Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 11:45:54 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone with a lot of MH/s want to fork the TerraCoin chain?  (Read 4113 times)
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 02:23:41 AM

Why would anyone destroy an alt coin it seems stupid to me, leave it simulate itself i want to see how this plays out without manipulation  Sad

Nobody should have the power or control over any coin that's what Bitcoin is all about no control and full decentralization

I don't agree. Anything that can be cheaply destroyed should be destroyed. If no one tries to lay waste to these chains, there will be no empirical evidence of security differences across chains.

Does that extend to personal property? Because gasoline is pretty cheap.

I'm going to edit that to note the reference to the Joker in Batman when he was talking about why he doesn't need ton's of money. Because the things he likes "gasoline and explosives" are cheap.

This my second edit: That's a really jerk way of thinking about things. Websites are destroyed cheaply and easily, so are sand castles, and people's hard work. There is no security difference with terracoin, it's an exact copy of bitcoin that new users can fool around with. Let it go, just because you can be a jerk doesn't mean you have to be one. No one 51% bitcoin at it's start because people thought it was cool and enjoyed the experiment. Let others have their curiosity and fun.

more or less retired.
tacotime (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 03:51:09 AM

I only have 3Gh but im down. Hit me up in IRC

I've got 2.5.  Only need another 45 to kill the network.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
Liquid

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:48:48 AM

I only have 3Gh but im down. Hit me up in IRC

I've got 2.5.  Only need another 45 to kill the network.

Use your hash power for something productive  Roll Eyes

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 09:15:39 AM

Why would anyone destroy an alt coin it seems stupid to me, leave it simulate itself i want to see how this plays out without manipulation  Sad

Nobody should have the power or control over any coin that's what Bitcoin is all about no control and full decentralization

I don't agree. Anything that can be cheaply destroyed should be destroyed. If no one tries to lay waste to these chains, there will be no empirical evidence of security differences across chains.

No, but it extends to locks.
BlackBison

Activity: 250
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 12:47:16 PM

I'm going to edit that to note the reference to the Joker in Batman when he was talking about why he doesn't need ton's of money. Because the things he likes "gasoline and explosives" are cheap.

This my second edit: That's a really jerk way of thinking about things. Websites are destroyed cheaply and easily, so are sand castles, and people's hard work. There is no security difference with terracoin, it's an exact copy of bitcoin that new users can fool around with. Let it go, just because you can be a jerk doesn't mean you have to be one. No one 51% bitcoin at it's start because people thought it was cool and enjoyed the experiment. Let others have their curiosity and fun.

Very poor analogies. Bitcoin is self regulated by a consensus of the miners. The miners can choose to do whatever they want. If they want to fork the chain so be it. Those are the rules of the game, no use crying about it just because people are trying to foil a potential pump and dump.

Society and regular business is regulated by government laws decided (hopefully) by a democratic majority. So you are not allowed to destroy other peoples property/work etc. With Terracoin you are dead wrong about destroying someones hard work... nothing is being destroyed that is the way the system has been designed.

Note: I am a proponent of diversity in cryptocurrencies as I believe Bitcoin cannot survive alone, ie. if it is truly a revolutionary concept then competitors must arise forming a Crypto currency ecosystem... and this system may one day not include BTC! So I am not a bitcoin fanboy/hoarder etc. Just there is nothing morally wrong with attacking chains, thats how they were designed. Your argument is just poor and lacks logic. You got a problem with that go pump PPC instead  Grin

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 01:14:08 PM

Very poor analogies. Bitcoin is self regulated by a consensus of the miners. The miners can choose to do whatever they want. If they want to fork the chain so be it. Those are the rules of the game, no use crying about it just because people are trying to foil a potential pump and dump.

Society and regular business is regulated by government laws decided (hopefully) by a democratic majority. So you are not allowed to destroy other peoples property/work etc. With Terracoin you are dead wrong about destroying someones hard work... nothing is being destroyed that is the way the system has been designed.

Note: I am a proponent of diversity in cryptocurrencies as I believe Bitcoin cannot survive alone, ie. if it is truly a revolutionary concept then competitors must arise forming a Crypto currency ecosystem... and this system may one day not include BTC! So I am not a bitcoin fanboy/hoarder etc. Just there is nothing morally wrong with attacking chains, thats how they were designed. Your argument is just poor and lacks logic. You got a problem with that go pump PPC instead  Grin

Correction, my argument has logic, you just disagree with it. Not everything is automatically a pump and dump you know. Let people work on their projects in peace. We aren't taking anything from the Bitcoin community, so it would be nice to just let it go. Not once has an alt-coing threatened BTC in any way, let us play our monopoly with our own monopoly money. There are better uses of people's time then messing up others projects.

Besides, after terracoin you can just fork bitcoin again, and again, and again. On and on. Terracoin has zero monetary value, let it be some people's educational project. Sheez.

more or less retired.
LiteBit
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 01:23:46 PM

It's actually worse than pointless, since the addresses used start with a 1 the same as bitcoin.  This is something that the creators of the other alternate chains did not mess up!  A terracoin address is not easily identifiable as a terracoin address.

+1 I think this was a terrible idea.  What happens if we send bitcoin to terracoin addy?  Lost coins?
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 01:25:13 PM

It's actually worse than pointless, since the addresses used start with a 1 the same as bitcoin.  This is something that the creators of the other alternate chains did not mess up!  A terracoin address is not easily identifiable as a terracoin address.

+1 I think this was a terrible idea.  What happens if we send bitcoin to terracoin addy?  Lost coins?

I would hope that whatever you're doing with BTC you keep well separate from TRC. :-)

But I do hope they fix that. Just to be more clear.

more or less retired.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 01:44:53 PM

Correction, my argument has logic, you just disagree with it. Not everything is automatically a pump and dump you know. Let people work on their projects in peace. We aren't taking anything from the Bitcoin community, so it would be nice to just let it go. Not once has an alt-coing threatened BTC in any way, let us play our monopoly with our own monopoly money. There are better uses of people's time then messing up others projects.

Besides, after terracoin you can just fork bitcoin again, and again, and again. On and on. Terracoin has zero monetary value, let it be some people's educational project. Sheez.

Do not waste time on them, really. Don't wake them up from Bitcoin dream, that way it'll hurt much more one day when Satoshi and
few other early adaptors decide to cash-out, and flood exchanges with their millions of BTC premined and hoarded for so many years.
+1

more or less retired.
pyra-proxy

Activity: 490

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 02:13:01 PM

+1 I think this was a terrible idea.  What happens if we send bitcoin to terracoin addy?  Lost coins?

Assuming the fork simply left addresses alone, Bitcoin would go to the Bitcoin clone of the terra address. In practice, yes, lost coins.

or a gift awaiting some fortunate newcomer :-)

bushstar

Activity: 617
Merit: 531

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 03:33:38 PM

Why would anyone destroy an alt coin it seems stupid to me

Surely running a 51% is only testing the coins robustness. It is not stupid to test coins in this way but sensible in my opinion.

We are here because we are interested in alternative cryptocurrencies. We want them to evolve into something better than what is already available. We are all watching the Darwinian process of cryptocurrencies. Launching tests on coins like 51% helps weed out the weak coins. If a coin can survive a 51% attack then we can all be reassured by that fact. If it cannot then it was not meant to be.

I have 2.4Mh to contribute.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 04:09:17 PM

Surely running a 51% is only testing the coins robustness. It is not stupid to test coins in this way but sensible in my opinion.

We are here because we are interested in alternative cryptocurrencies. We want them to evolve into something better than what is already available. We are all watching the Darwinian process of cryptocurrencies. Launching tests on coins like 51% helps weed out the weak coins. If a coin can survive a 51% attack then we can all be reassured by that fact. If it cannot then it was not meant to be.

I have 2.4Mh to contribute.

It is only USUALLY "stupid" to those who have invested actual money into the coin which make such claims.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

LiteBit
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 04:18:12 PM

How stupid one must be to not realise he's dealing with TRC, not BTC, or the oppossite case? Should we really protect such people?

Population average IQ is already lowest ever. For the sake of healthy specie, we should remove any and all safety measures, now!  Grin

Remember: We're trying to create digital currency for the masses.  If my granny starts using this it needs to be logical  and easy to adopt.  Assuming people are idiots or not as smart as you isn't the way to go to move this idea forward.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 04:20:24 PM

It's not stupid, but here's the thing- it's based on Bitcoin, so already know how to 51% it. There is no difference in the protocol at this point. This sort of 51% has been done before, so nothing would be learned by that.

Second: you make a valid point about testing the robustness- but couldn't you guys wait until maybe we were like, "Hey, we came up with a cool idea to protect the coin- can you try 51% to test it?"

The coin has been out since the 28th of October. Thats like a week. Can we not be allowed enough time to come up with something?

We're mostly novice programers here. I understand the value of testing the robustness of something, but if we can use the analogy of a bank: your robbing the vault when a) nothing of value is inside and b) the vault hasn't even been fully built yet.

Besides, can't you guys just take it as an education project?

Okay, that's it for me. I'm going to try and avoid this topic from now on. I asked politely and gave good (albeit perhaps emotional) reasons why we should be left alone.

If you want to take your robot hearts and crush it just because "Logic dictates" and you believe that not even niche subforms of small groups of amateur DIY types deserve to exist in a non-darwinian evolutionary battle to the death for not even the shortest amounts of time, well then the plea's of an enthusiast were never going to convince you anyway.

more or less retired.
bushstar

Activity: 617
Merit: 531

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 04:29:25 PM

It's not so fair if we see them building their own club house and we just go burn it down. :-(

I must admit that your analogy above did tug at my robot heartstrings Smiley

Revalin

Activity: 728

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 08:54:25 PM

No.  The intended recipient can export their TC key pair and import it into a BTC wallet.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 09:34:40 PM

It's not stupid, but here's the thing- it's based on Bitcoin, so already know how to 51% it. There is no difference in the protocol at this point. This sort of 51% has been done before, so nothing would be learned by that.

Second: you make a valid point about testing the robustness- but couldn't you guys wait until maybe we were like, "Hey, we came up with a cool idea to protect the coin- can you try 51% to test it?"

The coin has been out since the 28th of October. Thats like a week. Can we not be allowed enough time to come up with something?

We're mostly novice programers here. I understand the value of testing the robustness of something, but if we can use the analogy of a bank: your robbing the vault when a) nothing of value is inside and b) the vault hasn't even been fully built yet.

Really. Come up with a way to prevent 51% attacks of nascent blockchains and preserve all the features of the bitcoin POW scheme. That would be innovation! Checkpointing is only a workaround.

In this regard attacking all nascent chains would provide an evolutionary pressure to create a decent solution...

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 02:56:57 AM

Besides, can't you guys just take it as an education project?

The creators of the chain would get quite an education if they had to deal with real-world attacks.

Buy & Hold
obisunk

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 03:02:31 AM

I think there's nothing wrong with people trying something new.

Starting a crytocurrency is like grounding a new town on a piece of wild and pristine land.  When someone started TRC, they simply plopped down a sign saying "free land", and people who adopted TRC started pitching tents there.  Whether or not this piece of land will develop into a golden city will depend on the people who invested in TRC.  Or it could just turn into a ghostown in a month.

I don't think nuking a tent city is something even warranted unless we feel a great threat, which I don't think we should.
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 03:50:09 AM

I think there's nothing wrong with people trying something new.

Starting a crytocurrency is like grounding a new town on a piece of wild and pristine land.  When someone started TRC, they simply plopped down a sign saying "free land", and people who adopted TRC started pitching tents there.  Whether or not this piece of land will develop into a golden city will depend on the people who invested in TRC.  Or it could just turn into a ghostown in a month.

I don't think nuking a tent city is something even warranted unless we feel a great threat, which I don't think we should.

Excellent analogy.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: