Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 01:58:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] BitcoinStore.com (Beta) - Electronics super store with over 500K items!  (Read 75296 times)
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 10:53:42 PM

It is a Windows RT device, which means that all software for this device must be distributed via the Microsoft store. It is a closed censored ecosystem like Apple iPhone / iPad.
Well, I don't have an actual device itself, but my coworker has some evaluation unit from Korea. He is saying that it works exactly like Apple iOS devices except that the cost of development license is zero. On your own device, with your own developer license, you can run whatever you like.

This is why I said it would be a good test of open-source-ness: Satoshi Bitcoin client that anyone can build using free development tools (free as in free beer: Visual Studio 2012 Express). It would be a great experiment in portability and resilience of Bitcoin.

So one distributes the source code under a FLOSS license, provides instructions on downloading the free as in free beer Visual Studio 2012 Express and compiling the software and bingo the censorship is effectively bypassed. In other words one can have software freedom, but only if one compiles the software oneself. A very interesting idea.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MemoryDealers (OP)
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2012, 11:04:14 PM

I'm not seeing any SSDs for sale via your site. Do you sell them? If not, can you add them to your inventory?

There are several hundred SSD drives:

http://www.bitcoinstore.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=SSD

I think on Monday I will be ready to lower the order minimum.

Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 11:05:48 PM

So one distributes the source code under a FLOSS license, provides instructions on downloading the free as in free beer Visual Studio 2012 Express and compiling the software and bingo the censorship is effectively bypassed. In other words one can have software freedom, but only if one compiles the software oneself. A very interesting idea.
Yes, exactly. Thank you for extending the effort to understand this. I was afraid that my explanations are too convoluted or assume some advanced knowledge.

It would be also good for the Bitcoin itself if more users could actually build the Bitcoin application themselves and not rely on the high priesthood to provide them with a pre-made build.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 11:20:37 PM
Last edit: November 04, 2012, 11:40:43 PM by ArticMine

I'm not seeing any SSDs for sale via your site. Do you sell them? If not, can you add them to your inventory?

There are several hundred SSD drives:

http://www.bitcoinstore.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=SSD

I think on Monday I will be ready to lower the order minimum.

Any timeline on the international shipping issue?

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 04:07:33 PM

When you are ready with a fully-functional, attractive site. I have a marketing scheme idea for you.

1) Partner with TangibleCryptography, Bitinstant or another one of these cash deposit direct to bitcoin outlets.
2) Ask them to issue a coupon code for your store (say $100 off $1000). Coupons go to people who purchase $1000 worth of btc from them and who are first-time customers (I assume they do KYC to check this).
3) Eliminate coupon code sharing by requiring that the bitcoins used to make the purchase match the bitcoins purchased from the cash to bitcoin outlet
4) Identify a few popular items that you can offer competitive prices for.
5) Post the item and detailed bitcoin purchase, download, and coupon acquisition instructions on "slickdeals.net" Also post a price comparison vs. Amazon, newegg, etc.

Expect to lose some money off this. The goal is to get name recognition for the bitcoinstore + bitcoin acquisition methods in a very widely used deal forum.  
Ideally you can get the absolute cheapskates who populate slickdeals.net to regularly scan your site for new offers and post about them autonomously.

Presumably the name recognition will help your partner as well.

[I don't think you should do this until the site has been substantially upgraded. It looks a bit like a low-price scam site right now. (I mean that in the nicest possible way.)
Scam sites often involve purchasing hardware from foreign companies. These companies also ask for wire transfer, etc. less reversible methods of payment than credit cards.
Thus you have to improve your image]
niooron

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 04:32:11 PM

When you are ready with a fully-functional, attractive site. I have a marketing scheme idea for you.

1) Partner with TangibleCryptography, Bitinstant or another one of these cash deposit direct to bitcoin outlets.
2) Ask them to issue a coupon code for your store (say $100 off $1000). Coupons go to people who purchase $1000 worth of btc from them and who are first-time customers (I assume they do KYC to check this).
3) Eliminate coupon code sharing by requiring that the bitcoins used to make the purchase match the bitcoins purchased from the cash to bitcoin outlet
5) Post the item and detailed bitcoin purchase, download, and coupon acquisition instructions on "slickdeals.net" Also post a price comparison vs. Amazon, newegg, etc.

Expect to lose some money off this. The goal is to get name recognition for the bitcoinstore + bitcoin acquisition methods in a very widely used deal forum.  
Ideally you can get the absolute cheapskates who populate slickdeals.net to regularly scan your site for new offers and post about them autonomously.

[I don't think you should do this until the site has been substantially upgraded. It looks a bit like a low-price scam site right now. (I mean that in the nicest possible way.)
Scam sites often involve purchasing hardware from foreign companies. These companies also ask for wire transfer, etc. less reversible methods of payment than credit cards.

It doesn't look that bad, the sites that came before this looked far worse.
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 04:36:09 PM

So we are using coin taint to attempt to track customer discounts across multiple merchants? I suspect this will lead to all sorts of customer complaints and ruin the reputation of all the merchants involved rather than generate sales. Anyone actually consider a high degree of privacy to be a useful feature of Bitcoin?

Isokivi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 04:38:01 PM

Welcome and thank you, Im loving the site and the quantity of articles available.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
teste

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 08:39:19 PM

+1
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 11:15:40 PM

For a Bitcoin only store it would be cool to implement some mouse-over effect to display the Ƀ-price of items or even better the $ on mouse-over.

(I'm eager to read about first people reporting their orders being processed with no problems and for shipping to Chile.)

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 01:20:32 AM
Last edit: November 06, 2012, 02:52:23 AM by ArticMine

For a Bitcoin only store it would be cool to implement some mouse-over effect to display the Ƀ-price of items or even better the $ on mouse-over.

(I'm eager to read about first people reporting their orders being processed with no problems and for shipping to Chile.)

Shipping a laptop to Chile (Santiago) their lowest cost is $453.57 as they only offer Federal Express. I raised the shipping issue over three months ago because of my poor experience in Canada with international shipments via private courier. If there is one thing this store needs to address it is international shipping, and I also strongly believe the best solution is the post office however antiquated and old fashioned this may seem for a Bitcoin store.

On a related note you may wish to take places such as Cuba, North Korea, Iran etc. out of your country list if you do not wish to run afoul of legislation in the United States. Seriously.

Grix

Activity: 536
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2012, 06:58:51 PM

First of all, this is amazing. Exactly what bitcoin needed!

The main menu on the left is very buggy, though. Might want to fix that before beta period ends. For example, submenus will start popping in and out in an endless loop sometimes, even when the mouse has left the menu area.

BTC: 1Fahk2aa4NS4Qds4VDAL4mpNArDEdV2K5K
LaserShowGen Laser Show Software
Helios Laser Show Hardware
Daily Anarchist

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2012, 09:08:51 PM

Any plans on selling food on BitcoinStore? That would be awesome!

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
joecooin

Activity: 359

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 03:57:08 AM

BitcoinStore.com is the world's first, Bitcoin only, super store.

Unfortunately it is not.

There was a Bitcoin superstore before, bitcoinz.ca, run by a fucker named awozny here on the forum, who delivered the first test-orders and ran off with our money when he got proper orders prepaid.

His real name is Anthony Wozny from Canada, has anyone ever heard from him again or could let me know where I could find him so I could physically let him experience what I think about scum like him?

Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt your thread but CNR Smiley.

I am happy that you made this store and am looking forward to buying from you! Smiley

Joe

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 04:17:46 PM
Last edit: November 08, 2012, 04:21:55 PM by FreeMoney

BitcoinStore.com is the world's first, Bitcoin only, super store.

Unfortunately it is not.

There was a Bitcoin superstore before, bitcoinz.ca, run by a fucker named awozny here on the forum, who delivered the first test-orders and ran off with our money when he got proper orders prepaid.

His real name is Anthony Wozny from Canada, has anyone ever heard from him again or could let me know where I could find him so I could physically let him experience what I think about scum like him?

Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt your thread but CNR Smiley.

I am happy that you made this store and am looking forward to buying from you! Smiley

Joe

bitcoinz.ca doesn't sound like a very super store to me.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
MemoryDealers (OP)
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 12:06:03 AM

They really need to use USPS for international orders to deal with these outrageous shipping costs.
USPS will be an international shipping method very soon.  I already applied for the account and am just waiting to receive the API credentials from USPS. Hopefully it can be online within this week!

I want to buy a Microsoft Surface with bitcoins.  Will you guys stock this item?
Yes,  this will be stocked soon.

Now prices for all items are displayed in BTC and USD

On a related note you may wish to take places such as Cuba, North Korea, Iran etc. out of your country list if you do not wish to run afoul of legislation in the United States. Seriously.
Done.  Thank you for the advice.

This is an interesting idea that I will look into,  but it wont be in the immediate future.

Would like to see brand names in the links on the browse pages. Hard to navigate things that are just generically named like "20 inch monitor...".
Still working on this,  but it will happen very soon.

Price range links don't seem to work. In fact, categorization in general doesn't seem to be correct at all.
Price range links are fixed.  If you have other categorization suggestions,  please post them here.

Meh. How about we just get that bitcoin debit card already and then buy direct from Amazon.
Because Bitcoinstore.com is cheaper than Amazon for lots of things,  and especially so after you consider the fees that will be involved in loading the card.

Thank you to everyone who has already placed an order!

ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 01:14:53 AM

They really need to use USPS for international orders to deal with these outrageous shipping costs.
USPS will be an international shipping method very soon.  I already applied for the account and am just waiting to receive the API credentials from USPS. Hopefully it can be online within this week!

I want to buy a Microsoft Surface with bitcoins.  Will you guys stock this item?
Yes,  this will be stocked soon.

Now prices for all items are displayed in BTC and USD

Done.  Thank you for the advice.

This is an interesting idea that I will look into,  but it wont be in the immediate future.

Would like to see brand names in the links on the browse pages. Hard to navigate things that are just generically named like "20 inch monitor...".
Still working on this,  but it will happen very soon.

Price range links don't seem to work. In fact, categorization in general doesn't seem to be correct at all.
Price range links are fixed.  If you have other categorization suggestions,  please post them here.

Meh. How about we just get that bitcoin debit card already and then buy direct from Amazon.
Because Bitcoinstore.com is cheaper than Amazon for lots of things,  and especially so after you consider the fees that will be involved in loading the card.

Thank you to everyone who has already placed an order!

Excellent!

sharky112065

Activity: 383

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 03:16:59 PM

Any plans to speed the site up? When I click on links, it takes a really long time before each page comes up.

Donations welcome: 12KaKtrK52iQjPdtsJq7fJ7smC32tXWbWr
MemoryDealers (OP)
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 04:27:41 PM

Any plans to speed the site up? When I click on links, it takes a really long time before each page comes up.

Currently all the caching is turned off while we make site improvements. 
It will be turned back on soon and will speed things up a lot.

flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 12:03:44 PM

searching for trim-slice (http://trimslice.com) or cubox (http://solid-run.com/) - but found nothing

and a nice hdd case like "Sharkoon 5-Bay RAID Box";

do you delievery to germany?
btw if you search for a product and found some results it would be nice to see in which categoriy the results where. would be much easier to continue your search.

regards & best luck
flower
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: