Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:18:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Very new to mining, I could use some technical advice/help on rig construction  (Read 1347 times)
JoeVicious (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 12:48:05 PM

I am currently attending a vocational school for computer information systems, and for my senior project this year I elected to do a project on Bitcoin. Did very well on my paper but now that I have to build an actual rig, I've run into a bit of a problem I was hoping someone could help me with. I have a general understanding of how mining rigs are constructed and how they operate, but every page on the internet I've found describes how to build the most efficient and up-to-date mining rig possible, often including a very expensive parts list. For my project my rig doesn't even need to be financially viable, it just needs to function on some level. Because I'm paying for everything myself, I'm just wondering what would be one of the cheapest ways to build a (functioning) bitcoin mining rig? Not looking for anyone to hold my hand through the process, just maybe an idea or two on how I could go about this.

Thanks,
   -Joe

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1847

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 02:26:41 PM

If you want a rig for bitcoin mining which anyone would have run in the last two years or so, you'll be looking at PCB design and ASICs. I doubt that's covered under "computer information systems", so you're probably looking for a GPU rig. Current information on GPU rigs has more to do with altcoin mining and other parallel-processing tasks, so probably looking in altcoin forums for assistance with the hardware will serve you better.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2015, 03:11:34 PM

You need to define what you mean by mining rig.  Heck, you grab a simple USB miner (sidehack sells his own) and plug it in to a raspberry pi and call that a Bitcoin miner Smiley.  If you're talking about building from scratch... well, that seems to be a bit over the top.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
armedmilitia

Activity: 562
Merit: 506

We're going to need a bigger heatsink.

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2015, 03:23:20 PM

I am currently attending a vocational school for computer information systems, and for my senior project this year I elected to do a project on Bitcoin. Did very well on my paper but now that I have to build an actual rig, I've run into a bit of a problem I was hoping someone could help me with. I have a general understanding of how mining rigs are constructed and how they operate, but every page on the internet I've found describes how to build the most efficient and up-to-date mining rig possible, often including a very expensive parts list. For my project my rig doesn't even need to be financially viable, it just needs to function on some level. Because I'm paying for everything myself, I'm just wondering what would be one of the cheapest ways to build a (functioning) bitcoin mining rig? Not looking for anyone to hold my hand through the process, just maybe an idea or two on how I could go about this.

Thanks,
   -Joe

Where are you located? I can send you an outdated BE USB miner (333mh/s) if you need it. I can sell it to you for ten bucks, or even do it for free if you promise to send it back in a few months when you're done with it! If you want something with a little more juice, I can hook you up with one of sidehacks BM1384 stickminers. They are about 50x faster than the BE USBs, and make ~3.5 cents a day. That's gonna cost a little more though.

You'll need to connect the miner to a computer, install some drivers, and then run mining software on it to control the miner. If you have a raspberry pi that would be best, but you can use a laptop/desktop provided their usb ports are decent. (They need to be able to put out at least 0.5A, which isn't very much if you're only running one stick)

Always use escrow. OgNasty is pretty sweet.

Help me out with compiling a list of mining datacenters!
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 07:35:14 PM

Thanks,
   -Joe

You really cannot truly construct a mining rig.  It's more plug an play. (unless you are a engineer).  Sidehack is right about CIS likely not covering asic rig construction.

If all depends on how serious this project is.  If you can use a RPI and a usb stick and get credit... yes you can do it.  But if building from bottom up not really.  Are you able to share more specifics of project and what it's graded on?
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 07:51:01 AM

Building an altcoin GPU-based rig should be viable - though not cheap unless you couldn't care less about it being profitable.

Dash (ex-Darkcoin) among others is still profitable with GPU-based mining, though the ROI is very very long. if you use Maxwell-based GPU cards like the 750ti or 960/970/980

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 08:44:53 AM

Building an altcoin GPU-based rig should be viable - though not cheap unless you couldn't care less about it being profitable.

Dash (ex-Darkcoin) among others is still profitable with GPU-based mining, though the ROI is very very long. if you use Maxwell-based GPU cards like the 750ti or 960/970/980

I think the main problem is he already selected a project on bitcoin.  Assuming he goes to GPU he could change topic to crypto currency, and make it more broad then bitcoin alone.

He never did anwser on how serious this is. If senior project is assembling he could do a RPI with a few compacs for not to expensive and show BTC mining.  But not sure if building will be considered construction or if he has to design it more then that.
JoeVicious (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 05:49:44 PM

I think the main problem is he already selected a project on bitcoin.  Assuming he goes to GPU he could change topic to crypto currency, and make it more broad then bitcoin alone.

He never did anwser on how serious this is. If senior project is assembling he could do a RPI with a few compacs for not to expensive and show BTC mining.  But not sure if building will be considered construction or if he has to design it more then that.

Sorry for not answering, I read some of the replies then got distracted. I had to write a paper on bitcoin and crypto-currency last year, but along with your paper you need to make a product. I ended up just getting a couple ASIC block erupters and running them on Raspberry Pi (using bfgminer). It seemed to be running ok but my erupters always show a "0.00Mh/s" rate, any idea what could be causing that?
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 06:38:37 PM

Sorry for not answering, I read some of the replies then got distracted. I had to write a paper on bitcoin and crypto-currency last year, but along with your paper you need to make a product. I ended up just getting a couple ASIC block erupters and running them on Raspberry Pi (using bfgminer). It seemed to be running ok but my erupters always show a "0.00Mh/s" rate, any idea what could be causing that?

We would need to know more.  With no MH/s it's like there is no mining. You will need to share your rig setup and commands your using. 

And to be honest it's not really worth it on block erupters.  Buy a compac and upgrade and it will get much more speed on USB then a LOT of block erupters being used together.  8 GH/s or higher depending on setting and if you OC.
firetreeactual
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 07:49:16 PM
Last edit: November 20, 2015, 07:59:38 PM by firetreeactual

Thanks,
   -Joe

I understand what you're doing, as I have taught grad school etc. For demonstration of principle only, you can indeed set up a working hardware "rig" using a PC. It's not going to be something to use for real mining only because the technology has moved so quickly over the past five years or so that it simply won't...even with a monster video card or two, as those are what actually do the "mining"...be worth the electricity it takes to run it. SO...here's what worked for me to accomplish the same purpose:
1. Take a computer...in my case, a Win 10 with a so-so MSI GeForce 230 video card...that has a working network/Internet connection. You DO NOT need to install any other hardware. The computer almost HAS to have a separate video card, however, for the mining software to find it.
2. Download/install the Bitcoin Core client at https://bitcoin.org/en/download.
3. Once the client is installed, go to File and follow the prompts to generate a new receiving address. You'll need that to join a mining pool. Yes, I know that solo mining is so much more exciting...I now have one machine that does only solo...but if you want to have immediate, graphically understandable results to use in presentation, then pool will do that.
4. I downloaded/installed GUIMiner, which relies on CGMiner for the backend, and it found my MSI card device (as well as a later Radeon R9) no problem. I would recommend using this outdated GUI interface because it is simple to install, simple to configure, and simple to use. Ideal for a situation like this, I think. Use this link, because it is the program version that worked for me. There's a newer version, but I don't know if it would perform the same way. http://guiminer.en.softonic.com/
5. Set it up to join Slush's Pool (it's a preset in the servers).
6. Go to Slush's Pool (mining.bitcoin.cz) on the Net and set up an account. Use the default settings. Set a password that you won't forget. You'll need to enter the BTC address you set up in the Core client.
7. In GUIMiner, use the username (probably something like whatyouchose.worker1) and password. Note however, that the password is not critical for the pool. Since your encrypted BTC address is where ANY mining reward from the account you set up would go, no matter who logged in with that worker name from anywhere, they'd simply be mining for you.
8. If you then have everything done, you can click on Start Mining and see the hash rate, shares accepted, etc.
9. You can then log on to Slush's Pool and see rather good graphic representations of the overall picture, and your performance/part in it.

This approach worked for me, and I still use it sitting on the equipment rack plunking away with a Radeon R9 while an S2 and S4 do the real work.  Cool  There are those (including CK himself) who call GUIMiner "outdated"...which it is, by any standard...but if you're totally in the dark about this sort of thing, are allergic to command line, and want to simply show how it works, this is the way I think.

EDIT...forgot to mention...none of this, considering that the PC was already sitting on the desk playing Solitaire and running FB, cost me anything. The only way to do proof of concept for ANYTHING, methinks...

To infinity and beyond...on two 741s and one of only 3...nope, make that 4...full nodes in Hawaii...on <30A. (I have other gear on the Hoth ice planet)
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 08:46:43 PM

Thanks,
   -Joe

(snip)
1. Take a computer...in my case, a Win 10 with a so-so MSI GeForce 230 video card...that has a working network/Internet connection. You DO NOT need to install any other hardware. The computer almost HAS to have a separate video card, however, for the mining software to find it.
(snip)

I think you are missing the part hes using a RPI.  It is much cheaper to run compared a big computer.   Things you mentioned with windows 10 like guiminer and other things just dont equate to RPI.

I would use command line CGMiner and it is not that bad.  If you really are having trouble look into something like minera on RPI, which is much more gui.  And I think if you upgrade from the asic miner sticks to a compac stick you will be happier for not a lot of money.
firetreeactual
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 09:19:13 PM

Thanks,
   -Joe

(snip)
(snip)
I think you are missing the part hes using a RPI.  It is much cheaper to run compared a big computer.   Things you mentioned with windows 10 like guiminer and other things just dont equate to RPI.

I would use command line CGMiner and it is not that bad.  If you really are having trouble look into something like minera on RPI, which is much more gui.  And I think if you upgrade from the asic miner sticks to a compac stick you will be happier for not a lot of money.
Yup...you're right, I missed the bit on the usb erupter. Oops. But I think what I shared is still the only realistic way to demo BTC mining to people who don't have a clue. I've had to do it. I even did it on a higher-end laptop once. Fun. Completely and totally unpractical, but fun...and useful in this limited instance.

To infinity and beyond...on two 741s and one of only 3...nope, make that 4...full nodes in Hawaii...on <30A. (I have other gear on the Hoth ice planet)
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 09:28:09 PM

Thanks,
   -Joe

(snip)
(snip)
I think you are missing the part hes using a RPI.  It is much cheaper to run compared a big computer.   Things you mentioned with windows 10 like guiminer and other things just dont equate to RPI.

I would use command line CGMiner and it is not that bad.  If you really are having trouble look into something like minera on RPI, which is much more gui.  And I think if you upgrade from the asic miner sticks to a compac stick you will be happier for not a lot of money.
Yup...you're right, I missed the bit on the usb erupter. Oops. But I think what I shared is still the only realistic way to demo BTC mining to people who don't have a clue. I've had to do it. I even did it on a higher-end laptop once. Fun. Completely and totally unpractical, but fun...and useful in this limited instance.

If someone has trouble with linux or command line/terminal then yes your right a GUI is easier.   A much more recent thing is to use Minera with a RPI.   I think this is better then GUIminer, it's just quite dated.

Also going to a compac and sitting those block erupter as collector item's is much better option.  Even at just 8 GHs (which it can do more with proper powering) is like running 24 block erupters.  And it's pretty reasonable as far as price.
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 06:00:41 PM

you could even cpu mine with a computer, heck go to nicehash.com and use their mining program for cpu, its easy to use.  if its for demonstration purposes.  I tried it recently to see what it could do with my i7 980x (thats a beast basically), and its 0.10cents a day, minus electricity (lol).  you can also mine other cryptocurrency coins, or even better, create one yourself !  now that would be a cool project.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 01:31:12 AM

you could even cpu mine with a computer, heck go to nicehash.com and use their mining program for cpu, its easy to use.  if its for demonstration purposes.  I tried it recently to see what it could do with my i7 980x (thats a beast basically), and its 0.10cents a day, minus electricity (lol).  you can also mine other cryptocurrency coins, or even better, create one yourself !  now that would be a cool project.

You would run at a loss doing this.  I would suggest spending just a little and getting a lotto machine.  Get a RPI and some USB miner such as compac.  With this setup you are spending very little on electricity and can learn without full PC running just for CPU mining.  CPU mining has been dead for a while as far as profit.

Even on GPU it's not worth pushing it on intensity when you can get a USB in most cases more powerful.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: