Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:08:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Usernames of those who stalk my profile  (Read 1434 times)
erikalui (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2015, 06:01:14 PM

I would like to have a feature wherein a user can check the usernames of those who have visited the user's profile for a week. This is because there have been incidents wherein users have tried to stalk profiles and impersonate them. If this feature is available, the user would get to know if he's being stalked by any suspicious user. This feature is present in other forums as well and hence it wouldn't be tough to implement it in the new forum as well.

If this feature has been suggested by another user earlier, I'll delete this thread.

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6090

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 06:08:59 PM

I support the idea and indeed this feature is available on a lot of forums and it would be nice if it gets added on bitcointalk . However I never heard of any kind of incident and I don't get how this feature will help stopping that either ... I mean yes there is people impersonate other users or even moderators and admins but not sure how this will help ... If I visit your profile and you will know , then what ? I can use any other account and you won't know that it's me .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
erikalui (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2015, 06:28:32 PM

I support the idea and indeed this feature is available on a lot of forums and it would be nice if it gets added on bitcointalk . However I never heard of any kind of incident and I don't get how this feature will help stopping that either ... I mean yes there is people impersonate other users or even moderators and admins but not sure how this will help ... If I visit your profile and you will know , then what ? I can use any other account and you won't know that it's me .

If a user visits your profile with an account I am aware of and then he tries to impersonate me, I can trace him then. Usually people stalk profiles with their real accounts to check the style of posting and learn about the person and then create an alt to impersonate them. It can also happen that a person uses an alt for this purpose but chances are 50-50. It's always helpful to know who's stalking you.

TheGr33k

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 06:36:08 PM

I support this ideas for this simple sake of feature. I do not see is feasibly stopping any security breaches, but I do think it would be a neat feature to have.
onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 06:38:59 PM

if i would be interested in your profile and this feature is implemented i'd just not login before i visit it.
if thats forbidden i'd create an newbie-alt and use that.

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
TheGr33k

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 06:43:18 PM

if i would be interested in your profile and this feature is implemented i'd just not login before i visit it.
if thats forbidden i'd create an newbie-alt and use that.

This is what I was getting at in my post. I do not think that it would actually prevent any security breaches because it would be the easiest work-around ever.
I do  think it might just be a pleasant feature for the community to see who's been interested in them recently.
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 06:48:57 PM

But user profiles are public, you can view them while not logged in. Am I missing something?
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 3408

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2015, 07:00:39 PM

But user profiles are public, you can view them while not logged in. Am I missing something?
Perhaps something can be done regarding users profile being open to the viewing of the public in this case and can be viewed only when the person is logged in so this way upon checking someone's profile, their names could be under a tab (let say stalker tab maybe) and as result anyone will have an idea of who are their stalkers at least

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
erikalui (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2015, 07:10:23 PM

I just checked it and this needs to be modified in the new forum. People shouldn't be able to access users profile while not being logged in.

onemorexmr

Activity: 252

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 07:12:16 PM

I just checked it and this needs to be modified in the new forum. People shouldn't be able to access users profile while not being logged in.

why?
if its forbidden it would just lead to more zero post newbie accounts created for that purpose

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
tmfp
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1737

"Common rogue from Russia with a bare ass."

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 07:16:17 PM

If a user visits yourmy profile with an account I am aware of and then he tries to impersonate me, I can trace him then. Usually people stalk profiles with their real accounts to check the style of posting and learn about the person and then create an alt to impersonate them.
my s/t edit

Does this happen very often?
When I read a comment from a new user that piques my interest, I look at their profile to see their posting history, quite innocently.
To think I might then be included on a "stalkers" list and, should anything happen in the future, be on a shortlist of suspects, makes me uneasy.
Surely anyone contemplating "cloning" you would be sufficiently motivated to cover their tracks by the simple expedient of using a throwaway alt for research.

An emphatic 'no' from me. (Does that put me on a 'potential suspects' list?)

PS
I don't disagree about profiles being made unavailable to non signed in browsers, slighly contradictory though that may sound.  

Extraordinary Claims require Extraordinary Evidence
frank0929

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 07:28:01 PM

People can hide if they check your profile without logging in to the site or using alt account. There's no use for this anyway.
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 07:28:38 PM

impersonation shouldn't be that big of a problem anymore because of the PM warning.
and someone can always make one "stalker" account for each target to minimize suspicion.
bitcoin revo
Legendary

Activity: 1168
Merit: 1049

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 11:06:24 PM

IMO, this feature is not necessary. Just because TradeFortress views my profile doesn't mean that he's going to impersonate me. Likewise, just because a certain user checks out your profile page doesn't mean zip. In addition to that, there are plenty of reasons that a "suspicious user" would check out a profile page. Many people use a negative-repped account as normal (ex. QS); if they were simply checking out your trade rating to see if they wanted to trade with you or not, would that mean that you would assume that they were "stalking" you?
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2015, 07:38:04 AM

Not useful and easily worked around, don't even see the best case scenario use for it.

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 11:15:35 PM

I would like to have a feature wherein a user can check the usernames of those who have visited the user's profile for a week. This is because there have been incidents wherein users have tried to stalk profiles and impersonate them. If this feature is available, the user would get to know if he's being stalked by any suspicious user. This feature is present in other forums as well and hence it wouldn't be tough to implement it in the new forum as well.

It seems like a reasonable suggestion, I'll support a recently visited option like those on linkedin for profile views, not for the purpose of stalking as the op suggested but just to see who is interested in you. (That is the best use scenario as far as I can tell for a profile tracker)
Sounds simple enough to integrate and keep track of who is watching who and visiting their pages.
(Cough mod watch Tongue)

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: