Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:25:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Church of Satoshi and Latter Day Coins  (Read 7521 times)
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 05:52:05 PM
Last edit: November 03, 2012, 06:03:25 PM by crazy_rabbit

I'm sure people have noticed how eerily similar to religion Bitcoin is becoming. The mythical founder, the email disciples, the followers. This message board as a proto-bible of texts, the wiki and the churches efforts to consolidate a one-true-book. The false prophet of Real Solid, the breakway protestants of Litecoin and the cults of BBQ, IO,IX..... the small monastery of Dev coin. Our prayers to Satoshi in the form of mining- doing Satoshis' work, The Charlaten of Pirate. And of course- the eternal blockchain. The collective memory of our entire universe.

So why doesn't someone just do it already- and register the Church of Satoshi? There is certainly enough philosophy here.

eidt: Namecoin can be the lost 13th tribe of Alt Chains.

more or less retired.
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2012, 05:54:18 PM

I'm sure people have noticed how eerily similar to religion Bitcoin is becoming. The mythical founder, the email disciples, the followers. This message board as a proto-bible of texts, the wiki and the churches efforts to consolidate a one-true-book. The false prophet of Real Solid, the breakway protestants of Litecoin and the cults of BBQ, IO,IX..... the small monastery of Dev coin. Our prayers to Satoshi in the form of mining- doing Satoshis' work, The Charlaten of Pirate. And of course- the eternal blockchain. The collective memory of our entire universe.

So why doesn't someone just do it already- and register the Church of Satoshi? There is certainly enough philosophy here.

How does one become ordained?
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 05:56:43 PM

There is only one cryptocurrency called Bitcoin and Satoshi is a prophet!

It is funny and disturbingly serious in the same time how Bitcoin is similar to religion. Probably because all money have exchange value because people have a faith in it's value. And religion is a faith in the purest form.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 06:01:24 PM

The Gavin is pope?
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 06:02:32 PM

How does one become ordained?

I suppose the Bitcoin Foundation (from now on referred to as The Foundation) is analogous to the Catholic Church as it's the most codified edifice of Satoshi's will and undoubtably will end up the richest and most powerful. And considering Gavin is one of the original disciples, I guess he might be like Peter and once he's gone the next in line would be Pope. So you could join The Foundation I guess, they will give you some touch of Satoshi Divine. I donated to The Foundation at the outset, and thats a form a tithing.

If you're up for LTC It's probably Coblee who needs to ordain you. Although unless he too disappears without a trace his earthly presence will dilute his power as people can directly disagree with him unlike "Our Satoshi though art in Blockchain".

Dunno- I guess it depends what CryptoChurch you want to be apart of. You could always form another fork and be your own Pope and make your own rules, ala "RealSolid the false" but you risk your followers being 'sock puppets' for your heresy.

more or less retired.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 06:05:40 PM

The Gavin is pope?

Undoubtably. Although perhaps he's more like St. Peter, although I guess since he's still alive he can't be Sanctified yet. So yes, I guess that makes him Pope.

more or less retired.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 06:09:35 PM

The Gavin is pope?

Undoubtably. Although perhaps he's more like St. Peter, although I guess since he's still alive he can't be Sanctified yet. So yes, I guess that makes him Pope.

So you want to canonize his dead body?
Go tell him.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 06:10:27 PM

There is only one cryptocurrency called Bitcoin and Satoshi is a prophet!

It is funny and disturbingly serious in the same time how Bitcoin is similar to religion. Probably because all money have exchange value because people have a faith in it's value. And religion is a faith in the purest form.

Its true, while it's funny there is no reason why Bitcoin can't (and dare say won't) end up as a religion. Scientology is huge and powerful. Bitcoin has a far more philosophically sound background. The mathematics behind the cryptography in it's own right touches on the origins of the Universe in the sense that many enlightenment thinkers considered Mathematics some element of god.

Indeed you are correct that the 'faith' in the value of the currency reflects faith in a deity itself.

more or less retired.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 06:12:51 PM

The Gavin is pope?

Go tell him.

I suspect that would seriously weird him out. :-)

But I'm sure the thought of being a "Pope" to this new movement has occurred to him. He is obviously a smart man, I'm sure this thought has occurred to him as has the thought of what place in history he will occupy if Bitcoin succeeds and endures for thousands of years. It is quite possible it is not a minor thing that is happening here on these message boards.

more or less retired.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 06:17:56 PM

Perhaps there will one day come a great doomsday Cult of Deflation that will attempt to hoard as many coins and possible, only to send them all to address with no known private key.

more or less retired.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 06:32:20 PM

The Gavin is pope?

Go tell him.

I suspect that would seriously weird him out. :-)

But I'm sure the thought of being a "Pope" to this new movement has occurred to him. He is obviously a smart man, I'm sure this thought has occurred to him as has the thought of what place in history he will occupy if Bitcoin succeeds and endures for thousands of years. It is quite possible it is not a minor thing that is happening here on these message boards.

Well, not sainted, but in the thread a couple years back wherein many of us were discussing what the denominations of BTC shoudl be called; I (yes, I personally) suggested that we should name them after the most important people in the movement at that time, starting with the most important person lending his name to the smallest demonomation.  Like how the US bills have Geoprge WAshington on the $1, Thomas Jefferson on the $2 bill, etc.  I'm the first person (I think; but the recodrds of this forum would know) to suggest that the smallest BTC denom (0.00000001) be called a Satoshi and the next significant order of  magnitude (three decimal places, or 0.00001) be called a Gavin.  Satoshis stuck, and have been used by both membership of this forum an a number of articles; but it seems that Gavins didn't stick, as I've never seen the term used in print/text since.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 06:40:52 PM

Well, not sainted, but in the thread a couple years back wherein many of us were discussing what the denominations of BTC shoudl be called; I (yes, I personally) suggested that we should name them after the most important people in the movement at that time, starting with the most important person lending his name to the smallest demonomation.  Like how the US bills have Geoprge WAshington on the $1, Thomas Jefferson on the $2 bill, etc.  I'm the first person (I think; but the recodrds of this forum would know) to suggest that the smallest BTC denom (0.00000001) be called a Satoshi and the next significant order of  magnitude (three decimal places, or 0.00001) be called a Gavin.  Satoshis stuck, and have been used by both membership of this forum an a number of articles; but it seems that Gavins didn't stick, as I've never seen the term used in print/text since.

I suspect that's because he's still around. For some reason names stick better once the person is actually gone and can't mess up any longer.

But "Satoshi" does have a nice mythical ring to it already. And if I'm correct although it kinda sounds japanese to westerners, isn't it not actually a Japanese word? It would be funny if it turned out to be an anagram in some language.

BTW: it does have some theological sounding anagrams in english:
http://www.wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=satoshi&t=1000&a=n

I think because this idea is so bat-shit-crazy we probably can't make the church officially with Gavins support. Because it's crazy. And that would carry over with the real worlds impression of us as already being crazy. However it could be done anyway. Satoshi is gone, and I doubt even if he could prove himself (some message in the block chain?) many people would not care and would prefer the mythical Satoshi (Which if he is still alive, i suspect he is aware of himself).

more or less retired.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 06:52:18 PM

Well, not sainted, but in the thread a couple years back wherein many of us were discussing what the denominations of BTC shoudl be called; I (yes, I personally) suggested that we should name them after the most important people in the movement at that time, starting with the most important person lending his name to the smallest demonomation.  Like how the US bills have Geoprge WAshington on the $1, Thomas Jefferson on the $2 bill, etc.  I'm the first person (I think; but the recodrds of this forum would know) to suggest that the smallest BTC denom (0.00000001) be called a Satoshi and the next significant order of  magnitude (three decimal places, or 0.00001) be called a Gavin.  Satoshis stuck, and have been used by both membership of this forum an a number of articles; but it seems that Gavins didn't stick, as I've never seen the term used in print/text since.

I suspect that's because he's still around. For some reason names stick better once the person is actually gone and can't mess up any longer.

But "Satoshi" does have a nice mythical ring to it already. And if I'm correct although it kinda sounds japanese to westerners, isn't it not actually a Japanese word? It would be funny if it turned out to be an anagram in some language.

Satoshi is a fairly common Japanese male name.  That doesn't preclude the possibility that it's an anagram.

Satoshi is gone, and I doubt even if he could prove himself (some message in the block chain?) many people would not care and would prefer the mythical Satoshi (Which if he is still alive, i suspect he is aware of himself).

1) Satoshi isn't actually gone.

2) He could definately prove himself, if he cared to, simply by openly signing documents with one of the first 10 bloack reward addresses; particlularly the genesis block address.

3) Satoshi is still al*** and...

4) he'll definately be aware of it the next time he does a search on this forum for his old nomDePlume, thanks to you.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 07:01:29 PM

Satoshi is a fairly common Japanese male name.  That doesn't preclude the possibility that it's an anagram.

Satoshi is gone, and I doubt even if he could prove himself (some message in the block chain?) many people would not care and would prefer the mythical Satoshi (Which if he is still alive, i suspect he is aware of himself).

1) Satoshi isn't actually gone.

2) He could definately prove himself, if he cared to, simply by openly signing documents with one of the first 10 bloack reward addresses; particlularly the genesis block address.

3) Satoshi is still al*** and...

4) he'll definately be aware of it the next time he does a search on this forum for his old nomDePlume, thanks to you.

Well correction on the Satoshi name part.

I would be interested if he did "return". But he might never do so- indeed even signing something with the original genesis block (GOTTA love that it's not called "the first block" but Genesis.) doesn't prove its really him. I think conspiracy theorists would be the first to point out if the government did away with him a long time ago the would have also most likely confiscated his computer equipment and have access to his original keys.

You don't appreciate how deep someone could get into this if they wanted to? Silliness aside, and no offence towards Mormons intended: But Mormonism started with an angel bringing invisible golden tablets to some guy in upstate New York and has since become one of the worlds fastest growing religions. The golden tablet episode happend already well within the reign of reason and science, so it's not like people can't still be swayed into believing in something that sounds at first: outright crazy.

more or less retired.
DublinBrian

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 07:20:34 PM

I see a market for payment apps for churches. Churches are usually supported by passing a collection basket around their church on sunday. The problem with this is that none of the congregation know exactly how much is collected and sometimes dishonest priests steal some of the collection, for their own profit.

If, instead of that, the church were to pass round a QR code, then the parishioners would be able to see exactly how much was collected each sunday, by monitoring the payment address, thru some kind of church payment app.

Matonis tweeted about a catholic church in New York that is accepting bitcoin donations
http://www.stjohnsgoshen.com/bitcoin
Roger_Murdock

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 08:00:35 PM

Before this goes further, can we just establish that there will be no dietary restrictions? Because if you try and make me give up bacon, I WILL switch to Litecoin. Oh, and we need more holidays. Getting to use one "diversity holiday" to miss work every four years for Halving Day just isn't gonna cut it.  

EDIT: Just thought of two more.
1. No church teaching against the use of intoxicants (let's face it, if we force a split with the Silk Road contingent, we're gonna end up on the losing side of that one).
2. No weird sex stuff (and of course, by that I mean that the church should be totally cool with weird sex stuff).
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 08:05:53 PM

Before this goes further, can we just establish that there will be no dietary restrictions? Because if you try and make me give up bacon, I WILL switch to Litecoin. Oh, and we need more holidays. Getting to use one "diversity holiday" to miss work every four years for Halving Day just isn't gonna cut it. 

Pizza Day?

Roger_Murdock

Activity: 342

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 08:08:20 PM

Pizza Day?
Ha, I love it! Seconded.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 08:09:11 PM

EDIT: Just thought of two more.
1. No church teaching against the use of intoxicants (let's face it, if we force a split with the Silk Road contingent, we're gonna end up on the losing side of that one).
2. No weird sex stuff (and of course, by that I mean that the church should be totally cool with weird sex stuff).

Sounds good!

more or less retired.
beekeeper

Activity: 406

LTC

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2012, 08:09:48 PM

As usually I'm in, and guess what, I bring rum for the rabbit. Smiley

25Khs at 5W Litecoin USB dongle (FPGA), 45kHs overclocked
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=310926
Litecoin FPGA shop -> http://ltcgear.com