Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:07:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No joke: Guatemalan comedian wins presidency in landslide  (Read 488 times)
freedomno1 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 04:30:24 AM
Last edit: October 26, 2015, 04:46:06 AM by freedomno1

Former TV comedian Jimmy Morales, who has no experience in government, won Guatemala's presidential election in a landslide on Sunday after a corruption scandal toppled the last president and stoked outrage with the political establishment.

The headquarters of Morales' National Convergence Front (FCN) party erupted in a celebration with live music and dozens of early revelers.

A political outsider promising clean government, Morales had 72.4 percent of the vote with returns in from 70 percent of polling stations, well ahead of former first lady Sandra Torres, who had around 27.6 percent.

"As president I received a mandate, and the mandate of the people of Guatemala is to fight against the corruption that is consuming us. God bless and thank you," Morales said as results showed him on course for a massive victory.

With tales of his humble origins and jokes from a 14-year stint on a sketch comedy show, the 46-year-old Morales connected with voters fed up with corruption that sparked nationwide protests and finally toppled Otto Perez from the presidency last month.

"We are tired of the same faces. Jimmy Morales doesn't really convince me, I was not even going to vote. But he is the only option," said Ana Fuentes, 36, a street seller.

Morales has faced criticism over fanciful policy ideas, like promising to hand out smartphones to kids or tagging teachers with GPS devices to make sure they show up for class.
http://news.yahoo.com/comedian-favored-win-guatemala-presidency-anti-graft-ticket-002508182.html

--
I call it Teacherdar, you know the prof is approaching from miles away  and can always get to class just in time Grin
Perhaps a precursor of more things to come people looking for positive changes and a break away from institutionalized politics.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
enhu
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1018

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 04:44:49 AM

Great! Now the nation is going to laugh while he is on tv.  Give it a time, I'm sure we'll all going to laugh about it. Smiley
Celebrities usually have the advantage to run for a position really and I mean our country have tons of politics who are into showbiz back and they did it without having much campaign.

██████████ BitcoinCleanUp.comDebunking Bitcoin's Energy Use ██████████
██████████                Twitter#EndTheFUD                 ██████████
freedomno1 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 04:51:07 AM

Great! Now the nation is going to laugh while he is on tv.  Give it a time, I'm sure we'll all going to laugh about it. Smiley
Celebrities usually have the advantage to run for a position really and I mean our country have tons of politics who are into showbiz back and they did it without having much campaign.

The reality is that I can see an Oprah for President campaign not just replacing but Destroying Hillary.
News she is a stakeholder in weightwatchers and the stock goes up 105% in one day so a Presidential run would put up some instant polling numbers.
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/99298/20151025/the-oprah-effect-tv-mogul-winfrey-acquires-10-stake-in-weight-watchers.htm

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
skeet

Activity: 190
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 06:40:12 AM

I rather vote for a comedian and the clowns that usually run for office. No experience? I think the USA has shown that the biggest idiots in Congress have been there the longest.

kydranel

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 07:32:26 AM

Now they maybe filled with sarcasm and realtalks i guess. but we cant judge him. he may have the reason and the people saw through it. let wait for their change

CryptoTotal.com    ¯\__/     Crypto MegaStore      ✓ Worldwide Shipping
──────────────    °  °    ────────────────────── ──── ─── ── ─
CamerasHeadphonesTabletsVideo GamesToysCollectiblesMoviesFragrancesHealthBeauty
vero

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 01:00:56 PM

guess the people felt from that last leader, that if the political system is going to be a joke, then this guy should be running it! Lest he has better writers

danel

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 01:53:42 AM

Well why not, it's just adds to the list of other comedians they elected. Heck he might even prove to be a decent President, if he is no politician.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: