Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 12:22:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Bitcoins please help  (Read 3261 times)
yo-yo56 (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 10:34:17 PM

It says "Cannot open wallet dump file (code -8)". And I can't do the open wallet thing mentioned earlier because I don't have a password
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6641

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2015, 10:40:54 PM

It says "Cannot open wallet dump file (code -8)". And I can't do the open wallet thing mentioned earlier because I don't have a password
That error means that Bitcoin Core cannot create the output file, possibly a permissions problem. Try entering an absolute path like
Code:
C:\Users\USER\Documents\wallet.txt
where USER (not Users) is your username. There should then be a file called wallet.txt in your Documents folder.

yo-yo56 (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 10:56:19 PM

Would this be using in my file search in windows or bitcoin qt? Doesn't work either way, only wallet.dat file not wallet.txt
achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2015, 10:58:10 PM

Would this be using in my file search in windows or bitcoin qt? Doesn't work either way, only wallet.dat file not wallet.txt
in the console, instead of using wallet.txt, use the path. So the command you enter should be
Code:
dumpwallet C:\Users\USER\Documents\wallet.txt
Then in the file explorer, you should see wallet.txt in the Documents folder

yo-yo56 (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 11:12:43 PM

Got my bitcoins back, thanks everyone!
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 2974

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2015, 05:57:37 AM

Got my bitcoins back, thanks everyone!
Just give a steps how do you solve the problem or what is your last step bro? do you do the steps from crairezx20 i think thats the way that you can see again your balance.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
yo-yo56 (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 08:51:39 AM

I did what shorena and knightdk said. This is from the point where I had the conflicted transactions in qt.

1. I did the dump wallet thing where I specified the path e.g. C//:Users/User/documents wallet.txt
2. I went into documents and opened up wallet.txt
3. I copied it whole
4.Went onto electrum, import, then pasted it then I had the balance
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2015, 08:52:36 AM

I did what shorena and knightdk said. This is from the point where I had the conflicted transactions in qt.

1. I did the dump wallet thing where I specified the path e.g. C//:Users/User/documents wallet.txt
2. I went into documents and opened up wallet.txt
3. I copied it whole
4.Went onto electrum, import, then pasted it then I had the balance

Glad you have your coins back, sorry I suspected you of stealing someone elses wallet file. You get a bit paranoid here over time.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
yo-yo56 (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 09:01:02 AM

Nah it's fine I wasn't clear, thanks for the help
hedgy73
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1077

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 09:29:28 AM

Well done glad you got it sorted Smiley.
TheRayven

Activity: 25

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 12:41:57 AM

So I am facing a similar problem, but on a mac. Also somewhat of a newbie here. I have followed all of these steps and gotten the same error code. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
TheRayven

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 12:43:19 AM

Happy to send a .5 BTC finders fee to whoever can help me get mine back
achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2015, 12:44:13 AM

So I am facing a similar problem, but on a mac. Also somewhat of a newbie here. I have followed all of these steps and gotten the same error code. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Can you describe what you are getting?

Did you do the dumpwallet command as I wrote above, because that won't work on a mac.

TheRayven

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 12:51:17 AM

I tried dumpwallet and I tried   dumpprivkey YourBitCoinPublicAddress but it may have been the wrong public address. Basically the backstory is I had been using Bitcoin Core v0.8.5-beta and one day it would no longer open. It's been about a year now since I've tried but I have moved the Bitcoin folder from /library/application support/bitcoin to the desktop. From there I can open the client but it won't re-index the blockchain. My balance is at 0, which it shouldn't be, and the public keys I had used are no longer there... I've been browsing forums looking for anyway to get them back.
achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2015, 12:55:14 AM

I tried dumpwallet and I tried   dumpprivkey YourBitCoinPublicAddress but it may have been the wrong public address. Basically the backstory is I had been using Bitcoin Core v0.8.5-beta and one day it would no longer open. It's been about a year now since I've tried but I have moved the Bitcoin folder from /library/application support/bitcoin to the desktop. From there I can open the client but it won't re-index the blockchain. My balance is at 0, which it shouldn't be, and the public keys I had used are no longer there... I've been browsing forums looking for anyway to get them back.
That folder is NOT the bitcoin installation. That is the data directory. It has the blockchain and wallet stored there. When you moved it, Bitcoin no longer sees the files since they are not where they are supposed to be. Move the folder back and copy out the wallet.dat file as a backup. Then try again.

TheRayven

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 01:27:14 AM

Ok so now everything is back where it's supposed to be but the blockchain is syncing and I still show a zero balance. The good news is I'm now able to start the client without the typical Bitcoin QT Quit Unexpextedly message and subsequent shut down.

The bad news is the only public address in there was the one I tried dumpprivkey with before...
achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2015, 01:30:44 AM

Ok so now everything is back where it's supposed to be but the blockchain is syncing and I still show a zero balance. The good news is I'm now able to start the client without the typical Bitcoin QT Quit Unexpextedly message and subsequent shut down.

The bad news is the only public address in there was the one I tried dumpprivkey with before...
Try doing the whole dumpwallet thing and make sure you set the path to a location you can access, like the desktop

TheRayven

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 02:27:28 AM

dumpwallet doesn't seem to work on mac. dumpprivkey does, but I can't find the correct public key to pair. Looking for any sort of backup on my computer or external drives now.

I appreciate your time and help.
achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2015, 02:34:00 AM

dumpwallet doesn't seem to work on mac. dumpprivkey does, but I can't find the correct public key to pair. Looking for any sort of backup on my computer or external drives now.

I appreciate your time and help.
dumpwallet should work, but maybe on mac it doesn't, IDK.

what do you mean you can't find the correct public key to pair? You only need to enter a bitcoin address for dumpprivkey to work. You can find all of your addresses by using the command
Code:
listreceivedbyaddress 0 true
That will list all of the addresses that you have used, including change.

TheRayven

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 02:50:53 AM

Okay so I used listreceivedbyaddress 0 true and that kicked back an address that I successfully used with dumpprivkey to get my private key. I now have one private key and my password but don't know what to do from here. I have tried to import the private key to a separate wallet on blockchain.info but that has not changed my balance. I did not have to input the password that I encrypted the account with. Is there a chance that this is the wrong private key?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: