Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:36:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie help  (Read 1930 times)
niallo27 (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 02:48:59 PM

Hi all, i am thinking of doing my thesis on the viability of mining for bitcoin in my country. I am not looking to turn a profit although it would be great if i could just want to get up and running. I am thinking of a budget of around 500 euro for hardware. Could anyone help me on my way, am i better off going second hand or buying new. Any help would be appreciated.

▲▼ No.1 Bitcoin Binary Options ▲▼
████████████ sec◔nds trade ████████████
↑↓ Highest Reward 190% ↑↓

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Hexcoin

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 02:58:52 PM

Hi all, i am thinking of doing my thesis on the viability of mining for bitcoin in my country. I am not looking to turn a profit although it would be great if i could just want to get up and running. I am thinking of a budget of around 500 euro for hardware. Could anyone help me on my way, am i better off going second hand or buying new. Any help would be appreciated.

I suggest you to buy brand new, even it is more expensive you can assure that the rigs will not be broke in less time
niallo27 (OP)

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 03:00:43 PM

Can you point me in the direction of some decent hardware please.

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2015, 03:21:52 PM

If this is just as a basis for a thesis and you're not looking to make a profit, there's no need for you to purchase 500 Euro worth of equipment.  Pick up a USB stick miner (look for the sidehack sticks).  That would get you mining.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
niallo27 (OP)

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 03:24:30 PM

If this is just as a basis for a thesis and you're not looking to make a profit, there's no need for you to purchase 500 Euro worth of equipment.  Pick up a USB stick miner (look for the sidehack sticks).  That would get you mining.

I find the whole thing fascinating though so would not mind putting a bit of money into it.

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2015, 03:42:02 PM

Well, since you're talking in terms of Euros, I'm going to assume you've got some VAT and import duties and all that other fun stuff to consider as well when making a purchase.  With a 500 Euro budget, you're not going to find any new hardware at all.  The only real "new" gear for sale is the S7 by Bitmain - and those are currently sold out.  You could probably pick up a used S5 and power supply for that budget.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
niallo27 (OP)

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 04:00:38 PM

What do you think of these https://www.bitshopper.de/shop/sha-256-miner-en/usb-miner-bitcoin-en/gekkoscience-compac/?lang=en
Sidehack recommends this supplier if your based in Europe. Should i maybe start of with two

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2015, 04:36:26 PM

Those are the USB sticks I referred to in my previous post Smiley

niallo27 (OP)

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 05:06:56 PM

They seems a lot more expensive here in europe, thanks for your help by they way. I have an older PC i plan to run these off. Does it matter this pc is not a high spec one.

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2015, 06:03:39 PM

If you're planning on using the computer's USB ports, check to see how much power is supplied to them.  I don't know the full specs of the sticks (maybe ping sidehack), but know that to get the higher levels of performance you need to be able to supply them power, which is usually through a powered USB hub.  The computer itself just needs to be able to run the mining software, which should not be a problem at all... I run cgminer on a raspberry pi.

cflocation

Activity: 327
Merit: 250

it's a hardware thing!

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 08:46:33 PM

I have yet to buy new hardware I buy everything used from Craigslist or eBay. With the purchase of over 65+ miners in 2 years I have never received a broken one. You pay a premium price to get one new and the ROI is normally twice as long.

Just my 2c
niallo27 (OP)

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 08:50:39 PM

Are there any decent 2nd hand USB sticks available on eBay. If i was to get two sticks and a powered hub. Is this all i would need from a hardware side to get started. Thanks for the help everyone

VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 10:08:02 PM

Are there any decent 2nd hand USB sticks available on eBay. If i was to get two sticks and a powered hub. Is this all i would need from a hardware side to get started. Thanks for the help everyone

The only USB stick you should be buying currently is the Sidehack GekkoScience usb stick. Goes up to 20GH/s. But you will also need y splitter since the powered hub's sockets itself can't handle the power draw.

Personally i run it mildy clocked at 225hz and i get 13ghs~

If you want some actual hashrate however i'd go with a pod or maybe a old Antminer S1 depending on your electricity costs.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 10:43:00 PM

The Sidehack sticks are the only sticks in existance that use a reasonably-current ASIC - they are far superior in pretty much every way to any other stick out there, and oddly enough they're actually cheaper than some folks try to sell their older outdated stuff for.

DO pay attention to the power need though, they DO greatly exceed USB 3 (much less USB 2) specs for how much the port can supply if you run them anywhere near their maximum capabilities.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 31, 2015, 12:07:13 AM

The Sidehack sticks are the only sticks in existance that use a reasonably-current ASIC - they are far superior in pretty much every way to any other stick out there, and oddly enough they're actually cheaper than some folks try to sell their older outdated stuff for.

DO pay attention to the power need though, they DO greatly exceed USB 3 (much less USB 2) specs for how much the port can supply if you run them anywhere near their maximum capabilities.

It's a little dated at this point but best guide on USB hub is here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=253749.0

It varies greatly on how many usb sticks you can use and how much power they have.  The above guide gives you a god idea on some different hubs and power they have.
niallo27 (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 09:40:23 PM

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it.

extrabyte
Legendary

Activity: 840

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 09:45:55 PM

I would suggest to buy some bigger mining rigs and don't bother with the usb miners or those dual miners (bitcoin and litecoin)

Mining with these USB miners does not worth, since your budget is limited i would suggest Antminer S4 (on amazon an used costs $675.97)
niallo27 (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 09:52:21 PM

What you guys think of a second hand S3 for 250 euro. Are these easier to set up than the USBs

extrabyte
Legendary

Activity: 840

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 09:56:02 PM

What you guys think of a second hand S3 for 250 euro. Are these easier to set up than the USBs

Just search in youtube[1] first and you will find many results how to setup an Antminer S3.

Don't compare things from the setup complexity but by the hash rate and how long does it reach to get the investment back.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=antminer+s3+setup
niallo27 (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 10:03:27 PM

Ok i will do. I will be in canada for few weeks with work in a few weeks. Would the price over there be a lot cheaper plus i will have free electricity for the few weeks i am there.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: