Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:04:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin major fail - doesn't allow credit creation (aka deflationary currency)  (Read 22154 times)
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 09:10:58 PM

This leads me to think that it's extremely naive to believe "controlling/steering/regulating" something as complex as the economy of a country or even the world could be successfully accomplished by a group of people, however smart, educated and well-meaning they might be.

I think it could be done if there was some complex emergent system where the better people were at controlling resources the more they were able to control....

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 09:23:41 PM

This leads me to think that it's extremely naive to believe "controlling/steering/regulating" something as complex as the economy of a country or even the world could be successfully accomplished by a group of people, however smart, educated and well-meaning they might be.

Oh, it is. And that's a conclusion any sane person would come to after having read those studies, or possibly even having read of them. But how many politicians read those sorts of things? They don't even read the bills they pass.

What it boils down to is they're either idiots, or evil. I prefer to think of them as idiots, since that allows me to seek a peaceful solution.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 10:07:00 PM

I think it could be done if there was some complex emergent system where the better people were at controlling resources the more they were able to control....

...hmm, something like a market economy based on sound money?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 10:10:22 PM

Nah. That would never work. We need to let the machine elves make all our decisions for us.

..wrong thread? Wink

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 10:36:01 PM

Nah. That would never work. We need to let the machine elves make all our decisions for us.

..wrong thread? Wink

I think this thread should at this point be merged with the "Resource Based Economy" thread Wink

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 11:49:07 PM

..wrong thread? Wink

I think this thread should at this point be merged with the "Resource Based Economy" thread Wink

Entitle the new thread "Moot Points You Should Never Start a Topic About Here because They Have Already Been Debunked Ad Nauseum"

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 06:16:09 AM

It should be noted that I've successfully turned it from a conversation about Zeitgeist Communism into a conversation about Free-market Economics.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 06:53:38 AM

It should be noted that I've successfully turned it from a conversation about Zeitgeist Communism into a conversation about Free-market Economics.

haha! noted.

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 01:05:07 PM

IMO, Fractional Reserve Banking just works like insurance: 99.99% of the time the saving account will not get a withdraw before the contracted deposit time ends. Since these money are dead money before the deposit period ends, banks try to get some use of it by loaning them out, there is nothing wrong

The problem is that they loan these money out to buy a house, instead of investing in some future projects that could possibly generate some return

The return of buying a house is purely dependant on the house value, it is more like a speculation, it is not sustainable. The investment on future projects are more carefully considered by some experienced entrepreneur and are more likely to generate some return

Another problem is that currently there are really less and less investment opportunities, buying a house becomes an outstanding investment opportunity

Loaning out money to people to buy a house is a big deal, it quickly depleted the savings in the bank, and when house price falls, these loans will generate loss, banks have high risk of going bankrupt, currently they could only depend on FED buying their mortgage backed serurities to keep their life, but this situation will not improve until the savings in bank return to normal. During the next 10 years, there will be more and more savings deposit mature, and there will be less saving go into bank, banks have to borrow money from central bank to buy more time

All these has nothing to do with fiat or BTC, in a BTC bank, FRB could also happen, exactly the same

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 02:33:53 PM

If only everybody could be convinced of this conclusion we would have finally caught up to what von Mises figured out in 1920.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_calculation_problem
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2117

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 03:35:41 PM

The return of buying a house is purely dependant on the house value, it is more like a speculation, it is not sustainable. The investment on future projects are more carefully considered by some experienced entrepreneur and are more likely to generate some return

Another problem is that currently there are really less and less investment opportunities, buying a house becomes an outstanding investment opportunity

Loaning out money to people to buy a house is a big deal, it quickly depleted the savings in the bank, and when house price falls, these loans will generate loss, banks have high risk of going bankrupt, currently they could only depend on FED buying their mortgage backed serurities to keep their life, but this situation will not improve until the savings in bank return to normal. During the next 10 years, there will be more and more savings deposit mature, and there will be less saving go into bank, banks have to borrow money from central bank to buy more time

All these has nothing to do with fiat or BTC, in a BTC bank, FRB could also happen, exactly the same

Not true. Your home is not an investment (unless you are a dullard). Your home is the place where you live. You can choose to rent or buy. The return on lending the money for a home does not depend on the value of the property but on the income of the borrower. When I was paying the mortgage on my house, the value could have dropped hugely yet I would have continued to pay. It's the idiots who borrow (and the idiots who lend) more than can afford to be paid back that are the problem.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 03:39:04 PM

As stated before, if there were a market for such instruments they could be done with bitcoin. If you wanted you could even do exotic things like credit default swaps. But who would want such crap.?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 04:34:43 PM

IMO, Fractional Reserve Banking just works like insurance: 99.99% of the time the saving account will not get a withdraw before the contracted deposit time ends. Since these money are dead money before the deposit period ends, banks try to get some use of it by loaning them out, there is nothing wrong

The problem is that they loan these money out to buy a house, instead of investing in some future projects that could possibly generate some return

I don't think so, because: BTC Banks cannot borrow Bitcoin from a central bank to buy more time.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 04:46:20 PM

As stated before, if there were a market for such instruments they could be done with bitcoin. If you wanted you could even do exotic things like credit default swaps. But who would want such crap.?

award for most concise analysis!

johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 08:47:45 PM

I don't think so, because: BTC Banks cannot borrow Bitcoin from a central bank to buy more time.

True, no last lender means they have a bankrun risk, so that they should treat each loan much more carefully. This is by design

johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 08:54:22 PM

Not true. Your home is not an investment (unless you are a dullard). Your home is the place where you live. You can choose to rent or buy. The return on lending the money for a home does not depend on the value of the property but on the income of the borrower. When I was paying the mortgage on my house, the value could have dropped hugely yet I would have continued to pay. It's the idiots who borrow (and the idiots who lend) more than can afford to be paid back that are the problem.

The return on lending the money for a home depend on the FUTURE income of the borrower. In a society that computer and machine continuously replace people and all the low tech work outsourced to other country, how could you make sure the future income is secured for the home buyer? That FUTURE is not one or two months, it is 20 years or more, who can see that far?

Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2117

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 09:32:44 PM

The return on lending the money for a home depend on the FUTURE income of the borrower. In a society that computer and machine continuously replace people and all the low tech work outsourced to other country, how could you make sure the future income is secured for the home buyer? That FUTURE is not one or two months, it is 20 years or more, who can see that far?

Completely true. My point is simply that the return on a house loan is not dependent on the future price of the house.

bobitza (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 256

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 05:33:21 PM

True, no last lender means they have a bankrun risk, so that they should treat each loan much more carefully. This is by design

Exactly. If loans can still theoretically be made and fractional reserve banking and interest can still be part of the loaning process, the fact that there is no last lender and the fact that it is a well know fact that there is a known total maximum amount of coins make banks run risks very high.

I still have a question on loans as a way of generating credit. Will there be an interest in BTC loans? I know interest can be regarded as a measure of risk and as a measure of inflation protection. With a deflationary currency, how would interest be calculated? I.e. - this project has low risk of 4% and BTC appreciates on average 5% per year ... therefore your loan interest will be -1%?!

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 06:50:41 PM

Exactly. If loans can still theoretically be made and fractional reserve banking and interest can still be part of the loaning process, the fact that there is no last lender and the fact that it is a well know fact that there is a known total maximum amount of coins make banks run risks very high.

It makes them higher than what you're used to, that does not make such risk "high".  A bitcoin bank that fractionally loans out twice as much as it keeps in reserves can crediblely do so, so long as it's open and up front abou it's methods and long term CD's are it's primary method of raising capital (or some other not-on-demand deposit system).

I still have a question on loans as a way of generating credit. Will there be an interest in BTC loans?
Almost certainly.  There have always been interest in investment loans.

I know interest can be regarded as a measure of risk and as a measure of inflation protection. With a deflationary currency, how would interest be calculated? I.e. - this project has low risk of 4% and BTC appreciates on average 5% per year ... therefore your loan interest will be -1%?!

You're guessing, and poorly.  Keep thinking and you might get there on your own.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 07:02:41 PM

It makes them higher than what you're used to, that does not make such risk "high".  A bitcoin bank that fractionally loans out twice as much as it keeps in reserves can crediblely do so, so long as it's open and up front abou it's methods and long term CD's are it's primary method of raising capital (or some other not-on-demand deposit system).

Except that the bank can't lend out bitcoins, but only something that can be redeemed for bitcoins. Would you accept a piece of paper that says: "can be redeemed for 1 Bitcoin at the first international bank of bitcoin at any time" instead of 1 Bitcoin?

I wouldn't.

The circumstance that made fractional reserve banking possible historically was the fact that such "receipt money" was already being used for other reasons (gold too hard to store, carry around, cumbersome to transact, divide up)

With bitcoin, how would this happen? Transaction, storage cost and ease of handling of the "base metal" (bitcoin) is already very low and its divisibility high.

Does anyone feel the urge or need to bring his bitcoins to the goldsmith for safekeeping?

Again: I'm not saying it's impossible: I'm just saying I don't see any chain of developments that would make it happen.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: