Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:43:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Seasonic PSU's and powering ASIC's  (Read 3191 times)
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 06:34:39 PM

My rule of thumb: a PSU's continuous load usage should be the same percentage of max load as the PSU's peak efficiency.

If you've got a 1000W PSU that's only 80% efficient, then I'd only trust it to run at 80% of it's max load, or 800W.

If you've got a 1000W PSU that's 90% efficient, then I'd trust it to run at 90% of it's max load, or 900W.

This assumes a quality PSU, as well. I'm loving my Seasonic 650W Gold, and I'd trust that up to ~600W no problem.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 02:40:23 AM

My rule of thumb: a PSU's continuous load usage should be the same percentage of max load as the PSU's peak efficiency.

If you've got a 1000W PSU that's only 80% efficient, then I'd only trust it to run at 80% of it's max load, or 800W.

If you've got a 1000W PSU that's 90% efficient, then I'd trust it to run at 90% of it's max load, or 900W.

You should not call this a "rule of thumb". A rule of thumb is in general based on a scientific reasoning or experimental validation. But here, you are just playing with numbers to make them "line up" in a way no more scientific than TV watchers who prefer the sound level to be set to an even number instead of an odd number.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 03:32:28 AM

You should not call this a "rule of thumb". A rule of thumb is in general based on a scientific reasoning or experimental validation. But here, you are just playing with numbers to make them "line up" in a way no more scientific than TV watchers who prefer the sound level to be set to an even number instead of an odd number.
I think it's been pretty conclusively proven that even numbers sound at least 34.5% better than the next highest odd number.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 05:16:08 AM

no more scientific than TV watchers who prefer the sound level to be set to an even number instead of an odd number.

Christ on a crutch, that's a thing?  Really?  Talk about OCD, holy shit!

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
panda1

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 05:24:20 AM

Rule of Thumb - Desktop Publishing - About.com
desktoppub.about.com/od/glossary/g/Rule-Of-Thumb.htm
Definition: A rule of thumb is an easy-to-remember guideline that isn't necessarily a hard-and-fast rule or scientific formula but it's more than just a dumb guess.
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 05:32:03 AM

Rule of Thumb - Desktop Publishing - About.com
desktoppub.about.com/od/glossary/g/Rule-Of-Thumb.htm
Definition: A rule of thumb is an easy-to-remember guideline that isn't necessarily a hard-and-fast rule or scientific formula but it's more than just a dumb guess.

I agree with this definition, and what I said is compatible. I said "in general" it is based on scientific logic, not "necessarily".
And crazyates's suggestion is precisely nothing more than a "dumb guess".
(Sorry crazyates, I sound harsh. Don't take it as a personal attack. I am just here to correct technical knowledge.)
mistfpga (OP)

Activity: 86
Merit: 13

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 04:30:27 PM

I like single rail psu's too.

I have updated the op with more details from seasonic re:1000 watt platinum. (second quote)
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 01:22:48 AM

I agree with this definition, and what I said is compatible. I said "in general" it is based on scientific logic, not "necessarily".
(Sorry crazyates, I sound harsh. Don't take it as a personal attack. I am just here to correct technical knowledge.)

I will be the first to admit that it's not exactly scientific. My reasoning is based off the amount of heat that is dumped into a PSU due to inefficiency. An 80 Plus Gold PSU will waste less energy in the form of heat, so it's easier to cool. Thus, you could probably pull a higher continuous load and not have to worry about temps. I also gave a disclaimer and said you should be running a high quality PSU. If you pick up a 850W PSU for $50 on sale from a no-name brand, then you're just asking for trouble. I just sorta go by this rule to give myself a good starting point.

no more scientific than TV watchers who prefer the sound level to be set to an even number instead of an odd number.
I totally do that. TV volume, car stereo volume, my PC's volume adjustments... they all have to be even numbers. I'm also OCD about a lot of other things, so it's nothing new.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 03:19:55 AM

I will be the first to admit that it's not exactly scientific. My reasoning is based off the amount of heat that is dumped into a PSU due to inefficiency. An 80 Plus Gold PSU will waste less energy in the form of heat, so it's easier to cool. Thus, you could probably pull a higher continuous load and not have to worry about temps. I also gave a disclaimer and said you should be running a high quality PSU. If you pick up a 850W PSU for $50 on sale from a no-name brand, then you're just asking for trouble. I just sorta go by this rule to give myself a good starting point.

I totally do that. TV volume, car stereo volume, my PC's volume adjustments... they all have to be even numbers. I'm also OCD about a lot of other things, so it's nothing new.

Most quality PSUs are rated to run continuously at their full labelled power. Many reviewers even use hotbox torture chambers to verify stability of PSUs at full and even over-load.

If you plan to run a PSU near or at it's label, get a quality PSU, and don't worry about rules of thumb.
Meatball

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 03:45:49 AM

Most quality PSUs are rated to run continuously at their full labelled power. Many reviewers even use hotbox torture chambers to verify stability of PSUs at full and even over-load.

If you plan to run a PSU near or at it's label, get a quality PSU, and don't worry about rules of thumb.

Agreed, but no matter the quality, you're likely to get longer life out of a PSU if it's not running 100% load 24x7
bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 03:52:47 AM

Agreed, but no matter the quality, you're likely to get longer life out of a PSU if it's not running 100% load 24x7

Agreed. But to be fair, one must consider what that lifespan might reasonably be. I have an old Antec something or other from 1995(ish) sitting my room, that still works, but I would never use it, nor could I, as it has like 50% of the wattage delivered on the 3.3V and 5V lines. I suspect most PSUs will outlive your use for it either way, and it can even be a blessing for hardware to die if you have some weird crazy OCD about usable hardware (like me Shocked, I have piles of "working" but worthless old hardware).
Meatball

Activity: 378

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 05:06:10 AM

Heh, yeah, I know, we all have piles of hardware that are a waste.  I still have four 30 pin, 1 MB/70 ms Simm RAM chips that I paid $100 each for from my first real PC. (Compudyne 486DX2/50)  Why?  I don't know, but I think all techies have a bit of hoarder in them.
kwoody

Activity: 454

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 02:10:15 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182082

This just arrived today and I'm going to use it to power 3 bASIC devices.. as most Platinum rated PSUs go this one is underrated in wattage, puts out a good 100w more than sticker. Single 12v rail. should do the trick right?
Liquid

Activity: 826

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 02:32:42 AM

Seasonic

Silverstone Strider

Corsair AX

Enermax Platimax

Are the Best PSUs you can buy

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: