Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:07:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are there a large number of nodes near Wichita, Kansas?  (Read 2534 times)
datafish (OP)
Donator

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

Swimming in a sea of data

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 01:48:03 AM

If you go to blockchain.info and click on just about any transaction, then click on the Network Propagation map, you'll find a large number of nodes just outside Wichita.  Any ideas why this is so?  A bitcoin-friendly hosting service?  Conspiracy theories, anyone?
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fancy_pants

Activity: 663
Merit: 501

quarkchain.io

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2012, 03:00:45 AM

If you go to blockchain.info and click on just about any transaction, then click on the Network Propagation map, you'll find a large number of nodes just outside Wichita.  Any ideas why this is so?  A bitcoin-friendly hosting service?  Conspiracy theories, anyone?

having spent a very long 9 months in Wichita,  I'd suggest your candidates are:
- Expat mexican farm workers
- Koch Brothers
- Mennonites
- Air Force
- Scientologists
- Wichita does not dump fluoride in their water
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 04:23:35 AM

Bitcoin nodes generally corresponds to population map. Have you check the population density of this town?

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 04:42:47 AM

Conspiracy theories, anyone?

Geographic center of "U.S" where no location with greater specificity was available?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

fancy_pants

quarkchain.io

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2012, 04:54:39 AM

A quick google search indicates that there is a company in Wichita called Transtecs that has Navy contracts and an office in Wichita.  The TOR network is brought to you by the US Navy.  There is no water in Kansas.  Translation:  Wichita traffic = TOR traffic.
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2012, 08:02:20 AM

A quick google search indicates that there is a company in Wichita called Transtecs that has Navy contracts and an office in Wichita.  The TOR network is brought to you by the US Navy.  There is no water in Kansas.  Translation:  Wichita traffic = TOR traffic.
Yes and the US Navy also has a deep water research facility off the coast of West Africa. They're working on the next gen Tor client where all traffic appears to originate at 0.0.0.0 utilizing HSTP (hyper space transport protocol).

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2012, 04:39:27 PM

Could Google fiber have something to do with it?

https://fiber.google.com/cities/#header=check

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
datafish (OP)
Donator

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

Swimming in a sea of data

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 05:57:15 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2012, 08:58:38 PM by datafish

I'm going with Stephen's explanation.  The U.S. NGS has determined (by balancing a cardboard cutout, your tax dollars hard at work Roll Eyes) that the center of the contiguous U.S. is Lebanon, KS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_center_of_the_contiguous_United_States).  Lebanon is 200 miles northwest of Wichita.  By averaging the extreme latitudes and longitudes of the lower 48 states, I came up with Copan, OK, 135 miles southeast of Wichita, as the center.  Google probably uses a slightly different algorithm.

So it's unlikely the NSA has a secret, underground bunker in rural Kansas where they are logging the originating IP addresses of all transactions.  My guess is they are doing that from Virginia.  Wink
fancy_pants

quarkchain.io

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2012, 04:28:24 AM

I'm going with Stephen's explanation.  The U.S. NGS has determined (by balancing a cardboard cutout, your tax dollars hard at work Roll Eyes) that the center of the contiguous U.S. is Lebanon, KS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_center_of_the_contiguous_United_States).  Lebanon is 200 miles northwest of Wichita.  By averaging the extreme latitudes and longitudes of the lower 48 states, I came up with Copan, OK, 135 miles southeast of Wichita, as the center.  Google probably uses a slightly different algorithm.

So it's unlikely the NSA has a secret, underground bunker in rural Kansas where they are logging the originating IP addresses of all transactions.  My guess is they are doing that from Virginia.  Wink

Yeah, whatever.  I just saw a banner ad from Bold Software on the bitcoincharts site and I think I've figured out why so much bitcoin is flowing through Wichita based servers.
Fact 1: Bold Software is in Wichita.
Fact 2: Bold Software is an online chat provider.
Fact 3: People say and do do things in chat rooms for bitcoin all over the world.

The world's oldest profession seems to me to be a lot simpler than all of that mathematical mumbo jumbo you guys are talking about above.  Cardboard, really?

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2012, 08:42:10 PM

Umm...Wichita Kansas is to Bitcoin what Silicon Valley is to the computer industry.

Buy property there quick because it will all soon cost a lot of BTC!

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Aerosmith

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 07:00:28 AM

Items: There is this state called Colorado next to Kansas.
Some Colorado savings and loans have a cash management problem.
Colorado has this 700 million dollar industry that has recently been deregulated at the state level.

The federal reserve has refused banking services to some organizations in Colorado allegedly
because their business is focused on a business market that has not been completely deregulated
at the federal level.

Bitcoin can help solve these cash management difficulties.

For people from an area that if made to scale is actually flatter than a pancake just the novelty
of Colorado's unique geological scenery make it a fine vacation destination.
I think some people travel through Wichita with an interest in the deregulated business in Colorado.
Before they get to Colorado they buy some Bitcoin.

Cox communications has a regional data center in Oklahoma city. A major spur runs through Wichita.
Then to Dallas TX.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: