Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:27:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another one for the "anarchists"  (Read 1079 times)
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 06:54:32 PM

http://phys.org/news/2012-01-people-socially.html

I've got to grant this one.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Topazan

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 06:58:28 PM

I always thought that online games would be a good way to do social experiments.  One of these days I need to put together a simple game or two to test some theories I have.

Save the last bitcoin for me!
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2012, 07:04:48 PM

There's a discussion buried somewhere around here about a Minecraft server run as an Anarchy. Works just fine.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Topazan

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 07:23:34 PM

Wasn't aware that minecraft servers typically have governments, nor the kind of dilemmas that test social structures.

I never played minecraft, so I guess I wouldn't know.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2012, 07:25:35 PM
Last edit: November 02, 2012, 07:46:43 PM by myrkul

Wasn't aware that minecraft servers typically have governments, nor the kind of dilemmas that test social structures.

I never played minecraft, so I guess I wouldn't know.

Government = monopoly on force
admin = monopoly on banning

Same general idea. Let me see if I can dig it up.

Edit1: Well, I can't find it. Maybe it was on a different forum?!?

Edit2: Derp. It was. Here's the link to the thread: http://forum.bigheadpress.com/index.php?topic=734.0

Edit3: Where the "hypotheticals" stop, and the "Yeah, We already did that" starts: http://forum.bigheadpress.com/index.php?topic=734.msg20159#msg20159

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Topazan

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 08:11:04 PM
Last edit: November 02, 2012, 08:30:16 PM by Topazan

Fascinating.  You have a different definition of "around here" than I do. :p

As an experiment, it doesn't seem to follow the rigor I would require, but I salute them for finding a way to apply their ideals to their gaming life.

Actually, that makes me wonder if their style of rule enforcement could be applied to other games and communities.  Like, would it work on these forums?  It might be difficult, because you would need to create the circumstances under which a poster can be released from imprisonment, and they would have to favor the better established and more organized posters to replicate their results.

EDIT:  Thanks for telling me about that.  It really raises a lot of interesting questions, and gives me even more ideas for experiments to do.

dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 06:14:02 PM

Ignores Nazi Germany and Rwanda - people generally will seek stability, but faced with extreme circumstances they will happily commit genocide.
I suspect it's something to do with chaos mathematics. A feedback system going into chaotic bifurcation.
You'd need to see the space of all possible worlds - perhaps we could learn something from the point at which it breaks.
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 06:20:56 PM

Ignores Nazi Germany and Rwanda - people generally will seek stability, but faced with extreme circumstances they will happily commit genocide.
I suspect it's something to do with chaos mathematics. A feedback system going into chaotic bifurcation.
You'd need to see the space of all possible worlds - perhaps we could learn something from the point at which it breaks.

I'll note here, that in both those cases, those extreme circumstances were, in large part, due to their governments being captured by homicidal sociopaths.

Every government is run by sociopaths, it's what they are good at.  Fortunately it's fairly rare that intelligent sociopaths are also homicidal.  This is, notablely, an argument for the abolution or severe limitations of governments; since it's impossible for a homicidal sociopath to take the reigns of power in a nation that doesn't have any reigns.  Seriously, when have you ever heard of some Swiss general attempting a coup with the Swiss Army?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2012, 06:26:03 PM

Every government is run by sociopaths, it's what they are good at.  Fortunately it's fairly rare that intelligent sociopaths are also homicidal.  This is, notably, an argument for the abolution or severe limitations of governments; since it's impossible for a homicidal sociopath to take the reigns of power in a nation that doesn't have any reigns.

Welcome to the fold?

MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 06:35:39 PM

Every government is run by sociopaths, it's what they are good at.  Fortunately it's fairly rare that intelligent sociopaths are also homicidal.  This is, notably, an argument for the abolution or severe limitations of governments; since it's impossible for a homicidal sociopath to take the reigns of power in a nation that doesn't have any reigns.

Welcome to the fold?

I said it's an argument, not that it's my last excuse.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2012, 06:43:14 PM

I said it's an argument, not that it's my last excuse.

I'll convince you yet. Wink

herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2012, 10:52:21 PM

Live in anarchy and want some power?

1. Organize a terror attack.
2. People are scared and demand more security.
3. Offer yourself as solution.
4. Huh
5. Profit!

History endlessly repeating.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2012, 11:08:14 PM

4. Huh
5. Profit!

Your missing item 4 there:

4. Get rid of all the competition, especially those that get close to figuring out you're the one that did #1.

Essentially, you'll need to be a government (monopoly on the use of force) for your little plan to work. Fun fact: That's exactly how governments do it.

MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 11:13:57 PM

4. Huh
5. Profit!

4. Get rid of all the competition, especially those that get close to figuring out you're the one that did #1.

Essentially, you'll need to be a government (monopoly on the use of force) for your little plan to work. Fun fact: That's exactly how governments do it.

Well, that's not entirely true.  Historicly speaking #1 didn't actually have to occur, one just had to convince enough people that it could occur.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2012, 11:28:40 PM

4. Huh
5. Profit!

Well, that's not entirely true.  Historically speaking #1 didn't actually have to occur, one just had to convince enough people that it could occur.

Fair point. Still need #4 to ensure you're the one who gets the support, though. It does Brinks no good if everyone buys ADT after Brinks goes all out convincing people their houses could get robbed. (Or as the good herzmeister suggests, sponsors some house-robbers)

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2012, 12:18:55 AM
Last edit: November 04, 2012, 01:11:16 PM by Lethn

I think part of the problem over the years is very simply we've been bombarded over the years with propaganda telling us that it isn't possible to live in a society without government and very little law? Think about it? What happens when film makers and news journalists ever think about this kind of thing? They always immediately come to the conclusion that it's going to end in an apocalypse scenario or everyone will kill each other, where's the evidence for this? Nowhere of course! It all depends on the people you hang out with. You also get people particularly when it comes to Ron Paul's opinions ranting about how if there were no taxes etc. then people would be left to die in the streets or there wouldn't be any roads and infrastructure.

As far as I'm concerned as long as we can go through life without killing each other or being physically violent towards one another we've done a fucking good job, anything else is just trivial really.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: