Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:11:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: World's First School to Issue Academic Certificates via Bitcoin Blockchain  (Read 1331 times)
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 01:38:38 PM

Interesting idea.
Let's see how this picks up from other institutions as well.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4470

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 01:59:28 PM
Last edit: November 01, 2015, 02:27:54 PM by franky1

But I just have one question. How does this all actually work? The reason behind it seems good enough, but does it actually help catch the bad guys.

imagine the olden days where employers would have to read a CV. then look at what secondary/high school a person went to. search for that schools website, click the results page and then have to search by typing in the applicants name, date of birth and years attended..
then repeating all of that again for all of the schools the applicant went to

now..

imagine every school has a verified bitcoin address..
and so does the individual applicant.

the applicant simply shows his verified 'scholar' bitcoin address
and the employer with just one address can see all the 'bits' sent to it from the different schools

and if there are head hunters wanting only applicants from MIT. they can search MIT's address to see all the certificates

... well thats how i presume it could work

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
montreal

Activity: 328
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 01:59:59 PM

Wow. It's nice to see Blockchain being used for other things than just currency. Helping out society from retards that put out false resumes. It is also nice to see that more people, including schools now, are getting into bitcoin. But I just have one question. How does this all actually work? The reason behind it seems good enough, but does it actually help catch the bad guys.

it would prove the certification for an individual is authentic from that organization. article says each student gets a "digital certificate number" which employers could check in a blockexplorer. bad guys or frauders can't replicate the universitys signature and know it's fake

DAEX ◄► RELIABLE CLEARING ECOSYSTEM ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ANNWHITEPAPERBOUNTY 
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 02:06:35 PM

Very good. The good is being spread in an another new direction. Another unheard before application of peer to peer. The word is spreading. Someone (the most smart ones) hear and go to know. First for the curiosity, then because learn and understand the superiority of this technology. There will be to many others the fields in which it will applied. Slowly but with determined steps the peer to peer is going ahead to take its place in the world of technologies. More to see and more to come. Hope that the superiority of peer to peer helps bitcoin in having its deserved place in the world of currencies.
Luqman

Activity: 826
Merit: 263

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 04:03:12 PM

Blockchain technology is future. Waiting such a good news same as with this.
pjsonowal

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 07:32:48 PM

Wow thats a nice idea.. Wished i could have a college like that i my country too.  Smiley

e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2015, 08:28:50 PM

Wow, thats pretty cool. It actually looks like a publicity stunt though, which is a bit disappointing. I wonder if they even know what they're doing.
kpitti
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 07:11:05 AM

This is very good and great example of blockchain technology wide use.
It needs to be spread in whole network. I like it  Grin
HristianD

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

Project Lead at OS.UNIVERSITY

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2017, 09:26:01 AM

Holberton Software Engineering School announced it will become the first school to deliver academic certificates that are secured and accessible via Bitcoin’s blockchain. To this end, the school has collaborated with Bitcoin startup Bitproof that specializes in document certification on the blockchain.

The new blockchain-powered certificates should make it easier for employers to verify job candidates’ backgrounds and reduce the number of false resumes.

According to the information in Holberton school blog, each graduate will be given a paper certificate and a Digital Certificate Number (DCN). Graduates can include this number in their CV. Thus, the employer can easily verify this information just by checking this number in the blockchain explorer available online.

Quote from: Sylvain Kalache
The blockchain is the future of certification, and we believe that in the following years, more schools will use the public blockchain to secure their certificates and diplomas.

"It is much more efficient, secure, and simple than what you can find today in the industry,” Kalache continued. “We think first about our students – we want to make sure that our certificates will always remain valid and verifiable by employers. It will also keep them safe and impossible to copy or hack."

Full read:
http://cointelegraph.com/news/115453/worlds-first-school-to-issue-academic-certificates-via-bitcoin-blockchain

Hey, thanks for sharing!

My name is Hristian and I am leading the Open Source University ICO at www.os.university.

What Holberton are building for their students, we are building for the global learners' community.

Check out our project discussion at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2393582.0.

I will be happy to keep in touch.

Best,
Hristian

salihno71

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 09:31:33 AM

I am not sure if there are any HR hiring managers who know how to use blockchain explorer... 

I'm sure there will be an app for that  Grin If they can use browsers, Microsoft word and similar stuff, they will manage also one app.
gustaf.berg

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 09:32:35 AM

It is great to see the blockchain being used for other application now, and not just the currency token. The validation of these certificates on the blockchain would help with fraudulent CV's being submitted for job openings.
It gives other potential applicants with valid qualifications a fair chance, to get the job.

I am very impressed with this news and very proud of this school to initiate such a program with a valid certification.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: