad they don't do better prices for bulk orders, i'd be inclined to make my own cables from now on, but they don't seem to be posed for good deals for Canadians, and for the items i checked, they only have "pricing" for 1+, no 10+ or 100+. Sad

Edit:

Also i can't seem to checkout, the shipping estimator doesnt make sense, adding some pins to the connector order make the shipping go up to 70$ which is plain derp. So i tried to see what quote they really give me but at my cart/checkout i can't seem to click anywhere to actually try to place the order.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 04:24:47 AM

or
UPS Standard   $19.20

Also, they sell 4pack of female pins for 0.3$ or you can get 6 females pins for twice the price, 0.6$ as an option coming with the plastic connectors.

Did i miss something, like they need different connectors or its just a marketing trick?

Its too bad they don't do better prices for bulk orders, i'd be inclined to make my own cables from now on, but they don't seem to be posed for good deals for Canadians, and for the items i checked, they only have "pricing" for 1+, no 10+ or 100+. Sad

Edit:

Also i can't seem to checkout, the shipping estimator doesnt make sense, adding some pins to the connector order make the shipping go up to 70$ which is plain derp. So i tried to see what quote they really give me but at my cart/checkout i can't seem to click anywhere to actually try to place the order.

It's nothing against Canadians it just is higher to ship to it for them.  You can get it cheaper if you are willing to wait.  But you will not find fast and cheap I'm afraid unless it's a site in Canada.

I would get the cheap shipping and just wait unless you need it there like now then bite the bullet and pay extra.
VirosaGITS (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 04:29:22 AM

or
UPS Standard   $19.20

Edit:

It's nothing against Canadians it just is higher to ship to it for them.  You can get it cheaper if you are willing to wait.  But you will not find fast and cheap I'm afraid unless it's a site in Canada.

I would get the cheap shipping and just wait unless you need it there like now then bite the bullet and pay extra.

Yeah but the cheap shipping disappear the second you add any significant amount of items to the carts. And it doesnt actually seem possible to check out, not sure if the site is bugged or what, but 50$ for slow shipping for 20 connectors and 120pins is insane.

It really goes from 8$ shipping to minimum 30$ the second i added 60 pins to the 10 initial connector. It would be cheaper to buy them separately, but the quote system and the whole checkout system seem bugged out.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 04:44:09 AM

I'd be happy to buy em for ya & ship em to ya via USPS (preferred as its easier) or UPS or whatever  Grin

5 of these= $5  60 pins= $4.50  total=$9.50  Priority USPS (2-3 days) is $8.00 (to me) so $17.51.Then to ship to you $$$ Huh

Shipping to me:

PM me some shipping info for you & I'll see if I can save ya some cash  Cool

Maybe not time though  Sad

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 1838

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 04:49:08 AM

If you're needing standard 6-pin PCIe and the crimp pins for 'em, heck I got that. I can sell you 30 cables worth, drop it in a flat-rate priority box and ship it to Canada for $30 total.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 04:55:43 AM

There's a deal !!!  Cheesy

Finksy
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 05:06:06 AM

You can get straight PCIe cables from Klondike_Bar or myself here in Canada. You could just splice them on, they are 16awg and as high of quality than what ships on pretty much any ATX PSU.

IBM 2880W PSU Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135 IBM 4K PSU Breakout Boards & Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296 
Server PSU-powered GPU rig solutions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864539  Wallet address: 1GWQYCv22cAikgTgT1zFuAmsJ9fFqq9TXf 
VirosaGITS (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 05:18:16 AM

I'd be happy to buy em for ya & ship em to ya via USPS (preferred as its easier) or UPS or whatever  Grin

5 of these= $5  60 pins= $4.50  total=$9.50  Priority USPS (2-3 days) is $8.00 (to me) so $17.51.Then to ship to you $$$ Huh

Shipping to me:

https://i.imgur.com/gFzCIdR.jpg

PM me some shipping info for you & I'll see if I can save ya some cash  Cool

Maybe not time though  Sad

Thanks for your kind offer, but as you already saw, Sidehack is offering me a nice deal.

However, where do you click when you,re on that page to check out?

If you're needing standard 6-pin PCIe and the crimp pins for 'em, heck I got that. I can sell you 30 cables worth, drop it in a flat-rate priority box and ship it to Canada for $30 total.

Um, yeah, i'm interested, considering we're talking about fixing all my cables + fix all my PCI-e cables problem for a long time by making more, for a fraction of what a set of these cost from retailers or EVGA's own website.

I'd take the offer strait away, but its Sunday, so meanwhile i'm wondering if there's anything else i'd want to buy from you. Dont suppose you have some huskless working S3's you'd want to part with for cheap huh? Maybe some S1's fan lying around (JDH1238B)? A working S5 blade? Something you might actually have; Long S5 cables 18pins(I'd take 2* 16 pins too)?

Okay okay i get you're not a one stop shop but i figured i'd ask. Anything under 0.15$/GH even at S3~ efficiency is very good for me.

Whatever your answer is, worse case scenario drop me the Quote in PM with a BTC address to send the money to and i'll fill it before Monday. And drop me your address too if you want, i'd like to know what it would cost me to ship you the dead S5 blade, just trying to find more atm.

Just one thing i need to know, what is the tool i need to crimp those female PCI-e pins?

You can get straight PCIe cables from Klondike_Bar or myself here in Canada. You could just splice them on, they are 16awg and as high of quality than what ships on pretty much any ATX PSU.

I believe i asked you for a quote for the long 18pins cable today, but no reply popped on my watchlist. I think i asked if you had a page with a list of everything you have and the pricing scheme for them. Do you have one?

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 07:11:31 AM

I just added to cart & hit the checkout button in the righthand corner,then put my zip in to figure shipping.

Sidehacks offer is GREAT,I'd take it in a heartbeat too  Grin

BTW,I went looking thru my stuff & found 7 of those connectors & 39 pins I had left from my Klondike days.I also have a bunch of PCIE splitter cables I made that I don't need anymore.

The crimper I use I can't find online now,but it is for 20-28 AWG.It's small & red.

If things don't workout with Sidehack,let me know Wink

sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 1838

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 01:44:42 PM

I do actually have a working S5 blade, but it's a 16-pin and all I have hare 18-pin controllers so I haven't done anything past test it. Unfortunately it's larger than the box I'd use, which is a standard flat-rate size. I could rebid shipping with a different package. The next size up in standard flat-rate boxes is about $45 (instead of $22) and it's big enough to fit three of my 750W PSU kits in it so that'd easily hold an S5 blade and a bunch of other stuff. I also have some S[odd] fans but they go with all my S[odd] heatsinks and I want to use them for stuff someday.

I don't know what tool you'll want to use for the crimp pins. The one I have is pretty high-dollar but it's built to be used a little more thoroughly than the $20 pliers-types you get off eBay. We've only made about ten thousand cables and the cheapies wouldn't cut that mustard but for a couple dozen 'bout anything should work.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
VirosaGITS (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 10:13:59 PM

Meanwhile, this only leave obtaining the tool i need. It look like i can get the tool for 9USD shipped from ebay, but i'd be likely to get it in time for Christmas. So if anyone know where online i could get on from a seller already in NA for up to 15USD~, i would like to know. Ironically, i can't find it on Home depot's website.

If not, then thanks you for everyone who participated in this thread. I may very well post the results later on. Smiley

I do actually have a working S5 blade, but it's a 16-pin and all I have hare 18-pin controllers so I haven't done anything past test it. Unfortunately it's larger than the box I'd use, which is a standard flat-rate size. I could rebid shipping with a different package. The next size up in standard flat-rate boxes is about $45 (instead of $22) and it's big enough to fit three of my 750W PSU kits in it so that'd easily hold an S5 blade and a bunch of other stuff. I also have some S[odd] fans but they go with all my S[odd] heatsinks and I want to use them for stuff someday.

I don't know what tool you'll want to use for the crimp pins. The one I have is pretty high-dollar but it's built to be used a little more thoroughly than the $20 pliers-types you get off eBay. We've only made about ten thousand cables and the cheapies wouldn't cut that mustard but for a couple dozen 'bout anything should work.

Understood. Let see what kind of agreement we can come to, but this portion will be continued in PM lest this become a marketplace thread.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀