Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:36:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What if USD collapses and they issue new currency.  (Read 3483 times)
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 08:51:31 PM

I'm more curious what would happen to debts.  Would laws around a new currency also incorporate a conversion of some sort to allow for debts to be converted?  Would I still have a mortgage on my home?  How would the value of my home be determined, and how would the amount of the new mortgage be determined?  What happens if my paycheck in the new currency drops relative to my mortgage payment in the new currency?

Moreover, if the point of issuing a new currency is to eliminate governmental debt, how could the government justify relieving themselves of their own debt while requiring the debts of the common people to be enforced?  Especially when common people are partial holders of the debt the government defaults on?

That being the case, would the people simply demand a revocation of their current debts owed to various banking institutions?  Would the banks themselves be shut down and go bankrupt in favor of the people?

It could be the start of a very interesting revolution and redistribution of asset-held wealth across the country.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 09:17:06 PM

It could be the start of a very interesting revolution and redistribution of asset-held wealth across the country.

Your idea of interesting and my idea of interesting must be two different things.   The redistribution confiscation of assets is theft.  Putting it under the guise of a revolution doesn't white wash it of the immorality that boils down to taking things that don't belong to you.
Rudd-O

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2012, 09:27:35 PM

Your idea of interesting and my idea of interesting must be two different things.   The redistribution confiscation of assets is theft.  Putting it under the guise of a revolution doesn't white wash it of the immorality that boils down to taking things that don't belong to you.

Well said.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 09:36:07 PM

I completely agree with you, and I wasn't trying to say that said redistribution would be fair or moral.

What is interesting to me is the dilemma that such a situation would pose.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 09:57:43 PM

What dilemma would that be?
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 03:16:52 PM

I'm more curious what would happen to debts.  Would laws around a new currency also incorporate a conversion of some sort to allow for debts to be converted?  Would I still have a mortgage on my home?  How would the value of my home be determined, and how would the amount of the new mortgage be determined?  What happens if my paycheck in the new currency drops relative to my mortgage payment in the new currency?

Moreover, if the point of issuing a new currency is to eliminate governmental debt, how could the government justify relieving themselves of their own debt while requiring the debts of the common people to be enforced?  Especially when common people are partial holders of the debt the government defaults on?

That being the case, would the people simply demand a revocation of their current debts owed to various banking institutions?  Would the banks themselves be shut down and go bankrupt in favor of the people?

I believe the word you are looking for is Jubilee.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2012, 03:22:55 PM

I believe the word you are looking for is Jubilee.

I would have used "riot," but that works too. For those interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubilee_2000

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 08:16:34 PM

If you just convert old currency to new currency "1:1" so to say, you gain nothing and everything is as rotten as before, you still have a debt crisis on hand.

If you "wipe out" the old currency you also wipe out all the debt (because FIAT equals debt) and effectively steal from the people owning the debt.

Dilemma: how to introduce a new currency in a fair way?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 08:23:48 PM

If you just convert old currency to new currency "1:1" so to say, you gain nothing and everything is as rotten as before, you still have a debt crisis on hand.

If you "wipe out" the old currency you also wipe out all the debt (because FIAT equals debt) and effectively steal from the people owning the debt.

Dilemma: how to introduce a new currency in a fair way?

Exactly this.
Shotgun_WooWoo

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 04:15:03 AM

What if this kind of talk draws negative attention?

I like to think of BTC as a hobby, a hobby that generates USD.  You can't have one without the other; so to speak.  I think that BTC will never surpass USD nor will it become a viable electronic "currency".  It's just a fun project that pays you back. 

That being said, I've seen some stupid and dangerous stuff including bad BTC deals and hazardous rig set ups.  I'm going to try and keep my head above water with all the help I can get.

bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 05:21:33 AM

I like to think of BTC as a hobby, a hobby that generates USD.  You can't have one without the other; so to speak.  I think that BTC will never surpass USD nor will it become a viable electronic "currency".  It's just a fun project that pays you back. 

That being said, I've seen some stupid and dangerous stuff including bad BTC deals and hazardous rig set ups.  I'm going to try and keep my head above water with all the help I can get.

A couple of notes to this. If you think of bitcoin as nothing but something that generates USD, ask yourself this, how can it generate USD unless it has some value of its own? People are not usually in the habit of parting with wealth in exchange for nothing are they?

A second point is that the value of all currency is determiend to a greater or less extent by the faith/belief that resides in it. You believe that your USD will be redeemable for goods and services, hence you value it. If you don't believe on some level in bitcoin as having value, or actively disbelieve in it, you destroy its' value. Counter-productive.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 01:23:42 PM

A hobby?!? Just a fun project?!? Well, to each man his own, I guess...

Cheesy as this may sound, but I think of Bitcoin (or cryptocurrency in general) as potentially freeing the people from the suppression they're suffering from and make the world a better place. Why do we have to work for 40 hours per week (in case we have a job) or live in less than optimal conditions (in case we don't have a job and maybe also in case we do). Why do we have to exploit and destroy mother nature and her resources and eradicate other lifeforms? We're clearly not living up to our potential in this regard.

Now one might not believe there is a connection between the type of money we use to the prosperity and respectfulness we live in. I do: I think our economy can be run much more efficiently with sound money.

Much can be said about how to build a potentially better society and I don't want to spoil any efforts, but the single most effective measure is the use of sound money.

Desirable things like a smaller state, more efficient and modest natural resource usage and even a higher level of happiness will all follow from the use of sound money.

That's why I put so much energy into bitcoin and am so excited about it, not because it's a hobby that generates a little bit of colored paper currency.

Draw negative attention? Well FUCK YEAH, bring it on baby, this is a currency war and I'm fighting!

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Liquid

Activity: 826

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 12:09:37 PM

A hobby?!? Just a fun project?!? Well, to each man his own, I guess...

Cheesy as this may sound, but I think of Bitcoin (or cryptocurrency in general) as potentially freeing the people from the suppression they're suffering from and make the world a better place. Why do we have to work for 40 hours per week (in case we have a job) or live in less than optimal conditions (in case we don't have a job and maybe also in case we do). Why do we have to exploit and destroy mother nature and her resources and eradicate other lifeforms? We're clearly not living up to our potential in this regard.

Now one might not believe there is a connection between the type of money we use to the prosperity and respectfulness we live in. I do: I think our economy can be run much more efficiently with sound money.

Much can be said about how to build a potentially better society and I don't want to spoil any efforts, but the single most effective measure is the use of sound money.

Desirable things like a smaller state, more efficient and modest natural resource usage and even a higher level of happiness will all follow from the use of sound money.

That's why I put so much energy into bitcoin and am so excited about it, not because it's a hobby that generates a little bit of colored paper currency.

Draw negative attention? Well FUCK YEAH, bring it on baby, this is a currency war and I'm fighting!

+1 brother

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
LegalEagle

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 11:08:39 PM

http://t.qkme.me/3s0fxo.jpg
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 11:20:10 PM

About as likely as anything else he's suggested.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: