Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:04:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A possible solution to future government crackdowns  (Read 1148 times)
zen862 (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 01:00:57 AM

There has been great speculation regarding the possibility of governments attempting to, in the future, restrict the use of Bitcoins.
This is an entirely tenable position and I think such a scenario will happen. Control of the money supply is a central facet of government power and for the powers that be to lose this ability is simply unacceptable and regulations and restrictions will start to emerge.

This is something we cannot, will not and won't accept for it breaks the spirit of the freedom associated with Bitcoins in the first place! Now, the average Joe won't have such concerns when Bitcoins are more widely used, thus the groundwork must be laid by us: the pioneers of the movement.

I can think of two options to those worried about being arrested/watched for possession of Bitcoins:

i) For someone to develop a Bitcoin client one could carry around on a USB stick and possibly duplicate.
The problem I have with this is that these things aren't designed for the long-term storage of data.
When duplicating/transferring over your entire fortune, wouldn't it be gutting to lose it all?

THUS, I propose the following:

ii) The emergence of multiple currency reserves dotted in far flung countries. I happen to have ties with one such country, and I have in place
dedicated servers with back-up facilities ready and waiting to go. See this thread: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=8625.0

I haven't had much enthusiasm for the idea thus far but then again I can understand why people are concerned about scammers and so on.

Perhaps this thread: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12831.0 will convince you I'm not a Nigerian internet scammer. Either way it's eloquent so feel free to send me gifts  Kiss

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
spanko

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2011, 02:48:48 PM

I say go for it... the problem is indeed the connection with the old money system... i believe we need it at first as humans are habitual creatures and need to be able to relate value to something new.

Either we connect to another physical commodity (preferably not something completely controlled like gold or oil) or we connect to fake money.

I think it would be wise to take mutiple solutions route...

so go ahead. I can make an contribution to your cause bu offcourse i need some proof....

Anyone else got another great idea...?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: