Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:51:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... 764 »
  Print  
Author Topic: IOTA  (Read 1471694 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 01:56:23 PM

So I would ask, why aren't you buying more?

You don't know if I already bought or waiting for the 3rd of Dec.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitcoinForumator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 02:00:56 PM

Ofcourse I don't know. Will see how low or high the number will be by then.
rlh

Activity: 804
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 02:01:14 PM

So I would ask, why aren't you buying more?

You don't know if I already bought or waiting for the 3rd of Dec.

Yes, I suspect that many will wait closer to the end of the sale so they can make an educated guess as to how much they will need to spend to get the 1, 5 or 10% (!!!) they may desire.

Also, this isn't an accusation, but with any bitcoin/crypto related ICO (or token sale,) you never know if the makers have made stealth purchases since transactions can be anonymous.  Who knows if CfB, iotatoken, or any other unknown insider has already deposited 100BTC, from 10 different accounts.

Again, this isn't an accusation but since this is anonymous, you pretty much can only vouch for the shares you've purchased yourself, or shares purchased with fund coming from from known, public BTC/Nxt accounts.

A Personal Quote on BTT from 2011:
"I'd be willing to make a moderate "investment" if the value of the BTC went below $2.00.  Otherwise I'll just have to live with my 5 BTC and be happy. :/"  ...sigh.  If only I knew.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 02:02:07 PM

For me it would a little bit a conflict of interest if the founders will invest a lot. Example, imagine the founders are just CfB and iotatoken. So the Bitcoin-Pott at the very end will get halved. 50% for CfB 50% for iototoken. Imagine now the average joe will invest overall 500 Bitcoin during the sale. And CfB and iototoken just decide to invest 2000 Bitcoin each. So Overall Investment 4’500 Bitcoin. CfB and iotatoken will controll 88% of all iota and the Bitcoin they invested the would get anyway back. Possible. So I think it would help if both are quite open about their own investments, because it’s somehow left pocket – right pocket, they don’t have really costs, if they throw something in the Bitcoinbasket – it’s anyway theirs.

Valid point. All that you can do is to ask others to reveal their transactions and you will get upper bound for amount put by me and iotatoken.
rlh

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 02:02:32 PM

CfB, can you post the Java code to github for address creation?  Some of us would like to go ahead and get our vanity addresses locked and loaded before the coin release. Wink

"I'd be willing to make a moderate "investment" if the value of the BTC went below $2.00.  Otherwise I'll just have to live with my 5 BTC and be happy. :/"  ...sigh.  If only I knew.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 02:05:13 PM

CfB, can you post the Java code to github for address creation?  Some of us would like to go ahead and get our vanity addresses locked and loaded before the coin release. Wink

The code is too small to bother with Github - http://188.138.57.93/atoi.java

Code:
import com.sun.net.httpserver.HttpServer;

import java.io.OutputStream;
import java.net.InetSocketAddress;
import java.util.Arrays;

public class atoi {

private static final int[] INDICES = new int[729];
    private static final int[] F = {0, -1, 1, 0, 1, -1, -1, 1, 0};
    private static final String tryteLetters = "9abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz";
    private static final int[][] tryteTrits = {

{0, 0, 0},
            {1, 0, 0},
            {-1, 1, 0},
            {0, 1, 0},
            {1, 1, 0},
            {-1, -1, 1},
            {0, -1, 1},
            {1, -1, 1},
            {-1, 0, 1},
            {0, 0, 1},
            {1, 0, 1},
            {-1, 1, 1},
            {0, 1, 1},
            {1, 1, 1},
            {-1, -1, -1},
            {0, -1, -1},
            {1, -1, -1},
            {-1, 0, -1},
            {0, 0, -1},
            {1, 0, -1},
            {-1, 1, -1},
            {0, 1, -1},
            {1, 1, -1},
            {-1, -1, 0},
            {0, -1, 0},
            {1, -1, 0},
            {-1, 0, 0}
    };

static {

int index = 0;
        for (int i = 0; i < 729; i++) {

INDICES[i] = index += index <= 364 ? 364 : -365;
        }
    }

private static int[] digest(final int[] message) {

final int[] state = new int[729];
        System.arraycopy(message, 0, state, 0, message.length);
        transform(state);

return Arrays.copyOf(state, 243);
    }

private static void transform(final int[] state) {

final int[] leftPart = new int[729], rightPart = new int[729];
        int index = 0;
        for (int round = 9; round-- > 0; ) {

final int a, b;
                leftPart[i] = f(a = state[index], b = state[index = INDICES[i]]);
                rightPart[i] = f(b, a);
            }

state[i] = f(leftPart[index], rightPart[index = INDICES[i]]);
            }
        }
    }

private static int f(final int a, final int b) {

return F[a + a + a + b + 4];
    }

public static void main(final String[] args) throws Exception {

final HttpServer server = HttpServer.create(new InetSocketAddress(9999), 0);
        server.createContext("/", (exchange) -> {

// Fetch lowercase latin letters and '9' from the request into a seed
            final StringBuilder seed = new StringBuilder();
            for (final char tryteLetter : exchange.getRequestURI().getPath().toCharArray()) {

if (tryteLetters.indexOf(tryteLetter) >= 0) {

seed.append(tryteLetter);
                }
            }

// Check if there are exactly 81 chars in the seed
            final String response;
            if (seed.length() != 81) {

// Inform the user that something is wrong with their seed
                response = "Seed length is " + seed.length() + ", must be 81!";

} else {

// Translate the seed chars into trits
                int[] seedTrits = new int[243];
                int offset = 0;
                for (final char tryteLetter : seed.toString().toCharArray()) {

System.arraycopy(tryteTrits[tryteLetters.indexOf(tryteLetter)], 0, seedTrits, offset, 3);
                    offset += 3;
                }

// Derive private key fragments from the seed
                final int[][] key = new int[27][];
                final int[] scratchpad = new int[seedTrits.length];
                for (int i = 0; i < key.length; i++) {

System.arraycopy(i == 0 ? seedTrits : key[i - 1], 0, scratchpad, 0, scratchpad.length);
                    key[i] = digest(scratchpad);
                }

// Truncate the private key fragments to 81 trits each

key[i] = Arrays.copyOf(key[i], 81);
                }

// Derive public key fragments from the private key fragments, keep them truncated to 81 trits each

for (int j = 0; j < 27; j++) {

key[i] = Arrays.copyOf(digest(key[i]), 81);
                    }
                }

// Derive a public key from the public key fragments
                final int[] state = new int[729];
                for (int i = 0; i < key.length; ) {

System.arraycopy(key[i++], 0, state, 0, 81);
                    System.arraycopy(key[i++], 0, state, 81, 81);
                    System.arraycopy(key[i++], 0, state, 162, 81);
                    transform(state);
                }

// Negate the trits of the seed
                for (int i = 0; i < seedTrits.length; i++) {

seedTrits[i] = -seedTrits[i];
                }

// Derive a checkpointing key from the seed
                for (int i = 0; i < 12 * 24 * 366; i++) {

seedTrits = digest(seedTrits);
                }

// Translate the keys into text
                final StringBuilder publicKey = new StringBuilder(), checkpointingKey = new StringBuilder();
                for (int i = 0; i < 243; i += 3) {

int tryteValue = state[i] + state[i + 1] * 3 + state[i + 2] * 9;
                    if (tryteValue < 0) {

tryteValue += 27;
                    }
                    publicKey.append(tryteLetters.charAt(tryteValue));

tryteValue = seedTrits[i] + seedTrits[i + 1] * 3 + seedTrits[i + 2] * 9;
                    if (tryteValue < 0) {

tryteValue += 27;
                    }
                    checkpointingKey.append(tryteLetters.charAt(tryteValue));
                }

// Output the keys in a format suitable for copy-pasting
                response = (publicKey.toString() + "_" + checkpointingKey.toString()).toUpperCase();
            }

// Send the response
            exchange.sendResponseHeaders(200, response.length());
            final OutputStream outputStream = exchange.getResponseBody();
            outputStream.write(response.getBytes("UTF-8"));
            outputStream.close();
        });
        server.start();
    }
}
rlh

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 02:06:40 PM

Thank you!

EDIT

I'll play around with this today and see what I can do.  Also, if I write a Vanitygen, I'll see about translating this code to C#.  Why?  For two reasons, it's been my experience that (well written) C# tends to run faster than Java.  Hey, not trying to start a trolling bear fight, it's just my experience.

And, second, I have over 10 years experience in C# since it's the language of most businesses.  I'm way more familiar with it than anything else, which even I find unfortunate.

If I come up with anything useful, I'll post the project to Github.

Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 02:14:59 PM

Thank you!

EDIT

I'll play around with this today and see what I can do.  Also, if I write a Vanitygen, I'll see about translating this code to C#.  Why?  For two reasons, it's been my experience that (well written) C# tends to run faster than Java.  Hey, not trying to start a trolling bear fight, it's just my experience.

And, second, I have over 10 years experience in C# since it's the language of most businesses.  I'm way more familiar with it than anything else, which even I find unfortunate.

If I come up with anything useful, I'll post the project to Github.

Interesting. C# being faster likely means that its JIT compiler is better...

Vanitygen should take into account that a single account should be used as fewer times as possible, preferably only once. It's a side-effect of lazy users penalty.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 02:24:13 PM

I have just recalled, in the release version 81 char address will be appended with 9 chars of the checksum (to detect mistyped addresses).
rlh

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 02:24:50 PM

Vanitygen should take into account that a single account should be used as fewer times as possible, preferably only once. It's a side-effect of lazy users penalty.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand this last statement.  Are you saying that accounts shouldn't be used more than a few times?  In other words, putting an IOTA address in my sig would be a bad idea?  I'd like a bit of clarification so that I understand.

Regarding that C# comment, let me clarify.  It's been my experience than when writing these types of functions in C# vs. Java, C# tends to do  better on Windows machine or even running in a solid Windows VM.  I've not tested .Net apps running in Mono.  I know mono is slower by a considerable factor and in such a case, Java may do MUCH better.

However, concerning the vanitygens I've written, vs. those written in Java, where special dlls (i.e. referencing GPUs or low-level C libraries) are not used, C# has done much better.

I assume this is because Microsoft has greater control of the eco-system and can optimize their jitter to work primarily with their os/kernal, where Oracle is a 3rd party, having to optimize their jitter to work for all environments.

Just a hunch.

Anyway, I've been rolling around in my head, finishing what the old Microcash (lol, I know right!) dreamt up but never saw finished because the head of that ship was... well, I try not to speak ill of anyone, but everyone remembers how CoinHunter/RealSolid was.

Anyway, if I write a coin, it will be in C#.  I like it and no one else (to my knowledge) has done it, so it would be an interesting experience.  Alas, if I'm ever going to do that, I first need to invent a way to add about 4 hours to the average day. Tongue

rlh

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 02:26:29 PM

I have just recalled, in the release version 81 char address will be appended with 9 chars of the checksum (to detect mistyped addresses).

Ok, that makes sense.  So your old, address/pubkey creator is broken/not completely correct?

Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 02:50:25 PM

Ok, that makes sense.  So your old, address/pubkey creator is broken/not completely correct?

It's correct, we don't need checksum for the sale.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 02:59:41 PM

Are you saying that accounts shouldn't be used more than a few times?  In other words, putting an IOTA address in my sig would be a bad idea?

There are no accounts in Iota, it uses Bitcoin's system of inputs/outputs. You can put Iota address into the sig but it will take some time to spend every input. More inputs - more time, this grows exponentially. Iota was designed for IoT, not humans, so some methods used by humans are not very compatible.

Bitcoin would have the same problem if it used the same security enhancement. While Bitcoin doesn't recommend to reuse addresses, Iota goes further and makes it unprofitable by requiring to burn extra electricity.
iotatoken

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 09:42:23 PM

For me it would a little bit a conflict of interest if the founders will invest a lot. Example, imagine the founders are just CfB and iotatoken. So the Bitcoin-Pott at the very end will get halved. 50% for CfB 50% for iototoken. Imagine now the average joe will invest overall 500 Bitcoin during the sale. And CfB and iototoken just decide to invest 2000 Bitcoin each. So Overall Investment 4’500 Bitcoin. CfB and iotatoken will controll 88% of all iota and the Bitcoin they invested the would get anyway back. Possible. So I think it would help if both are quite open about their own investments, because it’s somehow left pocket – right pocket, they don’t have really costs, if they throw something in the Bitcoinbasket – it’s anyway theirs.

This will not happen, for several reasons

We are running a hardware start-up that is developing a new kind of processor for Internet-of-Things, this is what inspired IOTA more than anything. A good portion of the funds raised for IOTA will go to this processor, which will also act as a bootstrapping mechanism for the IOTA network as it scales.

It would be a really stupid strategy. We'll all make infinitely more if IOTA succeeds and gets adopted as a IoT standard even with just a sliver of the tokens than we'd do if we ran a typical pump and dump scheme

We're not just the two of us, we also got another team member and math professor on board (Mtchl). I know he bought some because he told me in a casual comment, none of us has made any effort to inquire amongst each other how much the others will buy, it's a personal decision that does not affect the project in any way.

I was undoubtedly the biggest and most vocal critic of the initial distribution of Nxt, so I would never allow our project to be stifled by bad distribution.

As for how much I will personally buy: not sure yet, still waiting for the last day of pioneer to make the choice. I treat this choice as completley seperate from the project it self.

windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 08:13:24 AM

Are you saying that accounts shouldn't be used more than a few times?  In other words, putting an IOTA address in my sig would be a bad idea?

There are no accounts in Iota, it uses Bitcoin's system of inputs/outputs. You can put Iota address into the sig but it will take some time to spend every input. More inputs - more time, this grows exponentially. Iota was designed for IoT, not humans, so some methods used by humans are not very compatible.

Bitcoin would have the same problem if it used the same security enhancement. While Bitcoin doesn't recommend to reuse addresses, Iota goes further and makes it unprofitable by requiring to burn extra electricity.

CFB. I am curious about what your personal end game is. You were once a pioneer in NXT yet choose to leave it when some might argue it needed you most.

Then you started Jinn, raised a market cap of over $10 million at one point and I am not sure whether you left that project or not. I just know there have been a lot of promises made with Jinn but I am not sure about the progress.

Now its Iota.  What is your commitment to this project?
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 09:39:51 AM

@DecentralizeEconomics, your posts have been deleted for violation of the rules of this thread.

@superresistant, I deleted your post because it quoted DecentralizeEconomics' one. There was no EDIT option, sorry.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 09:46:04 AM

CFB. I am curious about what your personal end game is. You were once a pioneer in NXT yet choose to leave it when some might argue it needed you most.

Then you started Jinn, raised a market cap of over $10 million at one point and I am not sure whether you left that project or not. I just know there have been a lot of promises made with Jinn but I am not sure about the progress.

Now its Iota.  What is your commitment to this project?

I'm still working on Jinn. Iota is needed for efficient functioning of Jinn-powered devices (as backbone of IoT economy).
bitcatch

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 10:28:01 AM

As for how much I will personally buy: not sure yet, still waiting for the last day of pioneer to make the choice. I treat this choice as completley seperate from the project it self.
Doesn't matter how much of their own token founders buy at an IPO, it is cheating anyway. The more the founders cheat, the greater the impact will be. NXT IPO btw probably was free of that, otherwise their IPO would collect more funds.
It's perfectly OK however if the founders buy their token after the IPO.
Espo

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 10:56:09 AM

will it be possible that other manufacturer than JINN can use IOTA ?
Or will IOTA only success if JINN success?
iotatoken

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 11:16:13 AM

will it be possible that other manufacturer than JINN can use IOTA ?
Or will IOTA only success if JINN success?

They are independent of each other. IOTA can be used on all hardware, JINN is simply optimised.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... 764 »
  Print  

Jump to: