Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:57:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think about vanity addresses?  (Read 642 times)
BitTalkyy (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 11:06:54 AM

So I was finding vanity addresses on the blockchain, and I found this:
Code:
1BitcoinEaterAddressDontSendf59kuE (http://btc.blockr.io/address/info/1BitcoinEaterAddressDontSendf59kuE)
The guy who generated it probably had a lot of free time
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jt byte

Activity: 994
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 11:13:31 AM

There was a thread explaning how these addresses were generated.
But i can say the the amount sent there can not be spent.
Basically all bitcoins sent to this address are lost.
BitTalkyy (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 11:15:11 AM

I know how to generate these addresses, as I have some on my own. But this one is REALLY long
jt byte

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 11:18:08 AM

I know how to generate these addresses, as I have some on my own. But this one is REALLY long

But i don't think that this address is generated using vanity.
Because it takes too long and lots of power.
If it was generated then the owner must have the private key to spent these bitcoins.
It has something to do with the hash and other things that i don't understand which I've read here(can't find that thread)
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2015, 11:30:22 AM

While i think it's cool to have a customized easy-to-remember address, for me this is something I can do without. Just imagine the amount of time and computing power needed to find the correct combination. Some people will take this as a hobby though but not me.

okae
Legendary

Activity: 1401
Merit: 1008

northern exposure

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2015, 11:30:31 AM

So I was finding vanity addresses on the blockchain, and I found this:
Code:
1BitcoinEaterAddressDontSendf59kuE (http://btc.blockr.io/address/info/1BitcoinEaterAddressDontSendf59kuE)
The guy who generated it probably had a lot of free time

i think that's the longest and cool vanity address that i have never seen, this made me think about how many time he has needed to build it.

hell just thinking about that made me feel tired xD

It has something to do with the hash and other things that i don't understand which I've read here(can't find that thread)

maybe this one? -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=84569.0

IMHO #1.b of suspects, Hal Finney is/was S.N.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4436

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 11:34:40 AM

vanity addresses are generated by going through lots of private key generations until it finds a result.
to get an address with just 6 digits takes a while. a long while. but worth it as it can be a good way to advertise the business/purpose of the address.
and doing it using the vanity address generator ensures you get the privkey associated with it..

however, 1BitcoinEaterAddressDontSendf59kuE was not created using a vanity gen program.

the guy does not have the privkey. he simply wrote 1BitcoinEaterAddressDontSend and then done the 'checksum' calculation to finish off the public address to ensure its treated as a valid public address by the bitcoin network.

but as i said its not a true privkey address, once the funds are associated with the public key. they are locked in and lost forever.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6099

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 11:36:26 AM

Just generated one:

1ButthisoneisREALLYLooooong33ixxX

based on:

But this one is REALLY long

Aren't those long addresses easier to crack (to get their private keys) ? I mean they are not random as the one the wallets generates .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 11:38:33 AM

Just generated one:

1ButthisoneisREALLYLooooong33ixxX

based on:

But this one is REALLY long

Aren't those long addresses easier to crack (to get their private keys) ? I mean they are not random as the one the wallets generates .

Their private keys are perfectly random just like any other randomly generated key pairs. BTW, I have no private key to the address...
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 11:38:55 AM

While i think it's cool to have a customized easy-to-remember address, for me this is something I can do without. Just imagine the amount of time and computing power needed to find the correct combination. Some people will take this as a hobby though but not me.

Exactly, who cares about this! An address is an address as long as it serves its purpose. This is just for people that have too much time on their hands!
jt byte

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 11:43:07 AM

A legendary member had explained how these addresses are generated.
It's not that link, however generating an address like this i think it takes lots of years (or simple impossible) using vanity.
Q7 i think it would a good idea to have an easy-to-remember address but the possibility is zero.
okae
Legendary

Activity: 1401
Merit: 1008

northern exposure

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2015, 11:57:44 AM

It's not that link, however generating an address like this i think it takes lots of years (or simple impossible) using vanity.
Q7 i think it would a good idea to have an easy-to-remember address but the possibility is zero.

ohh well you are in truth, i just want to help, you know, btw my post was before that legendary member rank post Wink

IMHO #1.b of suspects, Hal Finney is/was S.N.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 12:18:05 PM

I wonder whether a layer on top is being developed that'll make addresses more manageable and memorable. In that case all that electricity expended for vanity addresses might all have been for nothing. They're a fun idea but appropriately named.
poncho32

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 02:30:52 PM

That link is to a sort of "mining pool" that Otoh started for for creating vanity addresses, which is still operational. A few years ago he made this post showing the "longest" address his "pool" had managed to generate. I think generating anywhere beyond nine chosen characters is very difficult and too time consuming.

The longest to date generated by ThePiachu's Vanity Pool & thread btw is 9 chars after the initial 1 for 1ELiZABETHdzGTuQeg2RnCcWBMVo3ySfTz that I'd requested as a gift for someone.

Vanity addresses could be useful if used by top rich list holders such as exchanges to let people know who owns a top wallet.
maokoto

Activity: 770

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2015, 03:37:18 PM

Cool adresses. It is amazing to see what some people do to entertain themselves.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: