Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:28:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sockpuppet-Detection Algorithms  (Read 1995 times)
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 05:48:53 AM

I think this is similar to the security concerns that surround Open Source software. Sure, proprietary companies keep their source a secret, but when it's open source, the community can push out a fix instead of waiting for the company to do it. Not to mention everyone can improve upon it.
Yep, everyone can improve upon it Cheesy  including the perpetrator!

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 05:50:24 AM

Can someone find my alternate profiles?

And no, Atlas is not my alter-ego!

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
helloworld (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 06:33:29 AM

Can someone find my alternate profiles?

Keep in mind most of us only have access to half the data (what's public).

The other data set would be stuff like IP addresses, access logs (which pages were viewed, which links were clicked, and at what time, etc).
helloworld (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 06:42:41 AM

I think this is similar to the security concerns that surround Open Source software. Sure, proprietary companies keep their source a secret, but when it's open source, the community can push out a fix instead of waiting for the company to do it. Not to mention everyone can improve upon it.
Yep, everyone can improve upon it Cheesy  including the perpetrator!

But that's the same for forensic science. A perpetrator could spend years studying police investigation methods in order to fool them or evade detection and they may well be successful, but the other 99.99% of perpetrators won't spend years studying this, and will get caught out.

Likewise, the publishing of every known sockpuppetry detection method would only affect the minority of puppet masters that choose to study first and become experts at fooling the algorithms. I'm guessing that would be a very small minority as most wouldn't take the time to do this.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: